Global Warning/Climate Change

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Re: Global Warning/Climate Change

Post by Robert »

JimFoxvog wrote: The US is about the only nation now not agreeing to the Paris climate change agreement. The rest of the world outside the US has added more than their share of CO2 to the atmosphere and the US hasn't?
Can you explain how the Paris agreement is actually going to make a measurable difference?
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Robert wrote: Can you explain how the Paris agreement is actually going to make a measurable difference?
A study out of MIT suggests the difference, if followed, will be measurable but inadequate:
“The Paris agreement is certainly a step in the right direction, but it is only a step,” said Monier. “It puts us on the right path to keep warming under 3° C, but even under the same level of commitment of the Paris Agreement after 2030, our study indicates a 95 percent probability that the world will warm by more than 2° C by 2100.” --https://globalchange.mit.edu/news-media ... ement-make
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

JimFoxvog wrote:
temporal1 wrote: IRL, those first wanting the chocolates TAKE THEM, while demanding others leave them alone. the classic, “do as i say, don’t do as i do.”
I don't understand. The US is about the only nation now not agreeing to the Paris climate change agreement. The rest of the world outside the US has added more than their share of CO2 to the atmosphere and the US hasn't?
no intent to confuse.
i visualized the penguins as individuals, not countries. the “first,” or leaders, like John Kerry, reported to live a lavish lifestyles with a large carbon footprints, with mansions, private jets, etc.

i see “Global Warning” :P as a huge $20 Billion dollar football being tossed around, the game is rough and the stakes are high. ($20B is a number i read attached to it some years ago. it may be more, or less.)

when so much money is involved, i do not trust anyone to not lose themselves/their souls in the fray. how long would i last in those circumstances? - too frightening to dwell upon. :(

so often, or, maybe always, these big political decisions are thrown into the public arena supposedly based on big moral issues .. which Christians are all over .. but, in fact, it’s about big money, transfer of wealth+power .. morality, or even reality, have nothing to do with it.

it happens so frequently, i often wonder how long it will take before the citizenry will finally wise up.
i suppose i’m adding to Robert’s words:
Robert, Page 58
.. My whole point is that we should be wary whenever science is moved into a religious ferver ..
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

To share an example of how I enjoy things that confound current science theory ...

https://www.livescience.com/29594-earth ... ries-.html

Again, I just enjoy seeing things that challenge current understandings. Some of these have several theories of how they came to be, yet nothing is really set since new research, findings and theories continue to emerge.
0 x
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

I found this interesting. Every incident cited in this article was probably based on what some would consider a valid "scientific" prediction.

After 30 Years, Alarmists Are Still Predicting A Global Warming ‘Apocalypse’
0 x
JimFoxvog

Post by JimFoxvog »

Wayne in Maine wrote:I found this interesting. Every incident cited in this article was probably based on what some would consider a valid "scientific" prediction.

After 30 Years, Alarmists Are Still Predicting A Global Warming ‘Apocalypse’
From the linked article:
Ten years ago, the U.N. predicted we only had “as little as eight years left to avoid a dangerous global average rise of 2C or more.”

This failed prediction, however, has not stopped the U.N. and others from issuing more apocalyptic statements.
"Failed prediction"? The 2°C rise was predicted by 2100 and seems more and more likely. I think there is a good chance that in terms of percent of the human population dying, the results will be the largest since the flood of Noah's time. It may well be too late to prevent the changes. So it is the role of people who care about people to do what we facilitate the biggest mass migration of people ever.

Or shouldn't those of us over sixty care, because we may be dead before it gets too bad?
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

JimFoxvog wrote:So it is the role of people who care about people to do what we facilitate the biggest mass migration of people ever.
Jim, while I disagree with the concern for a 2 degree raise, you are one who walks the walk. I respect you for that.

I actually think a 2 degree raise overall will be very healthy for the planet and people on it, More people die from the cold then from heat. Overall, we may be helping many we are not even considering. If some land is lost to the "raising oceans" it will be slow and only those who are right on the edge will be affected. We are also developing technology that will help improve our lives and ability to survive the storms that hit oceanside properties.
0 x
JimFoxvog

Post by JimFoxvog »

Robert wrote:I actually think a 2 degree raise overall will be very healthy for the planet and people on it, More people die from the cold then from heat. Overall, we may be helping many we are not even considering. If some land is lost to the "raising oceans" it will be slow and only those who are right on the edge will be affected. We are also developing technology that will help improve our lives and ability to survive the storms that hit oceanside properties.
By 2100, Deadly Heat May Threaten Majority of Humankind
Up to 75 percent of people could face deadly heatwaves by 2100 unless carbon emissions plummet, a new study warns.
--https://news.nationalgeographic.com/201 ... l-warming/
The scientists found that if humans were to be exposed to wet bulb-temperatures higher than 95°F (35 ºC) for more than six hours, they would not survive. -- https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... the-world/
Not quite those "right on the edge" affected by rising oceans. It's those at low elevations. The popultation of places like Miami and New York City around the world, many of the world's major cities, would have to relocate. How can we prepare for such massive relocations?
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Please explain something to me. We are talking 2 degrees by 2100. How is that record breaking heat waves that will kill millions?

I feel these reports are not reflecting a realistic view of a 2 degree climb. Even a 3 degree climb would not cause such a global disaster. I lived in Texas were it was over 100 for 90 days straight before. It really made our lunch time basketball games more interesting. No, we did not stop playing.

Our bodies also adjust for higher or colder temperatures over time too. The first few years I lived up north in the cold, I felt it a lot more then now. I live further up north and can easily go out in 0 or even lower if I need to.

These reports are some of the things that make most of us who doubt feel even more sure that the other side is sensationalizing their claims. You read it and say, "Yea, this supports what I already believe." I read it and say, "This is so extreme that it validates my belief that those making these claims are actually doing for other reasons besides helping humanity."
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

JimFoxvog wrote:The scientists found that if humans were to be exposed to wet bulb-temperatures higher than 95°F (35 ºC) for more than six hours, they would not survive. -- https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... the-world/
Peak heat stress, quantified by the wet-bulb temperature TW, is surprisingly similar across diverse climates today. TW never exceeds 31 °C. Any exceedence of 35 °C for extended periods should induce hyperthermia in humans and other mammals, as dissipation of metabolic heat becomes impossible. While this never happens now, it would begin to occur with global-mean warming of about 7 °C, calling the habitability of some regions into question.
35 C is 95 F. I would work most the day in 100 F. I question this hypothesis.

It also sayd a mean warming of 7 C would begin an issue. This is a far jump from the 2 C raise by 2100.
0 x