Global Warning/Climate Change

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Re: Global Warning/Climate Change

Post by appleman2006 »

Bootstrap wrote:
Robert wrote:
RZehr wrote:I am a young earth creation believer, so you lost me with this chart.
Most all the science for climate change is based off of old earth ideology. Young earth people would most likely not even care about climate change because of the theology that God has a very tight control on things.
Young earth people don't care about pollution? They don't think we can do bad things to the environment?

I remember a time that pollution was a whole lot worse than it is now, a river catching on fire, cities like Lackawanna and Gary where the air was very polluted, the Love Canal incident ... and don't get me started on East Germany ... surely everyone believes that pollution can have consequences. That's not dependent on when and how the earth originated.
As one who certainly leans toward a young earth understanding I can certainly say that pollution is a concern to me. I believe we are to take care of the earth around us. In most cases it only makes sense that we would not pollute the very resources that we will need in the future such as water and air. What I am less inclined to believe is that a God that created all of this will allow it to be destroyed outside of his timeline. And I am even more certain that He does not want us to go off in a panic doing things that may or may not be necessary at the expense of the poor and needy here on earth. That much I can be quite sure of without understanding all of the science.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

KingdomBuilder wrote: You're not taking into account the fact that CO2 in the atmosphere exists in the form of several distinct isotopes- each can be traced to different sources. The CO2 from volcanoes and the CO2 from fossil fuels are totally different.
IF higher levels of co2 did not create massive greenhouse, in history, does it matter the source if we are 100 times less now? At one time the earth had 34% co2 and it had a very long snowball cycle. Snowball is when the entire planet is covered with ice.
KingdomBuilder wrote: An "ice age" following massive eruptions would have absolutely nothing to do with CO2... it's the result of the release of aerosols that reflect shield the earth from the sun's life-giving warmth.
Sure the CO2 would be there, but the this "blanket" would make warming impossible.
Trickle down issues can cause correlations that aren't "parallel"... these are expected; they're not bizarre outliers that disprove anything, really.
You would see that for maybe 10-100 years. These snowball cycles happened for eons. Both came close to making 95% of all life extinct.

co2 levels are only brought down by chlorophyll in Cyanobacteria and plant life. Planets and Cyanobacteria can only develop in moderate climates where water is in the liquid form. So earth had to have moderate temperatures with high co2 until they converted the co2 to o2 for animal life to flourish.

Times of massive volcanic events have shown to happen continually in snowball cycles and more temperate times.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

appleman2006 wrote:As one who certainly leans toward a young earth understanding I can certainly say that pollution is a concern to me. I believe we are to take care of the earth around us. In most cases it only makes sense that we would not pollute the very resources that we will need in the future such as water and air. What I am less inclined to believe is that a God that created all of this will allow it to be destroyed outside of his timeline. And I am even more certain that He does not want us to go off in a panic doing things that may or may not be necessary at the expense of the poor and needy here on earth. That much I can be quite sure of without understanding all of the science.
I don't know when and how God created the earth, I just know who created the earth. I don't think Genesis tells us exactly when and how (because Genesis 1 and Genesis 2, if interpreted completely literally, disagree, so I suspect they were not meant to be literal science), and I don't think science does either (because human knowledge is very limited). But God does.

Scientists are telling us there is a wide range of possible outcomes. They say that they are confident that current warming is due to man-made influences, but they are less confident exactly how much warming is coming if we don't get our act together. I think it is prudent to clean up after ourselves, and that we should look for reasonable ways to reduce our impact on earth, without drastically raising the cost of energy. I think that's just basic wisdom. And let's face it, nobody is going to vote for solutions that would double the cost of electricity - that would not be possible politically.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
appleman2006

Post by appleman2006 »

I still say that you have not watched what has happened here in Ontario. That is exactly what has happened. In fact electricity rates have more than doubled over the last number of years and it is primarily due to the governments insistence of going with so called green energy. And that is with only having switched about 5 percent or less than our energy to wind and solar. Add to that the carbon taxes we are now starting to pay and it is getting totally ridiculous. Never say never Bootstrap. Had Hillary been elected you would fast be going down the same path. Without a shadow of a doubt. Your time will come and your grandchildren will wonder who the hair brained people were that saddled them with that mess. At least that is my prediction.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

appleman2006 wrote:I still say that you have not watched what has happened here in Ontario. That is exactly what has happened. In fact electricity rates have more than doubled over the last number of years and it is primarily due to the governments insistence of going with so called green energy. And that is with only having switched about 5 percent or less than our energy to wind and solar. Add to that the carbon taxes we are now starting to pay and it is getting totally ridiculous. Never say never Bootstrap. Had Hillary been elected you would fast be going down the same path. Without a shadow of a doubt. Your time will come and your grandchildren will wonder who the hair brained people were that saddled them with that mess. At least that is my prediction.
That's not our current problem. Trust me on that. Maybe in 4 years.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
appleman2006

Post by appleman2006 »

Bootstrap wrote:
appleman2006 wrote:I still say that you have not watched what has happened here in Ontario. That is exactly what has happened. In fact electricity rates have more than doubled over the last number of years and it is primarily due to the governments insistence of going with so called green energy. And that is with only having switched about 5 percent or less than our energy to wind and solar. Add to that the carbon taxes we are now starting to pay and it is getting totally ridiculous. Never say never Bootstrap. Had Hillary been elected you would fast be going down the same path. Without a shadow of a doubt. Your time will come and your grandchildren will wonder who the hair brained people were that saddled them with that mess. At least that is my prediction.
That's not our current problem. Trust me on that. Maybe in 4 years.
:D I agree. You have other problems right now. And while people may not vote for double electricity prices they may get them by default because of other reasons that they choose to vote a certain way.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

appleman2006 wrote:In fact electricity rates have more than doubled over the last number of years...
Nikola Tesla is turning over in his grave..
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

appleman2006 wrote:In fact electricity rates have more than doubled over the last number of years
Bootstrap wrote:That's not our current problem.
Right now it is Ontario's current problem. If our electricity rates ever double over such a short time, it certainly will be our current problem. People might even get amped up enough to offer resistance to the trend. There's no telling watt could happen if Americans could no longer afford electricity for their ohms and businesses.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

PeterG wrote:
appleman2006 wrote:In fact electricity rates have more than doubled over the last number of years
Bootstrap wrote:That's not our current problem.
Right now it is Ontario's current problem. If our electricity rates ever double over such a short time, it certainly will be our current problem. People might even get amped up enough to offer resistance to the trend. There's no telling watt could happen if Americans could no longer afford electricity for their ohms and businesses.
They would probably get a short in their knots.

Wouldn't that be a shock!?!
Last edited by silentreader on Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Robert wrote:
RZehr wrote:I am a young earth creation believer, so you lost me with this chart.
Most all the science for climate change is based off of old earth ideology. Young earth people would most likely not even care about climate change because of the theology that God has a very tight control on things.
There is probably truth to that. I don't find myself worried about climate change or global warming, in the way fanatical environmental earth worshipers do, because God is in control.

I find it plausible that the earth is heating up. I don't think it is going to be a big problem. I think it is obvious that humans contribute to warming, but I doubt it is the driving factor, and maybe not even a significant factor in the warming.

But I do care about the environment quite a bit. I think we should take care of the environment. I don't like pollution and litter. I'm for conserving energy. I'm for green energy when and where it makes sense. I'm for recycling. I'm for regulation, but not crazy religious fervor type political regulations.
0 x