What are you reading?

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: What are you reading?

Post by MaxPC »

12 Rules of Life: An Antidote to Chaos by Jordan Peterson
Quite good. Loaded down with common sense and makes the difficult concepts of life easily understood. I recommend it highly.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Mama
Affiliation: Traditional Catholic

Post by Mama »

MaxPC wrote:The Bible and Dogma and Preaching: Applying Christian Doctrine to Daily Life
by Joseph Ratzinger aka Pope Benedict XVI
I’m curious how this one was?
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Mama wrote:
MaxPC wrote:The Bible and Dogma and Preaching: Applying Christian Doctrine to Daily Life
by Joseph Ratzinger aka Pope Benedict XVI
I’m curious how this one was?
Benedict/Joseph's writing style isn't for everyone. He is a scholar and tends to use academic language, making it a tough slog for many readers. It doesn't bother me, having worked in that language environment most of my life. Others tell me that it's difficult reading some of his books. I think his premises and teaching are well researched and extrapolated.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Finished reading Henry And The Great Society. Small book about a contented farmer (Henry) and his family go from a small quite farm life, peaceful and pleasant, to fast paced. In the name of progress and the good things in life, they proceed to accumulate more and more modern conveniences and responsibilities, at the cost of family, personal time, peace and tranquillity.
From farming with horses, to buying cars and electricity, and debt and a factory job that ruins Henry’s health.
Book ends on a strong Christian note even though It is absent in the story.
I recommend it.
“One last sobering thought comes to mind as I conclude this section: being creatures of habit we are, what inheritance shall we pass on to our children? We are concerned about their education, and the material fortune we can leave them; but what about the legacy of a way of life? We do not seem to remember that as we walk our feet are creating upon the impressionable earth a path that, although we are long gone, our children will continue to follow without thought or reason in regard to the rightness of it.”
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Michael and Christ
Michael tradition and angel christology in early Christianity “
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

On a John Grisham kick. Just read his non-fiction The Innocent Man, a very upsetting book concerning the near-execution of an innocent man. Currently reading The Confession.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Zena Halpern has spent more than a decade chasing down a fascinating story that has the potential to change history as we know it. It is the story, both of a secret 12th century Knights Templar mission to Oak Island and a mountain range in New York State, and of the efforts made by various secret societies over the centuries to either conceal or uncover the reasons for this mission.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Reflecting
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Reflecting »

I’ve spent the evening reading ... wait for it ...
Mennonet!

Sorry. Just begged to be said.
0 x
”reflectthelight” in MDland
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Just finished reading Boys Adrift, by Leonard Sax. Five stars, highly recommend it if you have young boys. Facinating, well written and makes sense. For the most part it fits nicely and compliments what we believe. I found it confirming in some areas and enlightening in others.
Go get it and read it.
He also wrote Girls On The Edge, which I have and will read next. His other books are The Collapse of Parenting; and Why Gender Matters.
0 x
QuietObserver
Affiliation:

Post by QuietObserver »

I'm listening to The Right Side of History: How Reason and Moral Purpose Made the West Great by Ben Shapiro. A great book if you enjoy philosophy.

His central premise is that Athens (reason) and Jerusalem (Judeo-Christian values) made Western civilization great, and that secularism is destroying Western civilization. He gives a brief summary of philosophy over the last 2,000 years. Shapiro (an Orthodox Jew) views Christianity as Judaism repackaged with some secular ideas, but he admits that Christianity has influenced civilization in a way Judaism never could have done.

This book isn't from a Christian perspective, so there's a lot to disagree with. Christians are called to follow Jesus, not spread Judeo-Christian values. But there's no question people who have Judeo-Christian values benefit from doing so.
0 x