Global Warning/Climate Change

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Global Warning/Climate Change

Post by MaxPC »

Wayne in Maine wrote:I enjoy a good discussion, but clearly this topic is tainted with political philosophy (which I don't care to debate), and I don't have as much time to invest in a defense of a scientific skeptics position as others have to defend the IPCC.

So I too will step out of this, still unconvinced that the popular climate models and measurements support "An Inconvenient Truth(?)" .
Spot on. Politicization of topics and politics in general have always reminded me of the Punch and Judy puppet shows with lots of sound and fury signifying nothing. Only God's Will and God's Kingdom matter. The rest is Punch and Judy :D
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Wayne in Maine wrote:I enjoy a good discussion, but clearly this topic is tainted with political philosophy (which I don't care to debate), and I don't have as much time to invest in a defense of a scientific skeptics position as others have to defend the IPCC.

So I too will step out of this, still unconvinced that the popular climate models and measurements support "An Inconvenient Truth(?)" .
Whether it is IPCC or Al Gore types, there is some good data and real things to look at, but now, we can not see it for all the smoke and mirrors. Many are pushing political solutions so hard. This is my struggle.

There are always things we could do to improve the world around us. Eliminate wars and disease would do lots more than anything we could do for climate. Once these are solved, it would be so easy to work together to bring technology to solve any co2 buildups. Taxation will not solve problems. It just makes problems more expensive for those who are not in league with the taxers.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

I WAS actually hoping to see a "climate change" in this thread..... :cry:

AND, a "global warming" of hearts. :pray
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

So much common sense Robert.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Wayne, recently, i’ve been reading about scientism vs science.
different sources. it’s made me think of this thread, and, esp your input, as you describe different distinctions of science.
possibly, more will be heard about scientism vs science as time moves along.
as Robert and others are saying, politicizing everything will lead nowhere, with a painful journey to get there.

3 examples (not an effort to be complete:)
Scientism versus science
“Scientism is not the same thing as science. Science is a blessing, but scientism is a curse.
Science, I mean what practicing scientists actually do, is acutely and admirably aware of its limits, and humbly admits to the provisional character of its conclusions;
but scientism is dogmatic, and peddles certainties. It is always at the ready with the solution to every problem, because it believes that the solution to every problem is a scientific one, and so it gives scientific answers to non-scientific questions.
Owing to its preference for totalistic explanation, scientism transforms science into an ideology, which is of course a betrayal of the experimental and empirical spirit.”

Leon Wieseltier, Perhaps Culture is Now the Counterculture: A Defense of the Humanities, 19 May 2013; http://www.newrepublic.com/article/1132 ... rsity-2013 [Wieseltier self-describes as a humanist.]
Science is a method of inquiry and the knowledge acquired by that method. ... In other words, as I understand it, scientism is the belief that the methods of science and the worldview of science are obviously correct over all other methods and worldviews. Nov 18, 2009
https://philosophyisnotaluxury.com/2009 ... scientism/
“What is Scientism?”
Disclaimer: The author’s views do not necessarily represent those of AAAS or DoSER

https://www.aaas.org/page/what-scientism
it’s increasingly important to differentiate. across the board; not just regarding climate matters.
i think of the abortion debates, and other medical sciences. not limited to those.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

This piece is attractive, short+superficial.
This source, circa, does these attractive short lib-support videos (ads?) on lots of topics.
i see them aired now+then by my local (lib) “news” station.

my question here is, doesn’t this reflect what many are saying about the earth being dynamic+changing, for all time?
i.e., the artifacts got there because those locations were accessible for hunting/living (?)
"We anticipate that when the ice continues to melt up in the high mountains, that we will eventually find artifacts that are maybe up to 7,000 years old."
http://bit.ly/2ntYFUA
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

i’m feeling a bit lonely in this thread now. :-|
but, this video is too interesting to not add. so, here goes.

Robert, you may have seen this. i don’t see a lot from PragerU.

CLIMATE MODELS / 5 min
Can Climate Models Predict Climate Change?
Will Happer / Princeton, for PragerU
https://www.prageru.com/videos/can-clim ... ate-change

“Predicting climate temperatures isn't science – it's science fiction.
Emeritus Professor of Physics at Princeton University Will Happer explains.”
0 x

UNKNOWN
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

temporal1 wrote:i’m feeling a bit lonely in this thread now. :-|

CLIMATE MODELS / 5 min

Actually, I think that's a good thing. There will be no consensus in this thread. How's the paint drying? Does Global Warming speed it up?
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

silentreader wrote:
temporal1 wrote:i’m feeling a bit lonely in this thread now. :-|

CLIMATE MODELS / 5 min

Actually, I think that's a good thing. There will be no consensus in this thread.

How's the paint drying?
Does Global Warming speed it up?
i haven’t followed this thread very well, nor have i contributed much .. recently, just happened to be stumbling over this+that. didn’t really want to start new threads. 79 pages here .. just warming up? :shock:

i have not started painting.
i was out shoveling global warming for awhile .. clearing snow+ice off the car, shoveling a path to the mailbox. was surprised it was light+fluffy! that helped a lot. 20F, so, that warming gave me a break, too. up from zero.

more snow coming in this weekend. hopefully, not a lot.
no predictions yet about how much.

why did i give my cross country skis away?
0 x

UNKNOWN
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

http://www.news.com.au/technology/scien ... bd97b8d97b
GRAND MINIMUM

One particularly cool period in the 17th Century guided their research.

An intense cold snap between 1645 and 1715 has been dubbed the “Maunder Minimum”.

In England, the Thames river froze over. The Baltic Sea was covered in ice — so much so that the Swedish army was able to march across it to invade Denmark in 1658.

But the cooling was not uniform: Distorted weather patterns warmed up Alaska and Greenland.

These records were combined with 20 years of data collected by the International Ultraviolet Explorer satellite mission, as well as observations of nearby stars similar to the Sun.
1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.