What are you reading?

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: What are you reading?

Post by MaxPC »

mike wrote:
RZehr wrote:I'm listening to The Benedict Option on Audible.
I'd be interested in your thoughts when finished.
RZehr and Mike: I'm interested in your thoughts on it as well.

Here's a tidbit that you might like while reading The Benedict Option. The Rule of St. Benedict which he cites was written by Benedict as a means of living out the New Testament teachings, Psalms and Proverbs. In particular, Benedict gave extra focus to the Beatitudes and the book of James as prescriptions for discipleship. I went to the Rule of St. Benedict online to read it for myself and found this out.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

MaxPC wrote:
gcdonner wrote:
MaxPC wrote: George, what is BAR? Biblical Anabaptist Review?
Bootstrap nailed it with Biblical Archaeology Review. Wonderful reading on historically relevant finds to the Bible, and even some controversy from time to time. They were very much a part of the process to finally get the Dead Sea Scrolls published, for which they are applauded.
Fascinating. What do you think of the book thus far?
I have some basic differences with the assumptions, but am finding much to appreciate and like BAR, it provides some good insight into historical references, which I appreciate.
The author calls for the early dating of the Revelation, to which I subscribe.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

MaxPC wrote:
JimFoxvog wrote:I'm reading Planted: A Story of Creation, Calling, and Community by Leah Kostamo. It is a book that is part of the inspiration of a new non-profit, Hungry World Farm ( https://www.facebook.com/Hungryworldfarm/ ), that I hope to be involved in.
Interesting, Jim. Is this a faith group or is it similar to 4-H and ag extension services? I tried the link to their site but it doesn't work.
The book is about a group associated with "A Rocha"; I'm just beginning to learn about it, but clearly Christian. The new group is a Mennonite started faith-based group. When they get a little more public, I'll share more.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

JimFoxvog wrote:
MaxPC wrote:
JimFoxvog wrote:I'm reading Planted: A Story of Creation, Calling, and Community by Leah Kostamo. It is a book that is part of the inspiration of a new non-profit, Hungry World Farm ( https://www.facebook.com/Hungryworldfarm/ ), that I hope to be involved in.
Interesting, Jim. Is this a faith group or is it similar to 4-H and ag extension services? I tried the link to their site but it doesn't work.
The book is about a group associated with "A Rocha"; I'm just beginning to learn about it, but clearly Christian. The new group is a Mennonite started faith-based group. When they get a little more public, I'll share more.
A little more public????
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Starting the complete works of Dirk Phillps
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

gcdonner wrote:
JimFoxvog wrote:
MaxPC wrote: Interesting, Jim. Is this a faith group or is it similar to 4-H and ag extension services? I tried the link to their site but it doesn't work.
A little more public????
They are still working on official statements. Here's what the press release says,
Hungry World Farm will focus on the following activities: educating people about food production, distribution, and consumption; addressing spiritual hunger in people's' lives; training local and international interns in farming techniques; and providing retreats for holistic growth and health. The transition will officially take place at the end of 2017.

If you would like to explore ways to partner in this new organization, or for more
information, please contact Cal Zehr, 815-646-4819, hungryworldfarm@gmail.com.
Cal Zehr is the pastor at Willow Springs Mennonite Church of Tiskilwa, IL.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.
(Scout) "I thought Mr. Cunningham was a friend of ours. You told me a long time ago he was."
(Atticus, Scout's father) "He still is.'
(Scout) "But last night he wanted to hurt you."
Atticus placed his fork beside his knife and pushed his plate aside. "Mr. Cunningham's basically a good man," he said, "he just has his blind spots along with the rest of us."
Jem spoke. "Don't call that a blind spot. He'da killed you last night when he first went there."
"He might have hurt me a little," Atticus conceded, "but son, you'll understand folks a little better when you're older. A mob's always made up of people, no matter what. Mr. Cunningham was part of a mob last night, but he was still a man. Every mob in every little Southern town is always made up of people you know - doesn't say much for them, does it?"
"I'll say not," said Jem.
"So it took an eight-year-old child to bring 'em to their senses, didn't it?" said Atticus. "That proves something - that a gang of wild animals can be stopped, simply because they're still human. Hmp, maybe we need a police force of children . . . you children last night made Walter Cunningham stand in my shoes for a minute. That was enough."
I think there is something powerful in Atticus' theory about conflict resolution - put yourself in the other person's shoes.

What do you think of Atticus' opinion that "Mr. Cunningham's basically a good man."? Is it a fair statement?
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

ken_sylvania wrote:To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.
(Scout) "I thought Mr. Cunningham was a friend of ours. You told me a long time ago he was."
Atticus placed his fork beside his knife and pushed his plate aside. "Mr. Cunningham's basically a good man," he said, "he just has his blind spots along with the rest of us."
Jem spoke. "Don't call that a blind spot. He'da killed you last night when he first went there."
"He might have hurt me a little," Atticus conceded, "but son, you'll understand folks a little better when you're older. A mob's always made up of people, no matter what. Mr. Cunningham was part of a mob last night, but he was still a man. Every mob in every little Southern town is always made up of people you know - doesn't say much for them, does it?"
"So it took an eight-year-old child to bring 'em to their senses, didn't it?" said Atticus. "That proves something - that a gang of wild animals can be stopped, simply because they're still human. Hmp, maybe we need a police force of children . . . you children last night made Walter Cunningham stand in my shoes for a minute. That was enough."
I think there is something powerful in Atticus' theory about conflict resolution - put yourself in the other person's shoes.

What do you think of Atticus' opinion that "Mr. Cunningham's basically a good man."? Is it a fair statement?
Fair to whom?
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

gcdonner wrote:

Fair to whom?
I was using the word "fair" more in the sense of accurate accurate or legitimate.
Fair - in accordance with the rules or standards; legitimate.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

ken_sylvania wrote:
gcdonner wrote:

Fair to whom?
I was using the word "fair" more in the sense of accurate accurate or legitimate.
Fair - in accordance with the rules or standards; legitimate.
It certainly is "fair" by today's standards, but not according to biblical standards. We have all sinned and come short...
I think there was a book written a while back entitled, "When good people do bad things."
0 x