Global Warning/Climate Change

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Re: Global Warning/Climate Change

Post by PeterG »

silentreader wrote:
PeterG wrote:
appleman2006 wrote:In fact electricity rates have more than doubled over the last number of years
Bootstrap wrote:That's not our current problem.
Right now it is Ontario's current problem. If our electricity rates ever double over such a short time, it certainly will be our current problem. People might even get amped up enough to offer resistance to the trend. There's no telling watt could happen if Americans could no longer afford electricity for their ohms and businesses.
They would probably get a short in their knots.

Wouldn't that be a shock!?!
Yes, increased charges can be shocking indeed, sparking unrest and inducing negativity. Thanks to appleman for relaying these warnings to us. I hope we can be insulated from harm, and will conduct the rest of our discussion in a calm, grounded manner.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

PeterG wrote:
silentreader wrote:
PeterG wrote:
Right now it is Ontario's current problem. If our electricity rates ever double over such a short time, it certainly will be our current problem. People might even get amped up enough to offer resistance to the trend. There's no telling watt could happen if Americans could no longer afford electricity for their ohms and businesses.

Yes, increased charges can be shocking indeed, sparking unrest and inducing negativity. Thanks to appleman for relaying these warnings to us. I hope we can be insulated from harm, and will conduct the rest of our discussion in a calm, grounded manner.
Thank you for being direct. Currently I'm alternating between being positive or negative about what has been transmitted.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

I am simply glad so many of us are so well grounded.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Bootstrap wrote:
Robert wrote:
RZehr wrote:I am a young earth creation believer, so you lost me with this chart.
Most all the science for climate change is based off of old earth ideology. Young earth people would most likely not even care about climate change because of the theology that God has a very tight control on things.
Young earth people don't care about pollution? They don't think we can do bad things to the environment?

I remember a time that pollution was a whole lot worse than it is now, a river catching on fire, cities like Lackawanna and Gary where the air was very polluted, the Love Canal incident ... and don't get me started on East Germany ... surely everyone believes that pollution can have consequences. That's not dependent on when and how the earth originated.
That's a straw man. CO2 isn't "pollution", and the focus on CO2 alone takes resources away from dealing with more important sources of pollution.

In any case, North Americans talking about CO2 is a waste of time. India and China have no plans to slow down their economies by reducing CO2, and they haven't even tackled basic pollution. The West cutting back on CO2 won't make any difference in the standard model of climate change.

But young earth people are going to tune out scientists who insist as fact that the earth is billions of years old, and would view their climate change claims with the same scepticism as their claims the earth is billions of years old.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

silentreader wrote:
PeterG wrote:
silentreader wrote:

Thank you for being direct. Currently I'm alternating between being positive or negative about what has been transmitted.
appleman2006 wrote:I am simply glad so many of us are so well grounded.
I love this kind of humor. It's electrified my day. :dance:
:clap: :laugh
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

MaxPC wrote:I love this kind of humor. It's electrified my day.
Well, I may be charging them all for negative energy, but I can be Faraday or two.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Robert wrote:
MaxPC wrote:I love this kind of humor. It's electrified my day.
Well, I may be charging them all for negative energy, but I can be Faraday or two.
I'm all for AMPle charity and compassion :mrgreen:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Bootstrap wrote:The political narrative seems to be that the bulk of mainstream science cannot be trusted - but the scientists hired by lobbyists and politicians and political movements can. And it's part of the general scheme of dismissing all conventional sources of truth that might disagree with a political agenda. There's probably no point in discussing the data, because the nature of the discussion shows, time and time again, that people won't discuss the data if they don't like what it says.

Climate change is not about any one study, it's about the entire body of literature in a scientific discipline.

So now there's a gag order on scientists who work for many branches of the government, they can no longer blog or tweet or communicate directly with the public, they need political appointees to decide what things can be said about science. I agree with this blogger.
Merely five days into Donald Trump’s presidency, the administration is silencing the agencies tasked with protecting our environment, our health, and our food supply. This gag order sets a dangerous precedent and is sending a chilling message to civil servants throughout the country.

“We knew the Trump administration would go beyond President George W. Bush’s administration in attacking science and suppressing research, but we didn’t know it would happen so fast and so egregiously. Suppressing public servant scientists from communicating with the American public is a dangerous move that sets us on a path where policy decisions are divorced from reality.

“Scientists at the agencies should know that we have their backs. They have a right to speak freely and duty to share their research publicly. Even if the Trump administration doesn’t respect science, the American public does.”
Going back through the thread and I will not only try to compile a list, I will also point out the times you did what you are claiming others are doing.

This blog post is rumor and not based in fact. It is political and does not move forward the discussion of the data.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Bootstrap wrote:Image
How does this help us move forward and look at the data?
0 x