Global Warning/Climate Change

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Global Warning/Climate Change

Post by Bootstrap »

Robert wrote:It is funny that as soon as a warm spell hits, they blame climate change, but when cold spells hit, they claim it is just a variance and no indication that climate change is not happening.
Who is "they"? Certainly not scientists, who know the difference between local regional weather and global climate changes. For another look at weather in one region, here are the January 2018 temperatures for the South Pole with comparison to historical averages.

You have to look at weather everywhere and average it out over a year to see this year's average global temperature. You have to look at that over a period of time to see global warming trends.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Bootstrap wrote:You have to look at weather everywhere and average it out over a year to see this year's average global temperature. You have to look at that over a period of time to see global warming trends.
I am so glad you told me this because I am just too stupid to know it.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Robert wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:You have to look at weather everywhere and average it out over a year to see this year's average global temperature. You have to look at that over a period of time to see global warming trends.
I am so glad you told me this because I am just too stupid to know it.
You just implied that "they" don't know this. Who is "they"? And why do we always see posts here saying "look, no global warming, it's cold outside my door" here on MN? Many people clearly do not know this, based on the conversations I see here and elsewhere.

I assumed this deserved a reminder.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

What Twitter seems to be missing ...
So let's act like we know that's important. I think that leads to questions like these:

1. What was the global average temperature of the earth in 2017, and how does that fit into the historical pattern?
2. What are the temperatures at the two poles in 2017
3. What is the rate of ice loss at the two poles in 2017
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Boot, how do you explain the long ago swings in temperature?
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

RZehr wrote:Boot, how do you explain the long ago swings in temperature?
Explain what? If you ask me a more specific question, I think I can find you a summary of what mainstream scientists say about it.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Quick summary of the last few days. I assume that nobody is claiming that the current record cold temperatures here or the current record hot temperatures in Australia are proof for or against global warming?

Sydney, Australia, Hit 117 Degrees While the U.S. Froze This Weekend

I think another argument was that global warming might be nice in cold areas. That's probably true - depending on where you live. Science Magazine published an article that assesses this county-by-county. According to their estimates, there will be significant winners and significant losers.

0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Wow ! 649 posts. I wonder what the runner-up thread post count is ? Should be a post count sorting option.

Curious if anyone has changed their mind yet from their view before this thread began ? Any converts ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Bootstrap wrote:Quick summary of the last few days. I assume that nobody is claiming that the current record cold temperatures here or the current record hot temperatures in Australia are proof for or against global warming?

Sydney, Australia, Hit 117 Degrees While the U.S. Froze This Weekend

I think another argument was that global warming might be nice in cold areas. That's probably true - depending on where you live. Science Magazine published an article that assesses this county-by-county. According to their estimates, there will be significant winners and significant losers.

Looks like Canada is going to be a real winner in this. Look at all the green just below the 49th parallel.
0 x