Global Warning/Climate Change

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Global Warning/Climate Change

Post by Bootstrap »

appleman2006 wrote:You are so far behind the times it almost hurts. Native American? That is at least two political correct terms behind. I believe the correct term now would be "indigenous summer"
Are you sure you're keeping up? Trump recently tweeted that is nominating General Custer as head of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. CNN reported that General Custer died long ago, Trump tweeted that this is #fakenews, and is saying he will campaign against Mitch McConnell in the next primary if he doesn't get Custer appointed ...
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

[video][/video]
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

[video][/video]
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

[video][/video]
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

GM Outlines All-Electric Path to Zero Emissions
General Motors believes in an all-electric future,” said Mark Reuss, General Motors executive vice president of Product Development, Purchasing and Supply Chain. “Although that future won't happen overnight, GM is committed to driving increased usage and acceptance of electric vehicles through no-compromise solutions that meet our customers' needs.”

In the next 18 months, GM will introduce two new all-electric vehicles based off learnings from the Chevrolet Bolt EV. They will be the first of at least 20 new all-electric vehicles that will launch by 2023.

Given customers' various needs, getting to a zero emissions future will require more than just battery electric technology. It will require a two-pronged approach to electrification — battery electric and hydrogen fuel cell electric depending on the unique requirements.

GM also introduced SURUS — the Silent Utility Rover Universal Superstructure — a fuel cell powered, four-wheel steer concept vehicle on a heavy-duty truck frame that’s driven by two electric motors. With its capability and flexible architecture, SURUS could be used as a delivery vehicle, truck or even an ambulance — all emissions free.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Paris climate accord: Syria to sign up, isolating US
The US is set to become isolated in its stance on the Paris climate agreement, after Syria said it was preparing to join the deal.

Syria and Nicaragua were the only nations outside the deal when it was agreed in 2015. Nicaragua signed in October.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

ExxonMobil's perspectives on climate change
The risk of climate change is clear and the risk warrants action. Increasing carbon emissions in the atmosphere are having a warming effect. There is a broad scientific and policy consensus that action must be taken to further quantify and assess the risks.

ExxonMobil is taking action by reducing greenhouse gas emissions in its operations, helping consumers reduce their emissions, supporting research that leads to technology breakthroughs and participating in constructive dialogue on policy options.

Addressing climate change, providing economic opportunity and lifting billions out of poverty are complex and interrelated issues requiring complex solutions. There is a consensus that comprehensive strategies are needed to respond to these risks.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Bootstrap wrote:GM Outlines All-Electric Path to Zero Emissions
General Motors believes in an all-electric future,” said Mark Reuss, General Motors executive vice president of Product Development, Purchasing and Supply Chain. “Although that future won't happen overnight, GM is committed to driving increased usage and acceptance of electric vehicles through no-compromise solutions that meet our customers' needs.”

In the next 18 months, GM will introduce two new all-electric vehicles based off learnings from the Chevrolet Bolt EV. They will be the first of at least 20 new all-electric vehicles that will launch by 2023.

Given customers' various needs, getting to a zero emissions future will require more than just battery electric technology. It will require a two-pronged approach to electrification — battery electric and hydrogen fuel cell electric depending on the unique requirements.

GM also introduced SURUS — the Silent Utility Rover Universal Superstructure — a fuel cell powered, four-wheel steer concept vehicle on a heavy-duty truck frame that’s driven by two electric motors. With its capability and flexible architecture, SURUS could be used as a delivery vehicle, truck or even an ambulance — all emissions free.
There's no such thing as a free lunch, nor is there such a thing as emissions free transport.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

ken_sylvania wrote:There's no such thing as a free lunch, nor is there such a thing as emissions free transport.
I agree - there's a little marketing going on there. But power plants can operate more cleanly than gas engines, significantly reducing emissions.

If you read the scientific literature, it's really hard to find much doubt that climate change is real and we should try to contain it. So really, we should be looking for the best ways to solve the problem, not asking whether there is a problem.

GM, Ford, and most automakers are already on board, looking for solutions. Every country except the United States is on board. The United States seems to be trying to find ways to bring back coal ...
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

I mostly agree with this - his basic point is that subsidizing research is the most important thing we can do to control global warming, and that subsidizing yesterday's technologies is not as efficient. I would like to see the United States at the forefront of this kind of research, which will be a big part of tomorrow's economy.
Robert wrote:[video][/video]
0 x