Bunny Trails

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Is Trump legally qualified to be a presidential candidate?

Post by Ken »

Grace wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 6:48 pm
Ken wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 6:09 pm

In any event. What makes one a criminal is committing the crime. Not being convicted of it. If you murder someone you are a murderer regardless of whether or not you ever get caught and convicted. Likewise if you steal then you are a thief. Regardless of whether you are ever caught and convicted. And fraud is simply a sophisticated form of theft.
Well I am glad that is cleared up. When Biden's daughter was young and underage, she wrote in her diary that her Dad came in the shower with her. Although he was never convicted, does that make him a pedophile?
Of course. If Biden committed crimes then he is a criminal too.

Although if we are going to build a tally of the crimes committed by each presidential candidate I think we all know who is going to win that competition.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Re: Bunny Trails

Post by ken_sylvania »

Valerie wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 4:37 pm
ohio jones wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 4:26 pm
Ken wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 4:12 pm

Which comments or topics are you referring to?
I would say "if the shoe fits, wear it" but Valerie seems to think we shouldn't. Not sure how we got on that subject, but the bunny trails sometimes have a slipper-y slope.
It was a bunny trail started at the assumption Israel isn't supposed to defend itself per the teachings of Jesus. I simply was defending Israel which is not "partisan" but historical in their position against opposition. The quote I provided by an early Church teacher really wasn't to point out shoes or lack thereof. I do not know about the audience of Christians he was teaching and in what context. I'm merely trying to convey why Jews would not look at the war on Gaza like an Anabaptist
It's quite easy to understand why non-Christian Jews would not look at the war on Gaza like an Anabaptist. They have rejected Jesus and His teachings, while Anabaptists in general try to follow Jesus' teachings literally. Two diametrically opposed world views. What is strange to me is why anyone who professes to believe in and follow Jesus would want to defend the actions of people who reject Jesus.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

ken_sylvania wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 4:49 pm
ohio jones wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 4:26 pm
I would say "if the shoe fits, wear it" but Valerie seems to think we shouldn't. Not sure how we got on that subject, but the bunny trails sometimes have a slipper-y slope.
It was a bunny trail started at the assumption Israel isn't supposed to defend itself per the teachings of Jesus. I simply was defending Israel which is not "partisan" but historical in their position against opposition. The quote I provided by an early Church teacher really wasn't to point out shoes or lack thereof. I do not know about the audience of Christians he was teaching and in what context. I'm merely trying to convey why Jews would not look at the war on Gaza like an Anabaptist
It's quite easy to understand why non-Christian Jews would not look at the war on Gaza like an Anabaptist. They have rejected Jesus and His teachings, while Anabaptists in general try to follow Jesus' teachings literally. Two diametrically opposed world views. What is strange to me is why anyone who professes to believe in and follow Jesus would want to defend the actions of people who reject Jesus.
You're right, why on earth would I defend terrorists. Who try to destroy every Jew. That has been tried before. God has done miraculous things in their wars. I'm not defending their position regarding Jesus, just understanding why they are defending themselves.
Last edited by Valerie on Tue May 21, 2024 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

Valerie wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 4:52 pm Here is an interesting quote made by Origen in 248. " Christians could not slay their enemies. Nor could they condemn those who had broken the Law to be burned or stoned, as Moses commands.....However, in the case of the ancient Jews, who had a land and a form of government of their own, to take from them the right of making war upon their enemies, of fighting for their country, of putting to death or otherwise punishing adulterers, murderers, or others who were guilty of similar crimes, would have been to subject them to sudden and utter destruction whenever the enemy fell upon them."

Okay- as a Christian, he "gets it".

To understand the war on Gaza is to understand ancient history and the mindset of Jews and Muslims. You have to think outside an Anabaptist box to understand this war.

Actually, a very insightful former Amish man gave me an article he wrote quite awhile ago something like "Two Nations, One Womb" speaking into this history. No he left for Charity Churches not Evangelical, he had passed away. I need to hunt down that article.
He "gets" what? What point was Origen making?
Last edited by ken_sylvania on Tue May 21, 2024 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

Valerie wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 4:57 pm

You're right, why on earth would I defend terrorists. Who try to destroy every Jew.
I'm sure I don't know. Why are you defending the people who are killing the Gazan descendants of Abraham?
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

ken_sylvania wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 4:59 pm
You're right, why on earth would I defend terrorists. Who try to destroy every Jew.
I'm sure I don't know. Why are you defending the people who are killing the Gazan descendants of Abraham?
I think this is futile. ISRAEL was attacked October 7. Threatened to be completely anialated. You may go there and help them out with why they were supposed to just roll over and let that happen.

Question: why would Gaza chose a terrorist organization as their government?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Valerie wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:17 pm I think this is futile. ISRAEL was attacked October 7. Threatened to be completely anialated. You may go there and help them out with why they were supposed to just roll over and let that happen.
Can you explain how Israel choosing to bomb Orthodox and Catholic churches is okay?

There is no reasonable belief that Hamas was going to "completely annihilate" anybody. They are almost powerless compared to the IDF, as we can see now. This current war basically exists so that it can prolong Netanyahu's political career.

Here are some headlines from Israeli newspapers right now:

"Has Netanyahu Completely Lost His Bearings? Maybe. But Maybe It's Intentional

It is tempting to say that Israel is being led by a desperate man under severe political duress who seems to be suffering from intertwining syndromes that have afflicted the likes of Louis XIV and Shabbetai Zvi before him. Well, if it is being led at all"

Political cartoon:

"At This Rate, Israel Won't Make It to Its 100th Birthday

The Israeli elite will flee the country once they see that the various 'tribes' can't agree on a social contract, government-administration experts Eugene Kandel and Ron Tzur warn in a new paper"

From 972 Magazine:

"Israeli military censor bans highest number of articles in over a decade

The sharp rise in media censorship in 2023 comes as the Israeli government further undermines press freedoms, especially amid the Gaza war."

Netanyahu is currently being challenged by Gantz who is even more of a hardliner. In short, the current Israeli government is leading them down a path to end up roughly where South Africa was in the 1980s, and a lot of Israelis aren't happy about it.
0 x
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

Valerie wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:17 pm

I think this is futile. ISRAEL was attacked October 7. Threatened to be completely anialated. You may go there and help them out with why they were supposed to just roll over and let that happen.
Yes, it's probably futile to preach to the descendants of the persecuted Swiss Anabaptists about how the only available option for a persecuted people is to go on a rampage against their enemies.
Valerie wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:17 pm Question: why would Gaza chose a terrorist organization as their government?
Perhaps I'd be willing to suggest an answer after you tell me why you chose Biden as your president.
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

ken_sylvania wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:48 pm
Yes, it's probably futile to preach to the descendants of the persecuted Swiss Anabaptists about how the only available option for a persecuted people is to go on a rampage against their enemies.
Valerie wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:17 pm Question: why would Gaza chose a terrorist organization as their government?
Perhaps I'd be willing to suggest an answer after you tell me why you chose Biden as your president.
I did not chose Biden as president
0 x
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

Valerie wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:26 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:48 pm

I did not chose Biden as president
Exactly. I would guess there are a lot of Gazan civilians who have no desire to be killed because of the warmongering ways of a government they didn't want, just as you have no desire to be killed because of the warmongering ways of a president you didn't want.
0 x