Global Warning/Climate Change

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Global Warning/Climate Change

Post by Bootstrap »

An excerpt from the first article you reference above. Was this part clearly reflected in the Blaze summary?
The human activities that underlie the growth in photosynthesis have both positive and negative consequences.

“The rising CO2 level stimulates crops yields,” said Campbell, who’s with the School of Engineering Opens a New Window. and the Sierra Nevada Research Institute Opens a New Window. . “But it also benefits weeds and invasive species. Most importantly, CO2 emissions cause climate change, which will increase flooding of coastal cities, extreme weather and ocean acidification.”

Another effect of the rise in photosynthesis is that it can cause plants to remove CO2 from the air and store it in ecosystems. Unfortunately, CO2 emissions from fossil fuel burning overwhelm any uptake by plants.

“The increase in photosynthesis has not been large enough to compensate for the burning of fossil fuels,” said paper co-author Joe Berry, from the Carnegie Institution for Science. “Nature’s brakes have already been overwhelmed. So now it’s up to us to figure out how to reduce the CO2 concentration in the atmosphere.”
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Bootstrap wrote:Another effect of the rise in photosynthesis is that it can cause plants to remove CO2 from the air and store it in ecosystems. Unfortunately, CO2 emissions from fossil fuel burning overwhelm any uptake by plants.

“The increase in photosynthesis has not been large enough to compensate for the burning of fossil fuels,” said paper co-author Joe Berry, from the Carnegie Institution for Science. “Nature’s brakes have already been overwhelmed. So now it’s up to us to figure out how to reduce the CO2 concentration in the atmosphere.
Since co2 levels were much higher in many other times in earth history, I think it is interesting that they make the claim that photosynthesis can not keep up when it created all the o2 in the atmosphere already.

The point is that warming will have positive and negative affects. it is not all one sided. This also assumes that all the warming is caused by human effects. The previous times the earth warmed to much warmer than present day, humans were causing none of it.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Observed warming s much lower than almost all the climate models. What should that tell us?

0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

I am not a scientist. Not even close but what he says really rings true both to how I was taught in regards to how science is done and what I see being done today.
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Here's a summary of one of the leading opponents of the theory of human caused climate change, with responses: https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ics-really The summary:
A few months ago, the world’s largest private sector coal company went to court, made its best scientific case against the 97% expert consensus, and lost. One of coal’s expert witnesses was University of Alabama at Huntsville climate scientist Roy Spencer - a controversial figure who once compared those with whom he disagreed to Nazis, and has expressed his love for Fox News.

Last week, Spencer wrote a white paper for the Texas Public Policy Institute (TPPI) outlining the contrarian case against climate concerns. TPPI is part of the web of denial, having received substantial funding from both the tobacco and fossil fuel industries, including $65,000 from ExxonMobil and at least $911,499 from Koch-related foundations since 1998, and over $3 million from “dark money” anonymizers Donors Trust and Donors Capital Fund.

Spencer’s arguments should of course be evaluated on their own merits, regardless of who commissioned them. However, it turns out that they have little merit on which to stand.
Then it deals with the merits of the arguments, mostly by links. If this is an issue of interest, take time to look up the links.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

JimFoxvog wrote:Here's a summary of one of the leading opponents of the theory of human caused climate change, with responses: https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ics-really The summary:
Then it deals with the merits of the arguments, mostly by links. If this is an issue of interest, take time to look up the links.
I ran down multiple links and they were all just articles in the guardian, which is known to be way left leaning. I found little except "consensus" option presented. They used a chart very similar to the one I posted to say the predictions were very accurate. I saw no evidence they were more accurate than what I presented, just someone saying they were. I was disappointed.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Anyone not believing in global warming now, will someday :) -

"Lift up your eyes to the sky, Then look to the earth beneath; For the sky will vanish like smoke, And the earth will wear out like a garment. And its inhabitants will die in like manner; But My salvation will be forever, And My righteousness will not wane. - Isaiah 51:6

Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will never pass away. Mathew 24:35

But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up. 2 Peter 3:10

Now thats a lot of heat ! Don't want to be here.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Sudsy wrote:Anyone not believing in global warming now, will someday :) -

"Lift up your eyes to the sky, Then look to the earth beneath; For the sky will vanish like smoke, And the earth will wear out like a garment. And its inhabitants will die in like manner; But My salvation will be forever, And My righteousness will not wane. - Isaiah 51:6

Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will never pass away. Mathew 24:35

But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up. 2 Peter 3:10

Evidently, that is not now.

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/04/29 ... ingly-bad/
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Robert wrote:
Sudsy wrote:Anyone not believing in global warming now, will someday :) -

Evidently, that is not now.

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/04/29 ... ingly-bad/
I have always wondered just how YECs will react if proof of a much older earth is proven beyond all reasonable doubt. Will they be like the 'flat earth' group. And likely some think they are already there.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit