When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Re: Bunny Trails

Post by Wade »

RZehr wrote:
Wade wrote:
RZehr wrote:
I think these are all really good points, and reasons not to vote. I don't promote voting. But I can't really say it is sin, even while I can say that it is less than ideal.

Just as I don't like it when some start watering down and relabeling sin as weaknesses or whatever, I also don't want to overreach in the other direction and call something sin, when it may not be.
I agree with you. But still confused and not sure if I understand completely in the context?
So I just have a couple questions:
Have I given the impression that voting is sin?
Or do I give impressions like that about weakness being sin?

If I did/do could I have some help in pointing those things out to me so that I could work more on my communication skills and not give the wrong impression that was not my intent. Thank you.

I just put this hear to not clutter up the other thread.
I'm sorry Wade. I should have thought a little more before writing. Afterword I thought that this was ripe for misinterpretation. Maybe I shouldn't have quoted your post.

Regarding your questions, no, I've not pickup anything from you saying voting is sin. And no, I've certainly not gotten the idea that you don't call sin, sin.

I believe that the ambassador analogy is a super good analogy for me, and especially for the voting question. But I don't think the ambassador analogy is perfect/complete. My intention was to add to the conversation, not necessarily to say that the ambassador point is not good.
I'ts just that the thoughts that I posted have been rolling around in my mind for a while, and I guess at the first mention of the ambassador analogy my thoughts just spilled out.
Thank you RZher for clarifying. I apologize for my misunderstanding.
It is a challenge for me personally to say things in an edifying way and desire to communicate well to be a blessing with others...
I think I might at times give the impression of arguing when my intent is more to talk things through...
I have lived many years without Christ and now just a few years of getting the privilege to engage with Mennonites.
Thank you to everybody for being willing to engage and be a blessing in helping, learning and growing in the Lord. :hug:
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Code: Select all

:                                                 :
:          CHANGE OF DIRECTION COMING             :
:.................................................:
Last edited by lesterb on Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
lesterb

Post by lesterb »

Just curious who will be the first person to die because of Trump reversing the gun laws? And how soon?
0 x
lesterb

Post by lesterb »

Code: Select all

:        CARRY ON WITH NORMAL PROGRAMMING         :
:.................................................:
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

lesterb wrote:Just curious who will be the first person to die because of Trump reversing the gun laws? And how soon?
Don't hold your breath.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

lesterb wrote:Just curious who will be the first person to die because of Trump reversing the gun laws? And how soon?
i'm not sure where your post was moved from, and, i know nothing about reversing gun laws (?) .. but, have been reading reports like this about gun sales:

Fortune / Jan 9, 2017
http://fortune.com/2017/01/09/donald-tr ... es-stocks/
Donald Trump’s Win Is Punishing Gun Company Stocks
Maya Rhodan
Jan 09, 2017
Gun sales fell last month following the election of Donald Trump as President, and analysts see a clear connection as gun enthusiasts no longer perceive a threat to the Second Amendment the way they did under President Obama—or might have under a President Hillary Clinton.

Shares of American Outdoor Brands, which owns Smith & Wesson, have fallen by 26% since Election Day and shares of Sturm, Ruger, and Co. are down by 16% over the same period, the New York Post reports. Gun background checks performed by the Federal Bureau of Investigations were also down in the month of December, though 2016 marked a record year for the background checks, with 27.5 million performed.

Analysts say the election of Trump is likely the reason for the slump. A report by Goldman Sachs, which is partially financing Bass Pro Shop's $5.5 billion acquisition of Cabela's, came to a similar conclusion.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Probably never. The average person who would have ended up being a prohibited person under that rule and who wanted a gun would have just resorted to a private party sale.

The rule ended up targeting veterans in particular, since a lot of them end up on disability. So that made it politically very unpopular with the right. I have to say that it seems a bit out of order for a country to put a gun in someone's hands, send him off to war, expect him to shoot people, then when he comes back with crippling anxiety and PTSD to tell him "you know what, you shouldn't have guns after all".
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote:
Probably never. The average person who would have ended up being a prohibited person under that rule and who wanted a gun would have just resorted to a private party sale.

The rule ended up targeting veterans in particular, since a lot of them end up on disability. So that made it politically very unpopular with the right. I have to say that it seems a bit out of order for a country to put a gun in someone's hands, send him off to war, expect him to shoot people, then when he comes back with crippling anxiety and PTSD to tell him "you know what, you shouldn't have guns after all".
certainly proven in Chicago, with the strictest gun laws in place, but gun violence raging+leading all U.S. cities. long before trump ever became an item; not improved with obama (from Chicago) as POTUS. a tremendous disappointment for many who sincerely saw obama as the second coming.

it would be nice if the disapponted would chill on trump, hold judgments until after he's failed, rather than .. (ahem) "jumping the gun." :-|

i don't expect this, because, i believe the worst fears are that trump will actually succeed more than fail, and this, to too many, is just more than could be tolerated. (i am not thinking of anyone on MN, but, the many sad ones in the world who believe they have nothing else to sustain them.)

these sad ones are prominent+noisy in the air waves, attempting to use their noise to control public opinion. they're good at what they do. that does not make them correct on any given matter.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
lesterb

Post by lesterb »

Josh wrote:

So, whose rights are most important? The poor veteran, or the dozen children that he kills with the gun people with your opinion allowed him to buy? And who is really to blame for their deaths?

Have you ever read the book, When I Lay My Isaac Down? That is an exact illustration of the kind of person you are talking about. Had he been protected from buying a gun, he would not have taken the life that put him in prison for the rest of his life.
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Keeping in mind Lester that even in our country with very strict gun laws it is not that hard for a person to get a gun if he wants one for illegal means. It happens every day I suspect. Remember Montreal just the other month.
0 x