Global Warning/Climate Change

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Global Warning/Climate Change

Post by Bootstrap »

temporal1 wrote:am i jaded to believe even many Christ-believers' heads could be turned, waving $20 Billion(s) under their noses? .. much less those who have no instructions from Jesus to impede their thoughts?
I absolutely agree.

And two thirds of all global warming is done by just 90 companies, very large companies that generate huge amounts of wealth. These companies also account for a lot of the money that goes into lobbying and marketing efforts on the global warming issue. Do you think these companies might be motivated by money? Do lobbyists have a profit motive?

This really is the tobacco lobby versus science again. And many of the lobbyists are the same ones who worked for the tobacco lobby. I happen to think that the scientific community was right about lung cancer - and their work was largely funded with government grants. Do I absolutely trust government? Of course not, and we need checks and balances and regular investigations. Do I trust government science more than lobbyist science? Yes.

The paper suggests that the international community should ask these companies to reduce emissions rather than asking countries to reduce emissions. Makes sense to me. But it would require international cooperation to do that.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Unbelievable - the EPA is ignoring our science to wage war on cigarettes. I mean, are you going to trust ... gasp ... government funded science? Will we allow a government agency to reduce corporate profits to prevent harm to human health?

0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

ken_sylvania wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:...bible verses on climate change, anyone?
2 Peter 3:10 - Biblical support for extreme global warming, triggered by human activity. :P
Hahaha- slick
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

ken_sylvania wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:...bible verses on climate change, anyone?
2 Peter 3:10 - Biblical support for extreme global warming, triggered by human activity. :P
:up: :rofl:

Looking at that passage again makes me think of a large meteor strike with a sonic boom upon entering the atmosphere. [bible]2 Peter 3,10[/bible]
Last edited by MaxPC on Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

MaxPC wrote:Good points. As one who spent his career in the sciences I can agree to a point about your last paragraph
Which "sciences"? Not to cast doubt on your opinions, but I'm a fan of differentiating among disciplines. Knowing a branch or two and being clueless in another is quite common.
I will add that there are disciplines in the sciences that are much more vulnerable to political pressures than others. Climatology is the latest victim of those political pressures.

That's hard to support, if you ask me. Seems that people could claim this about the particular areas of science they're simply not familiar/ in agreement with.
Not to mention that the scientific community is a global one. Any good science is not bound by borders or politics.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

KB I'll PM you to avoid bunny trails..
KingdomBuilder wrote:
MaxPC wrote:Good points. As one who spent his career in the sciences I can agree to a point about your last paragraph
Which "sciences"? Not to cast doubt on your opinions, but I'm a fan of differentiating among disciplines. Knowing a branch or two and being clueless in another is quite common.
I will add that there are disciplines in the sciences that are much more vulnerable to political pressures than others. Climatology is the latest victim of those political pressures.

That's hard to support, if you ask me. Seems that people could claim this about the particular areas of science they're simply not familiar/ in agreement with.
Not to mention that the scientific community is a global one. Any good science is not bound by borders or politics.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Valerie wrote:I'm sorry that you took it that way, but I cannot help but believe that the enemy of our soul uses science to brainwash people against believing in God
Well, he's capable of that. But he also uses things that are much simpler and common (like hyper-politicized conspiracies).
when I was young, Creation WAS in the text book! Evolution has taken over. Forgive me if I find that upsetting, many children are not being brought up in Christian homes to be exposed to the truth.
So it's fair to say you're not a believer in the separation of church and state?
Global warming? Well prophetically speaking- I don't worry about it too much because I know the end of the Book- this world will not be destroyed by Global Warming- but I just see too much hypocrisy about it- those who have such strong politics about it, don't live like the Amish who are about the only people not contributing to the problem.
Quite the jump to assume that all who believe in global warming are assuming it will be the end of the world.
God designed the universe with a beautiful tendency for equilibrium. Most of the well-informed people on climate change (at least the ones I've encountered) deny that it will cause some apocalyptic end of the world.

The following is not directly to Valerie, but it's a general statement-
This whole thing seems to be the result of the rampant Western mindset that we are all so well endowed with some sort of insight to the "real" truth. Expertise doesn't matter when we are all so individually aware of these huge networks of conspiracy, corruption, and "false truth", right? We don't need any more knowledge than we already have, cause we've each got it all!
We pin our own "badges of honor" to our universal insights to try and establish some kind of credibility. Be it a political platform, theology, or some fanciful run-around interpretation of things.

My real question is, which is more inspired by Satan: Scientific evidence that claims humans are having an impact on the climate or the mindset I mentioned above?
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

KingdomBuilder wrote:Quite the jump to assume that all who believe in global warming are assuming it will be the end of the world.
Robert Frost wrote:Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Bootstrap wrote:
Robert Frost wrote:... ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
Of course one would expect Robert Frost to say that. Robert Burns would likely take the opposite position.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited