Bill Bonner and Agora Inc - the newest economic conspiracy theory...

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Bill Bonner and Agora Inc - the newest economic conspiracy theory...

Post by lesterb »

Well, it may not be the newest one. But I remember a similar thing that swept NA in the 70's or thereabouts. Only then they were forecasting runaway inflation and telling you how to survive the (then) coming economic collapse.

See this. Be sure you have 45 minutes to spare.

He does say a lot of good things, which we should pay attention to. But I suspect that this is just someone else who is milking the system and the fears of North Americans. I'd be interested in what you think. Are we facing a major collapse? And is there a way to respond to it?
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Bill Bonner and Agora Inc - the newest economic conspiracy theory...

Post by RZehr »

I didn't watch it. How many of their predictions didn't happen?

One way to respond is to lay up treasures in heaven.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

On May 14, 2002, Agora Inc predicted a pricing agreement contract between USEC and Tennex (a Russian governmental agent corp) to sell dismantled nuclear warheads to USEC at a reduced rate would be officially approved on May 22, 2002. They sold a report containing this prediction to gullible subscribers for a fee of $1,000.00.
The pricing agreement was not approved until June 19, 2002.
Instead of doubling or tripling as Agora predicted, USEC stock tumbled nearly 15% on May 22, 2002.

Just one incident of many. Bill Bonner and Agora, Inc are scam artists.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

george! -
how many world prophesies have we out-lived by now? - hundreds? :?
RZehr wrote: .. One way to respond is to lay up treasures in heaven.
roger that. 8-)
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

There's an unlimited number of these conspiracy theories to go around, and giving in to the fear from them is a great distraction from Jesus' kingdom.

I note that Jesus and the Epistles barely say anything about all the very evil conspiracies going on at the time.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

We should respond by studying and teaching sound investment theory, and by practicing what we learn from that in our everyday life. Sound investments will not be not lose value during economic declines, when market bubbles burst, or when stock markets collapse. The rate of return is phenomenal, regardless of the economic climate.
These secrets can be yours......for free!!!
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

I did not watch the video because I do not have 45 mins. to spare right now.

But do I believe there will be a collapse. Absolutely. But not because of any supposed conspiracy theory. I tend to believe that because I simply do not see a way out of the mess we have dug ourselves into.

My only question is when not if. I think there is still a good possibility it could be 10 or even 20 years away but one thing I am quite confident of is this. When it happens it will be fast and probably in a proportion that has never been seen before at least in modern times.

What do I base it on? Quite simply the fact that not one person, not one has ever been able to explain to me how we will ever balance our budgets and pay off the debt.

To simplify things there really are only two camps. One says that austerity is the answer and the other says that national debt does not really matter and that we never will have to pay it off. The government can simply go into debt further and further forever.

Here in an abbreviated form is why I reject both solutions. The first solution actually could of possibly worked yet, 15 to 20 years ago with enough political will and integrity but at this point as I have stated before the medicine is simply to bitter. People will simply not be willing to voluntarily make the sacrifices needed. And any plan implemented will collapse before it ever near reaches it's conclusion. Which ironically will simply bring the complete collapse on that much faster IMO.

The latter solution simply makes no logical sense. Ask yourself this question. If it really did not matter how far countries go into debt why do we have any taxation at all? Why would governments need any of our money? Think about it.

But really in all seriousness if this kind of stuff causes you to lie awake at night you may in fact be stocking up your treasure in the wrong place. While I do sorrow for the hurt and the hardship it will cause humanity, I am not fearful and those of you that know me well will know that I am not sitting in a cave shivering and waiting for the inevitable collapse.

And I am quite open to being convinced that I am wrong in my predictions. I really hope I am.
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Speaking of conspiracies. I have never identified with the "birthers" as they so disdainfully are called but after watching the news conference last night I am wondering if they will yet have the last laugh. I will admit though that I do not know enough about it nor care enough about it to do the research as to whether their latest findings hold any water. I would be interested in hearing what others think.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I haven't watched this video. But I did watch a video put out by someone like this (maybe the same guys) which predicted economic disasters and highlighted their prior successful predictions, and wanted to sell subscriptions.
With their track record of churning out predictions, I'd be shocked if they didn't get some correct. Even a blind hog finds a walnut sometimes. So I don't really believe these things and don't worry a bit about it. I'm going to keep living how I have been. If the way I'm living is according to how God plans for me/us to live, then he will take care of me/us.
Of course more economic disasters will come. And some of these types of guys will be shown correct. But why worry about it? Lets try to live a life of contentment and peace, and focus on the things that we are called to do.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

appleman2006 wrote:I did not watch the video because I do not have 45 mins. to spare right now.

But do I believe there will be a collapse. Absolutely. But not because of any supposed conspiracy theory. I tend to believe that because I simply do not see a way out of the mess we have dug ourselves into.

My only question is when not if. I think there is still a good possibility it could be 10 or even 20 years away but one thing I am quite confident of is this. When it happens it will be fast and probably in a proportion that has never been seen before at least in modern times.

What do I base it on? Quite simply the fact that not one person, not one has ever been able to explain to me how we will ever balance our budgets and pay off the debt.

To simplify things there really are only two camps. One says that austerity is the answer and the other says that national debt does not really matter and that we never will have to pay it off. The government can simply go into debt further and further forever.

Here in an abbreviated form is why I reject both solutions. The first solution actually could of possibly worked yet, 15 to 20 years ago with enough political will and integrity but at this point as I have stated before the medicine is simply to bitter. People will simply not be willing to voluntarily make the sacrifices needed. And any plan implemented will collapse before it ever near reaches it's conclusion. Which ironically will simply bring the complete collapse on that much faster IMO.

The latter solution simply makes no logical sense. Ask yourself this question. If it really did not matter how far countries go into debt why do we have any taxation at all? Why would governments need any of our money? Think about it.

But really in all seriousness if this kind of stuff causes you to lie awake at night you may in fact be stocking up your treasure in the wrong place. While I do sorrow for the hurt and the hardship it will cause humanity, I am not fearful and those of you that know me well will know that I am not sitting in a cave shivering and waiting for the inevitable collapse.

And I am quite open to being convinced that I am wrong in my predictions. I really hope I am.
:up: :up:
I agree on every point. Because we have a number of self-sufficiency skills, we've been approached by preppers and survivalists who want to do a huddle to talk about "the end". When I share with them that I'm not worried because of our hope and faith in God, their eyes widen. They have trouble understanding that it's possible to live life without the fear of societal collapse.
RZehr wrote:So I don't really believe these things and don't worry a bit about it. I'm going to keep living how I have been. If the way I'm living is according to how God plans for me/us to live, then he will take care of me/us.
Of course more economic disasters will come. And some of these types of guys will be shown correct. But why worry about it? Lets try to live a life of contentment and peace, and focus on the things that we are called to do.
Amen and amen!
Last edited by MaxPC on Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God