FB: Locked. Government Photo ID

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Re: FB: Locked. Government Photo ID

Post by lesterb »

mike wrote:
ohio jones wrote:
temporal1 wrote:in recent weeks, FB seems to be restricting The Blaze, and Prager U, also, some of these other sites. i’m not sure of their rationale, which to restrict, which to allow?
Maybe they've decreased, or haven't increased, their FB advertising budget. If you want to see all of their content, go to their dotcom site or subscribe to their RSS feed. Relying on FB to decide what you should see is not usually the best strategy.
I heard at a marketing seminar that the percentage of a business page's posts that are seen by its fans is typically around 17%. The number is directly related to Facebook's "secret sauce" (how many people FB thinks are really interested in the content) and by whether the page pays to boost its posts. Facebook makes money from businesses promoting their content.

Instagram (owned by Facebook) and Twitter do not similarly restrict a business's posts. Likely a part of why Twitter struggles to make money. But it's their business model.
Robert wrote:Sites like facebook come and go. Right now they are really strong, but will die down in the next 5-10 years. That may seem like a long time, but int he whole scheme of things it is not.
It's not dying yet. I get far better measurable customer engagement from Facebook than from direct email and of course from print advertising which is fading in value. I am impressed with the age demographics of Facebook users. This is a social media platform that is being used heavily by people of all ages.
All ages? See this.

[video][/video]
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

mike wrote:I have never understood the whole idea of Facebook manipulating users' thinking via how it distributes news. I don't even think of FB as a place to read news. All I see typically is things that friends and pages I like post, and a few sponsored posts (I use an ad blocker). Where is all the news on Facebook anyway? Genuine or fake? I don't see it. I go to news sites for news, not Facebook.
This is probably worth a thread of its own. Some day soon.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

ohio jones wrote:Last I checked, FB was a private entity, not a public utility, with the right to restrict content on their site however they choose. Every user agrees to the terms of service when establishing an account, and their actions are (presumably) consistent with the TOS. So I don't get the outrage. If you don't agree with the terms or their actions, don't use FB. And if you do use it, don't expect or demand free speech just because it's a "free" site.
Exactly true.

I'm not sure how many people have read the terms of service. But when you use Facebook, I think it's important to remember that the way they make money is by selling information about you to people who want to influence you. That's their business model.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote:Same here. I’m certainly curious how people think FB can change an election.
If someone believes that, it means they think the voters are very dumb and easily manipulated.
lots of folks with big money in power positions believe it.
proven in November 2016.

instead of learning a lesson, they choose to double-down on their investments. understandable human reasoning. their investments are huge: news and entertainment industries, DOE, lobbies, etc.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Bootstrap wrote:Exactly true.

I'm not sure how many people have read the terms of service. But when you use Facebook, I think it's important to remember that the way they make money is by selling information about you to people who want to influence you. That's their business model.
Doesn't society have a place to regulate this, though? That's what Europe is doing with the GDPR.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

lesterb wrote: All ages? See this.
[video][/video]
i’ve spent enough time on the U.S. West Coast to believe this video is not an exaggeration.
meanwhile, this meme makes me imagine FB’s policy board:
free speech / hate speech
http://alumniforacatholicusd.org/conten ... age001.jpg

the mental picture i have of FB’s policy board versus Diamond and Silk, is something akin to self-absorbed young people subjectively “FB unfriending” their parents. and, many have, for years.
Last edited by temporal1 on Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

FB's demographics are trending towards Gen. X, which makes it a good marketing tool to reach buyers of that age (as mike has experienced).
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: Doesn't society have a place to regulate this, though? That's what Europe is doing with the GDPR.
historically, U.S. prevailing wisdom has been to let the market determine outcomes.
i generally agree.

that does not mean consumers have no voice other than their wallets.
customer complaints, customer requests, are fair play, too.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

April 9, 2018
Reuters / MZ meets with lawmakers
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-face ... e=facebook

mashable / FB / Cambridge-Analytica
https://mashable.com/2018/04/09/faceboo ... MUMhYvD9qk

UK independent / how to find out ..
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 1523276304
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

i suppose i use FB in an irregular way.
i do not have a smartphone.
i have an ipad. and an older hp laptop.
apps? .. hmm. rarely use one. i have an app for Kindle. NOAA weather.

i have 1 FB friend, my daughter. i see family pics there. no politics. or current events.
she barely uses FB, very private. she has a few hundred friends.
her daughter is not allowed.

i “follow” a few pages. i have “unfollowed” a few.
some are quite interesting. i’ve thot of sharing them here. mostly ancient history sites.
some are Christian-centered, like, Scroll Publishing.
a couple are MN members’ business pages. i enjoy those.

typically, i read-only on these sites.
when they post something of particular interest, i go to their website for more info.

i see “news feed” posts .. some topics from around the world i would not otherwise think about.
some sources are new to me. i enjoy reading comments from people from all over.
when it’s something of interest, i go to their websites, or google for more info.

i have not gotten used to DuckDuckGo, or other alternatives, yet. :P
they are on my radar.

probably, because of the way i use FB, i’m not overly bothered by this present broo-ha-ha.
everyone needs accountability. no accountability just never ends well.
if FB disappeared tomorrow, i would miss family pics most.

i am glad i did that odd thing of not accumulating loads of FB friends.
it was/is a temptation. but, there has always been “something” about FB that felt invasive to me.
i never became comfortable with it.

when i first tried FB, i saw some personal content of a relative that i was pretty sure he would not want me to see .. so. (it wasn’t awful.) just personal. i just don’t feel ok with it.
TMI? :lol:

the thing about Diamond and Silk with FB is similar to my (disgust) with FB that “inspired” this thread.
(just before the Nov 2016 election) .. FB blocked me without warning, demanding a gov issued photo ID. what?!

these are the same folks who are all-for “no ID required” in local, state, federal elections?
hmm.

to repeat: :P
http://alumniforacatholicusd.org/conten ... age001.jpg

FB stocks plunged (Robert’s note that FB is a temporary entity might be on the conservative side:)
March 2018 / “Facebook User Engagement Falls After Data Scandal”
https://money.usnews.com/investing/stoc ... c-fb-stock
0 x

UNKNOWN