Global Warning/Climate Change

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Re: Global Warning/Climate Change

Post by Robert »

[video][/video]
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

OK, so the first thing I do is look up who Shiva Ayyadurai is. Has he ever published anything related to climate change in a peer-reviewed journal? He's clearly a scientist and clearly intelligent, but this doesn't seem to be his field.

Once again, if you look at scientific sources, they don't say this kind of thing. I cannot find scientific journals or scientific associations that agree with him. If you look at political sources, you can find whatever opinion you want. And Shiva Ayyadura us also clearly a publicity seeker and politician, author of Internet Publicity Guide: How to Maximize Your Marketing and Promotion in Cyberspace

Here's his twitter account, which makes it plain that he is running for Senate, and also that he claims to have invented email.

Really? That sent me running to Wikipedia, which discusses this claim and has a lot of information on him.
V. A. Shiva Ayyadurai is an Indian-born American scientist and entrepreneur.

Ayyadurai is notable for his controversial claim to be the "inventor of email", based on the electronic mail software called "EMAIL" he wrote as a New Jersey high school student in the late 1970s. Initial reports that repeated Ayyadurai's assertion—from organizations such as The Washington Post and the Smithsonian Institution—were followed by public retractions.These corrections were triggered by objections from historians and ARPANET pioneers who pointed out that email was already actively used in the early 1970s.

Ayyadurai also produced two controversial reports: the first questioning the working conditions of India's largest scientific agency; the second questioning the safety of genetically modified soybeans. Ayyadurai holds four degrees from MIT, including a Ph.D. in biological engineering, and is a Fulbright grant recipient. He is a candidate in the 2018 United States Senate election in Massachusetts.
Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 2.06.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 2.06.27 PM.png (368.35 KiB) Viewed 449 times
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Erika wrote:The last ice age ended at a time when humans only had camp fires. Ice core samples show a higher level of Co2, and indicates that temperatures were much higher back then.
I don't know how to even begin talking about ice core samples and C02 and ice ages without looking at the scientific literature - I have no direct experience with any of these things. All the scientific journals or associations I can find that investigate past levels of C02 also tell me to be concerned about global warming.
Erika wrote:All the pollution in the world is a result of scientific inventions, oil processing, plastics, mining, coal production, nuclear waste from all those atomic test carried out by scientists.
I'm not sure that it takes a lot of science to burn coal or wood, and I think that many people who are not scientists know that they are polluting when they burn coal. But I do think that cleaning up after yourself is a good idea. I agree with you that pollution is a problem. And if scientists are right, C02 is negatively affecting the environment. If you just don't believe in what scientists say, there's no need to discuss ice core samples and C02. But it's really quite difficult to find scientific publications or scientific associations that agree with you.
Erika wrote:Now scientists want the tax payer to pay to clean up their mess. Their assets should be seized by governments to help pay for the global clean up. As a nurse I am concerned about the pollution which is affecting people's health. Global warming and cooling has been happening since the Fall. It is global normal, not warming.
I have to say, I worry when people start speaking like this. Let's not start hatemongering and threatening scientists just because they don't tell us what we want to hear. All of us pollute. All of us need to consider our choices and actions. I don't want to see nurses try to seize the assets of scientists or see scientists try to seize the assets of nurses. Civil society is a good thing.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

-10F this morning. I sure could use some global warming. Supposed to be close to -20F tonight.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Robert wrote:-10F this morning. I sure could use some global warming. Supposed to be close to -20F tonight.
Maybe we need a "freezing smiley" icon. :mrgreen:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Robert wrote:-10F this morning. I sure could use some global warming. Supposed to be close to -20F tonight.
Yes but because of these things, they started referring to it as "Climate Change" instead of "Global Warming" :roll:
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

I expect you are just trying to be funny and complain of the cold. We had -17°F here recently but only supposed to get down to -15°F here tonight. Brrr!

But global warming causes all kinds of climate change, and no one is predicting there will not be occassional cold spells with global warming. I don't know if global warming induced climate change is behind the current jet stream pattern or not.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Multiple deaths have already been attributed to the cold. I am ready to move back south. I bought up north anticipating Texas weather here by now. Seems I will have to move back south just to find warmth again.

It is funny that as soon as a warm spell hits, they blame climate change, but when cold spells hit, they claim it is just a variance and no indication that climate change is not happening.

I hope we see some global warming. I think it will be a good thing over all.
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Robert wrote: It is funny that as soon as a warm spell hits, they blame climate change, but when cold spells hit, they claim it is just a variance and no indication that climate change is not happening.
For a helpful partial explanation of the immediate weather, check the jet stream maps.
http://squall.sfsu.edu/crws/jetstream.html is a good source.
0 x