FB: Locked. Government Photo ID

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
temporal1
Affiliation: less than the least

Re: FB: Locked. Government Photo ID

Postby temporal1 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:47 pm

mike wrote: .. I am impressed with the age demographics of Facebook users.
This is a social media platform that is being used heavily by people of all ages.
one of the early things i noticed about the internet, and, strengthened by my experience on this forum, was how the internet provides a great outlet for the disabled, for shut-ins, of all ages, and, for older folks.

the internet “levels the playing field” for a lot of people. it does not care if you are bedridden, cannot sleep through the night, are isolated with no visitors, or other.

there are lots of internet fails, but, this is a general positive.
1 x
formerly Temporal1

“The past is never dead. It's not even past.”
William Faulkner, Requiem for a Nun

temporal1

Postby temporal1 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:52 pm

PeterG wrote:
ohio jones wrote:Relying on FB to decide what you should see is not usually the best strategy.
^This.
i have learned lots of helpful things on this forum. when i first arrived, i was reading huffington post a lot, because that’s what showed up when i went to search email.
OJ let me know, that was not a good choice. :D
that was helpful! i ignore huffpo (for years now) ‘found a way to search email without seeing it.
0 x
formerly Temporal1

temporal1

Postby temporal1 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:04 pm

Robert wrote:
Soloist wrote:I'm more and more convinced that social media is bad for us, not only will it possibly contribute to the anti-christ ability to act as all knowing, but its a serious influence that has led to the destruction of many.

:arrow: The printing press had many side effects too.
It took 50-100 years for society to reshuffle around the need for literacy and the ability for the common person to gain the knowledge once owned by the elites.

Social media definitely has some down sides. The up side is the ability for everyone to have knowledge and access to others of similar viewpoints. This, too, has side effects, some bad.

Many are starting to catch up with the technology and learn how to better use it as a tool instead of letting it be out of control. More will learn. Some will never learn. Like drug addicts, some will not be able to find the balance and self control. Most will.

I see more and more shift towards people realizing that social media is a fun tool, but it does not replace real encounters with real people. More are using it as a tool to build those real relationships. It will take time and we will make a lot of mistakes as we go forward, but I do see society moving forward, ever so slowly and imperfectly.

I am the eternal optimist though.
i like your simile. good one. :D
i’ve compared the internet to how life must have been - after the advent of wheels, before brakes!
i have an image of lots of cabbage carts careening off cliffsides! :shock:

OJ compared it to life after construction of Roman roads.

i like all these comparisons. in my mind, they’re visual, and, fair.

some are harmed in the process, that’s not funny.
the suicide rate has been high in recent years. i have to believe the stress of hopelessness is the big contributor. so much “information/misinformation,” without Truth. i can certainly understand how it happens.

by contrast, history reflects, with Hope, and Faith, people can endure so much. by comparison, often much more than “internet trauma.” it’s a big lesson for today’s crazy world. the big lesson.
0 x
formerly Temporal1

Return to “Other”