Global Warning/Climate Change

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Global Warning/Climate Change

Post by MaxPC »

Quick, someone needs to let this volcano know it's in violation of the Paris accord! :mrgreen:

Seriously, volcanic ash from a major eruption far outpaces human contributions. Remember 1815, the year without a summer? Mount Tambora erupted and caused a volcanic winter that led to famine. In 1883 Krakatoa caused a drop in temperatures on the average of 2.2 * F / 1.2* C, again impacting food supply chains with shortages. Volcanic winters have long been associated with the term "little Ice Age". I know God has a plan and He's in control. Why worry?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Robert wrote:
JimFoxvog wrote:The scientists found that if humans were to be exposed to wet bulb-temperatures higher than 95°F (35 ºC) for more than six hours, they would not survive. -- https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... the-world/
Peak heat stress, quantified by the wet-bulb temperature TW, is surprisingly similar across diverse climates today. TW never exceeds 31 °C. Any exceedence of 35 °C for extended periods should induce hyperthermia in humans and other mammals, as dissipation of metabolic heat becomes impossible. While this never happens now, it would begin to occur with global-mean warming of about 7 °C, calling the habitability of some regions into question.
35 C is 95 F. I would work most the day in 100 F. I question this hypothesis.
They are talking wet-bulb temps, not dry bulb, which is what I assume you are referring to. At 50% humidity, a 115 F dry bulb temp converts to about a 96 F wet bulb temp at sea level. If humidity drops to 20%, the equivalent dry bulb temp is 140 F.
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Robert wrote:
Peak heat stress, quantified by the wet-bulb temperature TW, is surprisingly similar across diverse climates today. TW never exceeds 31 °C. Any exceedence of 35 °C for extended periods should induce hyperthermia in humans and other mammals, as dissipation of metabolic heat becomes impossible. While this never happens now, it would begin to occur with global-mean warming of about 7 °C, calling the habitability of some regions into question.
35 C is 95 F. I would work most the day in 100 F. I question this hypothesis.

It also sayd a mean warming of 7 C would begin an issue. This is a far jump from the 2 C raise by 2100.
The 35 °C is the wet-bulb temperature that is dangerous. This means the temperature with evaporative cooling on the bulb of the thermometer. At 30% humidity at 100°F has a wet bulb temperature of about 75°F. This chart may help: Image
It is the heat waves that may become more severe and frequent that endanger human life.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Humans emit 100 times more C02 than volcanoes.

You can read about this at basic and intermediate levels, with links to the relevant scientific literature, by clicking on the link.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Sigh

You mean now I have to worry about whether my bulbs are wet or dry as well? I just cannot keep up. :shock: :? :? :roll:
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Wayne in Maine wrote:I found this interesting. Every incident cited in this article was probably based on what some would consider a valid "scientific" prediction.

After 30 Years, Alarmists Are Still Predicting A Global Warming ‘Apocalypse’
Here's a good discussion on how data compares to past predictions. It also discusses how predictions made by climate contrarians have fared. For instance, here is sea level rise:

This video is under 2 minutes, it compares the predictions of the main models to later observations.

[video][/video]

Here is a 10 minute video that goes into more depth on climate models and how we measure the accuracy of their predictions. It discusses what they measure well and where their limitations are.

[video][/video]
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

appleman2006 wrote:Sigh

You mean now I have to worry about whether my bulbs are wet or dry as well? I just cannot keep up. :shock: :? :? :roll:
Plant your bulbs, give them some moisture, don't let them dry out and they should grow. I know some people talk to their plants but it might be better not to since that will just create more of that harmful CO2. Maybe the young people have a good thing going by communicating by text instead of talking to each other - they are being green.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

JimFoxvog wrote: It is the heat waves that may become more severe and frequent that endanger human life.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... the-world/
While scientists are still deciphering if particular heat waves, such as the ones in Pakistan and India, could be tied to climate change, it is accepted science that heat waves, broadly speaking, will become more frequent, intense and prolonged with global warming.
So they still do not know if they are tied to it, but warn that it will cause massive deaths if it goes to 7 C higher mean, which the IPCC projects a max of 3 C raise by 2100.

I see sensationalism.

Again, I grew up and worked in factories without A/C in Texas. We had 100 F days for 30-90 days in a row. We got the humidity off the Gulf Coast and it would be 90%+ some of those days. We still played basketball during lunch outside. After we were done, we would stand in front of a fan for a about 2 minutes, but after that, back to work.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

Bootstrap wrote:
Wayne in Maine wrote:I found this interesting. Every incident cited in this article was probably based on what some would consider a valid "scientific" prediction.

After 30 Years, Alarmists Are Still Predicting A Global Warming ‘Apocalypse’
Here's a good discussion on how data compares to past predictions. It also discusses how predictions made by climate contrarians have fared. For instance, here is sea level rise:

Your source is skepticalscience.com which is not a peer reviewed journal but rather a global climate alarmist site, it is run by John Cook, who is not a climate scientist.
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Robert wrote:Again, I grew up and worked in factories without A/C in Texas. We had 100 F days for 30-90 days in a row. We got the humidity off the Gulf Coast and it would be 90%+ some of those days. We still played basketball during lunch outside. After we were done, we would stand in front of a fan for a about 2 minutes, but after that, back to work.
Oh Robert you just do not get it. The bulbs in those factories were simply too wet. Or maybe, was it that they were dry and should of been wetter? Oh my, I am so confused. MONDAY MORNINGS DO THAT TO ME.

AND THE POST COUNT KEEPS CLIMBING
0 x