Last Words...

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Last Words...

Post by lesterb »

This was Paul's testimony in the last letter we have on record from him.

He didn't have an easy life. The Christian life is seldom easy. But it strikes me that his focus isn't on what Christ has done for him. Rather, it is on what he has done for Christ. In light of that, he expects the crown.

So how does that fit in with the Christocentric view that it isn't what we do, it's what Christ has done?
2Ti 4:7-8 ESV I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. (8) Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Re: Last Words...

Post by ken_sylvania »

Reminds me of Jesus' words in Matthew 25:31-46 and Revelation 20:12, which speak of judgement according to works. It's a concept we tend to shy away from.
0 x
lesterb

Post by lesterb »

ken_sylvania wrote:Reminds me of Jesus' words in Matthew 25:31-46 and Revelation 20:12, which speak of judgement according to works. It's a concept we tend to shy away from.
I know. I thought of those while I was writing the original post.

I wonder if we haven't slid a bit off the center of the road in this. We want to avoid legalism. We know that our salvation is "not by works of righteousness which we have done." But we tend to overlook the passages about obedience.

So how do we hit a proper understanding and balance in all of this? How do we pull it together?
0 x
ragpicker
Affiliation: Mennobapticostal

Post by ragpicker »

lesterb wrote:So how do we hit a proper understanding and balance in all of this? How do we pull it together?
I am not sure this is something we should strive to be balanced about. I am pretty sure an either/or view, and a balanced view, both miss the point. I could easily be wrong though.
0 x
Embrace the lonely road.
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

I will admit that this issue is one that I have wrestled with personally quite a bit over the past 20 years. And I am still not sure where that balancing line is.
One thing I am becoming at least partly convinced of is this. If you think that you are sufficiently checking off all the boxes and are "good enough" that you will merit the words "Well done faithful servant" at the end of your life I am guessing that you are actually missing out on some pretty significant parts of becoming Christ like. On the other hand if you have not developed a strong enough love for God that you even consider it worth while following after him may I suggest that you may not even have availed yourself of the spirit of God in your life which is the only way you even have a chance of finding favour with God.
0 x
lesterb

Post by lesterb »

I thought of this passage. It seems to come at the subject from both angles at the same time.
Php 2:1-16 ESV So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy, (2) complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. (3) Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. (4) Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. (5) Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, (6) who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, (7) but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. (8) And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. (9) Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, (10) so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, (11) and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. (12) Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, (13) for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. (14) Do all things without grumbling or disputing, (15) that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, (16) holding fast to the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I may be proud that I did not run in vain or labor in vain.
This is both a humbling and a challenging passage.

1. Have the mind of Christ.
2. Obey as he obeyed.
3. Be willing to die as He was willing to die.
4. Allow God to work in and through us, as he worked in and through Christ.

We can only work out our own salvation because God is working in us "both to will and to work for his good pleasure." So it is Christ anyway. We are "his workmanship," as another passage tells us.
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

That passage is one of my favourites, Lester. And I think it holds the key to why Paul could say at the end of his life that he had been able to fight a good fight.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

appleman2006 wrote:That passage is one of my favourites, Lester. And I think it holds the key to why Paul could say at the end of his life that he had been able to fight a good fight.
in my real life, this is a passage i've never heard anyone claim for self, but, one that is sometimes respectfully said of highly esteemed others.

sublime words for our ultimate goal.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

lesterb wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote:Reminds me of Jesus' words in Matthew 25:31-46 and Revelation 20:12, which speak of judgement according to works. It's a concept we tend to shy away from.
I know. I thought of those while I was writing the original post.

I wonder if we haven't slid a bit off the center of the road in this. We want to avoid legalism. We know that our salvation is "not by works of righteousness which we have done." But we tend to overlook the passages about obedience.

So how do we hit a proper understanding and balance in all of this? How do we pull it together?
When we quote Ephesians 2:8 & 9, that we make sure to include verse 10. I like to remind my evangelical friends of this, who more often than not, stop at verse 9...
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth