Bunny Trails

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Christians and Trans

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:19 pm
RZehr wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:44 am Being a man is hard.
Yes. Thanks for saying it.

i admit, my view is not from insight, but from loss. losses.
husband, father, brother, grandfathers. uncles. brother in law. pastor. employers. friends. God designs us to carry on. He provides. but there is no substitute for what is missing.
Life can be hard for everyone, men and women.

But the suicide rate for men in the US is 3-4 times higher than for women. Which doesn't necessarily mean that men have it harder. But more likely means that men are less good at coping with adversity than women.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Ken wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:33 pm

husband, father, brother, grandfathers. uncles. brother in law. pastor. employers. friends. God designs us to carry on. He provides. but there is no substitute for what is missing.

But the suicide rate for men in the US is 3-4 times higher than for women. Which doesn't necessarily mean that men have it harder. But more likely means that men are less good at coping with adversity than women.
Wait. The elevated suicide rates for LGBTQ is indicative of their hard life, but for men it just means that women are better at dealing with adversity? I see.
1 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

RZehr wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:49 pm
temporal1 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:19 pm Yes. Thanks for saying it.

Wait. The elevated suicide rates for LGBTQ is indicative of their hard life, but for men it just means that women are better at dealing with adversity? I see.
Yeah from what I’ve always heard women make suicide attempts, men commit suicide.

Also, women have “documented” much higher rates of mood disorders, but it’s well known that men underreport mental health issues.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

i believe there are those present who understand my thoughts here.
interesting-enough, of all the losses my family has suffered, none were from suicide/attempted suicide, i’m grateful to be able to say.

i began learning about the special place males hold at about 10, when my grandfather died suddenly.
over years, i witnessed the ongoing loss it made on a big family, he left 9 adult children, many grandchildren .. our vibrant, busy family survived, but never the same. years later, my siblings and cousins have remarked similarly.

each one leaves a hole. scar tissue forms around the hole, but the hole remains.

i wonder if, as a culture, we could somehow convey to young boys+teens how important and special they are, HOW MUCH THEY ARE NEEDED, if this would help them resist lots of temptations that harm themselves and others? humans have a God-given sense of social responsibility that should be valued+nurtured. a TON of sin is resisted just because the potential sinner realizes his sin will harm his loved ones, and this price is too high. people who don’t value themselves more easily fall into sins+crimes.

when i think of so many men in prisons, i’m sad, all those men are needed in productive society.
it’s a failure+waste. not God’s plan.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Soloist wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:00 pm it’s well known that men underreport mental health issues.
Why did you look directly at me when you said that? :o
1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

RZehr wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:49 pm
temporal1 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:19 pm Yes. Thanks for saying it.

And we lose 22 combat vets a day to suicide (on average). They had it hard, too.

Just sayin'.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: “Former government lawyers say we need to limit the president's ability to deploy U.S. troops at home”

Post by Josh »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:56 pm
Josh wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:33 am
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:42 am

Their justification is part of the “elastic clause “, necessary and proper. In the judgment of generations of courts, they have been found constitutionally appropriate.
It seems like a “clause” one can drive a truck through, where every single thing ends up subject to federal jurisdiction, which is very much the opposite of what we know the intent of the framers was.
There was considerable debate there. Jefferson’s ideas largely lost out.
Yes, and now we have a gargantuan federal government with a gargantuan national debt, with a completely unsustainable future.
0 x
Jazman
Affiliation: Lanc Menno Conf

Re: “Former government lawyers say we need to limit the president's ability to deploy U.S. troops at home”

Post by Jazman »

Josh wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:44 am

It seems like a “clause” one can drive a truck through, where every single thing ends up subject to federal jurisdiction, which is very much the opposite of what we know the intent of the framers was.
Yes, and now we have a gargantuan federal government with a gargantuan national debt, with a completely unsustainable future.
There's some truth in that, but, if the far right got its rhetorical way... ie shut down, gut, corrupt the departments and agencies they complain about... well the unintended consequences of that would also be unsustainable...
Conservative prudence and good character would incrementally work to improve the different agencies and areas of governance.
0 x
A history that looks back to a mythologized past as the country’s perfect time is a key tool of authoritarians. It allows them to characterize anyone who opposes them as an enemy of the country’s great destiny. - Heather Cox Richardson
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:44 am

In the past 70 years, it is state and local government that has grown the most, not the Federal government. Which is what I thought you actually wanted to see. In fact, as a percentage of the population it is the Federal government that has shrunk in the past 50 years. This is from the Cato Institute

0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

You and I both know a great deal of those state and local positions are funded by and controlled by federal grants.
0 x