Global Warning/Climate Change

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Re: Global Warning/Climate Change

Post by gcdonner »

ken_sylvania wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:...bible verses on climate change, anyone?
2 Peter 3:10 - Biblical support for extreme global warming, triggered by human activity. :P
That is a strained reading of Peter's comments. I read it as though God is the one in control and who triggered the fire, not man.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
gcdonner

Re: Local Warning/Snow Blanket

Post by gcdonner »

Wade wrote:
Wade wrote:Over feet of snow since Saturday and currently coming down at a rate of about an inch every hour...
This is sure to have an affect on the climate...
What are we going to do about it?
Shovel the driveway and then go sledding. :P
Correction: That should say that it has snowed over 2 feet since Saturday.
So you are saying that you were laying down in your yard and your feet got covered by snow? :rofl:
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Valerie wrote:
MaxPC wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote: 2 Peter 3:10 - Biblical support for extreme global warming, triggered by human activity. :P
:up: :rofl:

Looking at that passage again makes me think of a large meteor strike with a sonic boom upon entering the atmosphere. [bible]2 Peter 3,10[/bible]
I have actually used that passage before when the subject of global warming has come up- trying to share a little Scripture regarding God's global warming-
Have you folks read what this passage actually says? What are the "elements" that were melted? The scripture defines this term in it's own context, not in the context of modern science.
KJV Word Usage and Count
element , 4; rudiment , 2; principle , 1

For 'elements'
Ga 4:3, Even so we, when we were children, were in bondage under the ELEMENTS of the world:
Ga 4:9, But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly ELEMENTS, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?

In this context it is obvious that Paul is speaking of the things of the Old Covenant that the Judaizers were trying to draw the Christians into or back into. The world [kosmos – order of things] was the system of the law.

2pe 3:10, But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the ELEMENTS shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
2pe 3:12, Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the ELEMENTS shall melt with fervent heat?

Given the use of the word in every other passage, is it conceivable that it has the same definition here? After all, all the types and shadows, ordinances, genealogies, and the Temple, were literally “burned up”.

For 'rudiments'
Col 2:8, Beware lest any man spoil * you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the RUDIMENTS of the world, and not after Christ.
Col 2:20, Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the RUDIMENTS of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,

Again the Apostle is trying to stop the apostasy back into Judaism. The ordinances, were “elements” of the Old Covenant system, part of the world [kosmos] then in effect until the time of its completed fulfillment by and in Christ.

For 'principle'
Heb 5:12, For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first PRINCIPLEs of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.

The whole purpose of the book of Hebrews was to keep the faithful from going back into the degenerating system of the Old Covenant, which was soon to become obsolete. The first principles were the history of the faith, the foundational truths. The law was a schoolmaster to bring us to Christ.

Christianity rose out of the elements of the Old Covenant, and became the complete revelation of YHWH’s purpose for man and his redemption.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

I haven't read ALL the posts in this thread but wonder if anyone has suggested as it often pointed out by meteorologists, that our climate works in cycles? It is natural for warming trends and then cooling trends. The political agenda to push certain viewpoints and political perspectives doesn't take this into consideration. By trying to say that our use of the planet is in control of it's trends is based solely on speculation and human reasoning, the same reasoning that within our own lifetimes pointed to a cooling trend of the planet.
Don't worry about it, as a nuclear Winter will solve the problem...man's way...
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

gcdonner wrote:I haven't read ALL the posts in this thread but wonder if anyone has suggested as it often pointed out by meteorologists, that our climate works in cycles? It is natural for warming trends and then cooling trends. The political agenda to push certain viewpoints and political perspectives doesn't take this into consideration. By trying to say that our use of the planet is in control of it's trends is based solely on speculation and human reasoning, the same reasoning that within our own lifetimes pointed to a cooling trend of the planet.
Don't worry about it, as a nuclear Winter will solve the problem...man's way...
This is one of the first questions a scientist would look at, and it's addressed extensively in the climate science literature.

There are definitely natural causes that can affect climate change, and they each have their own fingerprints, allowing scientists to measure to what extent they are doing so.

Here's a web page and a Youtube video that look at this very carefully. The Youtube video especially is reasonably easy to understand.

https://www.skepticalscience.com/global ... -cycle.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LvaGAEwxYs
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Local Warning/Snow Blanket

Post by temporal1 »

gcdonner wrote:
Wade wrote:
Wade wrote:Over feet of snow since Saturday and currently coming down at a rate of about an inch every hour...
This is sure to have an affect on the climate...
What are we going to do about it?
Shovel the driveway and then go sledding. :P
Correction: That should say that it has snowed over 2 feet since Saturday.
So you are saying that you were laying down in your yard and your feet got covered by snow?
:rofl:
:roll:
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

I wonder if someone who is challenging global warming could put together an outline of the main sources of evidence for global warming and the challenges against them.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Do you know what the sun said to the moon?
Lighten up! :laugh
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

MaxPC wrote:Lighten up! :laugh
Oh, are the people in this thread just joking? Thanks for pointing that out! I had missed the joke.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Bootstrap wrote:I wonder if someone who is challenging global warming could put together an outline of the main sources of evidence for global warming and the challenges against them.
See, this is the disinformation again. I know of no one challenging climate change. I have, and have seen others, challenge the idea that it is solely and primarily do to humans.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.