Global Warning/Climate Change

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Re: Global Warning/Climate Change

Post by Robert »

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017/12/ ... trump.html
French President Emmanuel Macron used the summit to seize the global spotlight, capitalizing on Trump's isolationist policies and German Chancellor Angela Merkel's domestic weakness to position himself as the world's moral compass on climate change.

"We're not moving fast enough," Macron said, warning that the 2015 Paris climate accord is "fragile."
And this is not a political issue? :lol:
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Robert wrote:http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017/12/ ... trump.html
French President Emmanuel Macron used the summit to seize the global spotlight, capitalizing on Trump's isolationist policies and German Chancellor Angela Merkel's domestic weakness to position himself as the world's moral compass on climate change.

"We're not moving fast enough," Macron said, warning that the 2015 Paris climate accord is "fragile."
And this is not a political issue?
Unfortunately, it has become one. All (except those who profit from pollution) should join together to work on solutions to the coming world crisis, whether on the right or left, center or apolitical.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Robert wrote:http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017/12/ ... trump.html

And this is not a political issue? :lol:
Here's what Macron said in that quote:
Here's what Fox said:
In that particular quote, I think the political content came from Fox.

But I do think that politicians try to gain stature in their moves. I think Trump's move to withdraw from the Paris accord was political, playing to his base. I think that Macron and other leaders are trying to move into the leadership void now that the United States is not participating. That's political.

And the media outlets most frequently quoted in this forum play up the politics to get people riled up and keep them engaged. People do the same on social medial

They do the same thing with the economy, natural disasters, crime, sexual harassment, and just about every other issue. The fact that an issue is politicized doesn't mean it isn't real. The hurricanes were politicized too. But they actually did happen.

If you want a scientific source that is less political, they do exist.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Hmmm, here's the opening line of that Fox article:
The global climate summit in Paris was designed to bypass Donald Trump, but the U.S. president ended up playing a starring role.
I don't think that's true. I think the world is just moving on without us. GM is committing to an all-electric future because that's what China, India, and Europe are demanding. Ford is making similar commitments. That's not some plot to bypass Trump, they are doing what they believe needs to be done. If we don't participate, they find other leaders.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

JimFoxvog wrote:the coming world crisis
I think this is the biggest difference in our positions Jim. I see it as an issue and concern, but not a crisis. Human trafficking and clean water are a crisis for me.

A 1 to 2 degree change in 100 years is not a crisis to me. A 4 degree change in 100 years is not a crisis for me.
0 x
JimFoxvog

Post by JimFoxvog »

Robert wrote:
I think this is the biggest difference in our positions Jim. I see it as an issue and concern, but not a crisis. Human trafficking and clean water are a crisis for me.

A 1 to 2 degree change in 100 years is not a crisis to me. A 4 degree change in 100 years is not a crisis for me.
Different people have different issues which they care most about. I respect that. Human trafficking and impure water destroy many lives. They are important issues to address. I suspect that climate change will destroy many more lives; I could be wrong. I think the Lord uses different people having different missions.
0 x
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

Robert wrote:

It might even be beneficial rather than a crisis. Quite frankly a 4 degree decrease would be a crisis.
0 x
JimFoxvog

Post by JimFoxvog »

Wayne in Maine wrote: It might even be beneficial rather than a crisis. Quite frankly a 4-degree decrease would be a crisis.
Part of the problem is that while there may be what seems a minor rise in the average, some locations see much greater changes. Here's one discussion of what might be expected which is not nearly so alarmist as many analyses: https://www.livescience.com/58891-why-2 ... tters.html
0 x
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

JimFoxvog wrote:
Wayne in Maine wrote: It might even be beneficial rather than a crisis. Quite frankly a 4-degree decrease would be a crisis.
Part of the problem is that while there may be what seems a minor rise in the average, some locations see much greater changes. Here's one discussion of what might be expected which is not nearly so alarmist as many analyses: https://www.livescience.com/58891-why-2 ... tters.html
Every conclusion in that article is alarmist. It is essentially saying that any increase in global temperature will have only a negative impact. This is why so much of the "Global Climate Change" phenomena is so hard to accept as anything but hype with a political/social/economic agenda.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017/12/ ... finds.html
A new study by Australian researchers says that data on how sea levels are rising, relied upon by the United Nations, was adjusted upward in “arbitrary” ways.

The researchers examined sea level measurements in three locations around the Indian Ocean dating back to the 1800s and found that the raw sea level measurements showed no clear rise in sea levels.
0 x