Christian Music

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Haystack
Affiliation: Christian

Christian Music

Post by Haystack »

I thought it would be interesting to talk about the different types of Christian music, even if most here don't listen to other types of music besides acapella. Before I became a Christian I listened to a lot of Christian music and I found the lyrics to be inspirational and uplifting compared to other music of the same genres.

A quick google search revealed several types of Christian genres;
CCM.
Christian Metal.
Christian Pop.
Christian Rap.
Christian Rock.
Classic Christian.
Contemporary Gospel.

I enjoy acapella just as much as any other genre, but I often wonder why various types of other Christian music aren't acceptable? The lyrics are clean and holy, is it the way that the music is delivered? The image of various genres? (Disclaimer; this is for information purposes only, not complaining in anyway, shape, or form).
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Christian Music

Post by RZehr »

In what direction does the music provoke you? What emotions does it bring forth? Could start with that.
As someone raised in and still in an accapella only church, I would feel quite uncomfortable with most of this music.
But I'd be interested in what others with broader experience have to say.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Exploring the history of music from the 15th century onward will be an interesting exercise, and should help you form your own understanding of what music is, what its effect on you is, and how it can either build up or try to tear down Jesus' kingdom.

Baroque music and instruments, which started in the 15th century, were the harbinger of a new type of music which was more easily played, more easily consumed, and more readily appeals to the sense. Following that was the pianoforte of the 17th century, which really ushered in music that sways and moves the emotions with its high dynamic range (ability to play notes either very soft or very loud).

For what it's worth, four-part acapella falls under the umbrella of modern music; I don't think all modern forms of music are necessarily bad.
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

I need to hear the words in order for it to be spiritual instead of fleshly. Some other forms other than acapella I can hear some of the words but for the most part I cannot understand until I have heard it a few times. The ones I can hear feel too emotional and carnal as enjoyment for my old nature with musical instruments included.

Acapella does something much more on the spiritual level. Acapella singing like most things we do for example the cape dress - it isn't the only way to be Christian but it certainly is the most God honoring way of doing things than any other forms I have seen/or we have tried personally.

Acapella in fellowship sets everybody at the same level and no extra attention is drawn to any one person except God. Everyone can partake.

Growing up with horrible music and then attending a few churches for short periods with musical instruments - the first time we stepped into an Anabaptist church with acapella singing; it was so different and more beautiful than anything the world offers, it was absolutely devote, reverent, and amazing! The closeness of a Christian community sharing in song for His glory is really special. I won't go back.

Others can have their instruments and that is fine but I have no use for them.
0 x
Haystack
Affiliation: Christian

Post by Haystack »

I believe that it's a good tool to transition into acapella only Churches for those who are new to them. For one it helps get away from the explicit mainstream music that might be full of bad messages. It helps promote living a more Chrislike life. If someone is transitioning into a new life, Church, etc I believe that they will have more success taking "baby steps" than going full on "cold turkey". Just like anyone with a addiction, it takes time to over come and I believe the same can be said for changes in life as well. Some people might thrive going the cold turkey route, but others might be more successful doing it in steps. If it helps someone eventually drop all music for acapella only then I see it as a good thing.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

I listen to hymns or Acapella. I enjoyed contemporary Christian/ gospel but after much reading and thinking, I decided it's not the most godly music choice.
For one, CCM follows the "popular voice"... In other words it looks to the world and mimics it's felshly, sensual appeal.
I believe gospel and most CCM is too hyper-emotional, arbitrary, and non-Biblical.
I really enjoy the lyrics and messages of Acapella and hymns.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

I enjoy acapella just as much as any other genre, but I often wonder why various types of other Christian music aren't acceptable?
Lots of people will give you lots of answers to your questions, Haystack. For what it's worth, (and maybe it's what you meant by "image"), but one of the reasons is that more often than not, most of the aforementioned genres have cultures or cultural aspects tied to them that are not conducive to a simple, nonconformed lifestyle such as many anabaptists and conservative folk are seeking or want to maintain, and often those genres have just as much or more influence through those undesired cultural aspects than they do through their good lyrics.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Haystack wrote:I thought it would be interesting to talk about the different types of Christian music, even if most here don't listen to other types of music besides acapella. Before I became a Christian I listened to a lot of Christian music and I found the lyrics to be inspirational and uplifting compared to other music of the same genres.
Your statement in bolded print above reminded me of Balaam's donkey in Numbers 22:21-41. God has even used a donkey to get his message across. :mrgreen: :hug:

Personal preference: I listen to monastic chant ( form of a cappella) as well as the a cappella of the Anabaptists. :D
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I picked up 3 tapes at the MCC for 25¢ - old acapella tapes.

I also noticed a lot of late 80s / early 90s musical recordings from the non plain Mennonite world. I'd never heard of any of them before.

I wonder how many of these singing groups, recordings etc will become lost to the sands of time.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

I prefer listening to singing without instruments, but I hate singing without them. I don't know how to sing and its really tough to do a class with your wife while you have 3 soon to be 4 crazy kids running around... Sigh... maybe sometime I'll not have little kids and can learn to sing properly :roll:
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat