Global Warning/Climate Change

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Re: Global Warning/Climate Change

Post by Robert »

Bootstrap wrote: The conclusions are not available on this link - where can I read the paper to see what the authors conclude? What position do the authors take on global warming?
All you have to do is pay the $41.95 to get a copy. 8-)

Yea, I didn't pay it either.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Raphael Seeck wrote in comments:
"While there will be predictable hysteria about U.S. President Donald Trump’s decision to withdraw from the Paris climate treaty Thursday, what he said about it was true.
It was also consistent with his pledge during the U.S. presidential election campaign to withdraw from the global climate treaty.
Simply put, he has done what he said he would do.

Trump was correct when he said Barack Obama’s endorsement of the United Nations’ treaty represented a loss of U.S. sovereignty over its own energy policy.
That’s also true for Canada, which remains committed to the Paris treaty under Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

Trump was correct when he said the Paris deal economically damaged the U.S. at the expense of foreign competitors, who do not face the same constraints on their energy resources as America did under its terms.
That’s also true for Canada, which is imposing an added cost on our fossil fuel industries through Trudeau’s national carbon pricing program, that the U.S., our largest trading partner, doesn’t impose on American companies.

Given that, expect Canadian federal and (most) provincial premiers to shower even more of our money on these big emitters to bribe them to stay here, instead of bolting for the U.S.

Trump was correct when he said the purpose of the Paris treaty was to redistribute wealth from the U.S. to China, India and the developing world, and to weaken its economy compared to Europe. (Also true for Canada.)
Indeed, UN climate officials have admitted global wealth redistribution is a key purpose of the Paris treaty.

Trump was correct when he said the Paris treaty will have an insignificant impact on global temperatures, even if every nation on earth meets its non-binding emission reduction targets.
Trump concluded, as he said, that his priority as U.S. president was to put American workers and families in “Youngstown, Ohio; Detroit, Michigan.; and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania ... ahead of Paris, France.”

It was an easy decision for him to make and it’s going to be welcomed by the people who voted for him, as opposed to Democrats, environmental activists and Hollywood celebrities who didn’t.
The real-world impact of Trump’s withdrawal from the Paris treaty isn’t environmental — environmentally, it’s a fraud — but financial.

America was expected to be the most significant contributor to the United Nations’ $100-billion-a year Green Climate Fund, in which Canada is also a participant.

That’s over for the U.S. whose withdrawal from the Paris treaty also sends a clear signal to America’s wind and solar industry that the era of massive public subsidies from their federal government is over.

Stock market speculators, Wall Street banks, fossil fuel companies and electrical utilities will also be disappointed by Trump’s decision, as they intended to profit from government-mandated carbon pricing schemes of the type now being imposed across Canada by Trudeau and most premiers.

Given that the U.S. is the second largest emitter of industrial greenhouse gases on the planet (China’s first), and the leader of the developed world, Trump’s withdrawal effectively kills the Paris treaty, but it was always a fraud from an environmental perspective.

The real news Thursday was Trump’s announcement that the U.S. government will no longer underwrite the Paris treaty with American wealth, extracted from American workers.
That, as Trump would say, is “huge.”"
i have no idea who Raphael Seeck is. from this post, evidently, he lives in Canada.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

temporal1 wrote:
"While there will be predictable hysteria about U.S. President Donald Trump’s decision to withdraw from the Paris climate treaty Thursday, what he said about it was true.
It was also consistent with his pledge during the U.S. presidential election campaign to withdraw from the global climate treaty. .... snip .....
i have no idea who Raphael Seeck is. from this post, evidently, he lives in Canada.
Actually, that quote is a copy-n-paste of an article in the Toronto Sun written by Lorrie Goldstein. Good example of why not to copy and post entire articles, especially if the source is not properly attributed.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

ken_sylvania wrote:
temporal1 wrote:
It was also consistent with his pledge during the U.S. presidential election campaign to withdraw from the global climate treaty. .... snip .....
Actually, that quote is a copy-n-paste of an article in the Toronto Sun written by Lorrie Goldstein. Good example of why not to copy and post entire articles, especially if the source is not properly attributed.
i wondered. this piece was so well-written, i wondered about "just some guy" writing it (spontaneously?) like that. there is so much poor writing, even from professional journalists. i thought, "well, somehow, he got an education." so, it was Lorrie Goldstein who listened in school. (probably home-schooled.) :D Toronto. even more surprising. :) thank you.

the original article is offered to share on FB, twitter, pintrest, etc.
i notice this a lot, too. so, Mr Seeck must have felt invited to share.

This, on Lorrie Goldstein:
http://www.torontosun.com/author/lorrie-goldstein
Lorrie Goldstein
Toronto Sun
Lorrie Goldstein is Acting Comment Editor of the Toronto Sun. He joined the Sun in 1978, working as a general assignment reporter, feature writer, Toronto City Hall reporter, Queen's Park reporter, columnist and bureau chief, City Editor and Editorial Page Editor. His main focus is on Toronto, Ontario, Canadian and global politics, with a special interest in the many controversies surrounding the issue of global warming.
i tried to email a short note to him, but, i have a Chrome deficiency.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Spotted this one today in a news feed:
The Hockey Stick Collapses: 60 New (2016) Scientific Papers Affirm Today’s Warming Isn’t Global, Unprecedented, Or Remarkable

By Kenneth Richard on 22. December 2016

Two fundamental tenets of the anthropogenic global warming narrative are (1) the globe is warming (i.e., it’s not just regional warming), and (2) the warming that has occurred since 1950 can be characterized as remarkable, unnatural, and largely unprecedented. In other words, today’s climate is substantially and alarmingly different than what has occurred in the past….because the human impact has been profound.

Well, maybe not. Scientists are increasingly finding that the two fundamental points cited above may not be supported by the evidence.

In 2016, an examination of the peer-reviewed scientific literature has uncovered dozens of paleoclimate reconstructions that reveal modern “global” warming has not actually been global in scale after all, as there are a large number of regions on the globe where it has been cooling for decades. Even if it was warming on a global scale, the paleoclimate evidence strongly suggests that the modern warm climate is neither unusual or profoundly different than it has been in the past. In fact, today’s regional warmth isn’t even close to approaching the Earth’s maximum temperatures achieved earlier in the Holocene, or as recently as 1,000 years ago (the Medieval Warm Period), when anthropogenic CO2 emissions could not have exerted a climate impact.

In fact, there is a growing body of evidence that the warming in recent decades is not even unprecedented within the context of the last 80 years. That’s because the amplitude of the 1930s and 1940s warm period matched or exceeded that of the warmth in the late 20th and early 21st centuries in many regions of the world. Furthermore, between the warmth of the 1930s and ’40s and the warmth of the 1990s to present, there was a very widely publicized cooling period (late 1950s to early 1970s) that was heavily discussed in the peer-reviewed scientific literature.

Today’s instrumental datasets curiously do not reflect this 20th century warming-cooling-warming oscillatory shape, however, as doing so would not lend support to the modeled understanding that climate is shaped by anthropogenic CO2 emissions, which have increased linearly, not cyclically. In fact, not only has the high amplitude of the 1930s and 1940s warmth been “adjusted” down or depressed in global-scale representations of instrumental temperatures by NASA or the MetOffice, the substantial cooling (-0.5°C in the Northern Hemisphere, including -1.5°C cooling in the Arctic region) that occurred in the 1960s and 1970s has all but disappeared from today’s temperature graphs.

Scientists, meanwhile, keep on publishing their results. And their results don’t lend support to the narrative that the globe has been synchronously warming, or warming in linear fashion and in concert with the rise in anthropogenic CO2 emissions. Indeed, in many regions of the world, decadal-scale cooling has occurred since the mid-20th century.

Listed below are a collection of 60 peer-reviewed scientific papers published within the last year (2016) undermining the “consensus” position that modern warming patterns are global in extent and synchronization, and that today’s warmth is both unusual and unprecedented. The first section (1) identifies the regions of the world where there has been no net warming in recent decades. The second section (2) puts modern climate into its much larger Holocene context, revealing just how insignificant and unremarkable this current (regional) warming trend has been relative to history.

(1) ‘Global’ Warming? No Net Warming In These Regions Since Mid Or Late 20th Century

De Jong et al., 2016 (Andes, South America)

[T]he reconstruction…shows that recent warming (until AD 2009) is not exceptional in the context of the past century. For example, the periods around AD 1940 and from AD 1950–1955 were warmer. This is also shown in the reanalysis data for this region and was also observed by Neukom et al. (2010b) and Neukom and Gergis (2011) for Patagonia and central Chile. Similarly, based on tree ring analyses from the upper tree limit in northern Patagonia, Villalba et al. (2003) found that the period just before AD 1950 was substantially warmer than more recent decades.
http://notrickszone.com/2016/12/22/the- ... qH2aK.dpbs
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Lorrie is one of a small number of Canadian media people that is not afraid to buck the popular trends in many areas.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/07/09 ... l-warming/

https://thsresearch.files.wordpress.com ... 062717.pdf
“The conclusive findings of this research are that the three GAST data sets are not a valid representation of reality,” the authors wrote. “In fact, the magnitude of their historical data adjustments, that removed their cyclical temperature patterns, are totally inconsistent with published and credible U.S. and other temperature data. Thus, it is impossible to conclude from the three published GAST data sets that recent years have been the warmest ever — despite current claims of record setting warming.”
If the researchers’ findings are accurate, it would mean that the global temperature data most often used to show increasing temperatures are potentially not accurate and that the true global temperature is likely lower than is currently reported, further undermining climate-change alarmists’ claims.
0 x
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

Robert wrote:http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/07/09 ... l-warming/

https://thsresearch.files.wordpress.com ... 062717.pdf
“The conclusive findings of this research are that the three GAST data sets are not a valid representation of reality,” the authors wrote. “In fact, the magnitude of their historical data adjustments, that removed their cyclical temperature patterns, are totally inconsistent with published and credible U.S. and other temperature data. Thus, it is impossible to conclude from the three published GAST data sets that recent years have been the warmest ever — despite current claims of record setting warming.”
If the researchers’ findings are accurate, it would mean that the global temperature data most often used to show increasing temperatures are potentially not accurate and that the true global temperature is likely lower than is currently reported, further undermining climate-change alarmists’ claims.
This is actually not new. There are several researchers who have noted fundamental flaws in the physics that underlie the models behind the global warming scare.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

0 x