What are you reading?

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Franklin
Affiliation: Old Testament

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Franklin »

Read this weekend:

The Grave Robbers by Michael Hari
Describes the changes in rural Illinois between the 1800s and now in the context of a bizarre crime that the author investigated when he worked for the local police. The book offers an interesting hypothesis for the decay of American culture, namely that American Christianity stopped emphasizing the fallen nature of Man and so stopped seeing a need to fix Man through education and proper family upbringing.

Germania by Tacitus
I read this because I was curious about pre-Christian German customs. It turns out that their morality wasn't far from what the Bible advocates. Their gods were abstract, not idols. And they had strict morals including monogamy and sexual morality.
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

I was looking for this topic under "Written Word". Found it under "Other".

Evolution's Achilles' Heels

One of the better books of it's sort that I have run across. Nine authors, all PHd's and experienced in their topic.

Buy it here...
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

I am presently reading, "Why I believe" by D. James Kennedy.
Just finished, "The Gospel Code", by Ben Witherington, which is an evangelical response to the Davinci Code, by Dan Brown. Witherington is a well respected scholar.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
francis
Affiliation:

Post by francis »

Under the Banner of Heaven by John Krakauer, which is about the dangers of fundamentalism, specifically within the Mormon church.
I'm also constantly re-reading the book of Romans.
0 x
Ambassador
Affiliation:

Post by Ambassador »

Absolute Surrender by Pablo Yoder. Up next is "A Vision for Kingdom Christianity" by David Robertson. Has anyone read this book? Who is David Robertson?
0 x
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

francis wrote:Under the Banner of Heaven by John Krakauer, which is about the dangers of fundamentalism, specifically within the Mormon church.
I'm also constantly re-reading the book of Romans.
Read that first one (well, I've read the second, one, too!), and now am reading a similar one on Kindle, "Escape." The leaders figured to follow the originator of the religion closely. We assay to follow "the author and finisher of our faith" closely; not the same.
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Neil Anderson's "The bondage Breaker." I am reading it - not yet studying it. Is it good? Is it questionable? Is it beyond question?
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Ambassador wrote:Absolute Surrender by Pablo Yoder. Up next is "A Vision for Kingdom Christianity" by David Robertson. Has anyone read this book? Who is David Robertson?
David Robertson is a Charity minister from Manitoba. Good brother. I have the book, but haven't got it read yet.
0 x
EdselB
Affiliation: conservative Menno

Post by EdselB »

Later Writings of the Swiss Anabaptists, 1529-1592.

I am not yet into the main part of the collection, "A Short, Simple Confession," c. 1590, but so far there is very interesting material in this collection.
0 x
Admiral Acbon
Affiliation: BMA

Post by Admiral Acbon »

My library sometime this year placed nonfiction audiobooks on their own rack, in front of the nonfiction book books. As I am a major fan of the genre, this pleased me greatly. I decided to pick the longest one sitting on the shelf, and consequently ended up with the 33 hour-long 'Clouds of glory : the life and legend of Robert E. Lee'.
0 x
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.