Christian Music

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Re: Christian Music

Post by Wade »

Soloist wrote:I prefer listening to singing without instruments, but I hate singing without them. I don't know how to sing and its really tough to do a class with your wife while you have 3 soon to be 4 crazy kids running around... Sigh... maybe sometime I'll not have little kids and can learn to sing properly :roll:
I too have no idea how to sing or read music. But it doesn't mean you can't try to make a joyful noise unto the Lord! When we sing together during family devotions we are restricted to only a few songs with not hearing many of them before and not being able to read music... Thankfully my wife can read music and does sing well. I've found since we encourage singing and like it - even if I am off, the children really make an effort to sit down and sing then too.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Soloist wrote:I don't know how to sing
Interesting choice of usernames. 8-)
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Haystack,
thank you for this thread.
as a NMB, i have learned learned more about CM understanding of music reading this thread than all the (years) prior, combined .. which included many-many Mennonite choir pieces.

those were examples, this thread discusses "why." helpful. :D
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Haystack wrote: A quick google search revealed several types of Christian genres;
CCM.
Christian Metal.
Christian Pop.
Christian Rap.
Christian Rock.
Classic Christian.
Contemporary Gospel.

I enjoy acapella just as much as any other genre, but I often wonder why various types of other Christian music aren't acceptable? The lyrics are clean and holy, is it the way that the music is delivered? The image of various genres? (Disclaimer; this is for information purposes only, not complaining in anyway, shape, or form).
I find all of the above, except the rap, inspiring or helpful at times.

Obviously generalizing, but the classic Christian hymns are often the best at teaching and theology. The classical is the most beautiful and awe inspiring. CCM is often best at expressing our emotions of love for God. The pop makes pleasant background music that helps maintain a godly mood. A capella is challenging to me, and promotes effort in cooperation. The excitement of rock and metal can be energizing to action.

Now, when we have videos of singers in jewelry or flashy clothing performing these, that is downright distracting from any good message.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Sometimes I don't connect the dots... :P soloist... lol

Its a hold over from my younger years of wanting to fly solo in a Cessna 172.
I am more willing to sing in the shower or in the car by myself... so yea soloist :dance:
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Wade

Post by Wade »

Something that convinced me that music is very powerful when I was an atheist was looking into Dr. Emoto and his studies on water and water crystals. He even goes as far as to scientifically prove prayer works. While this sounds weak in faith - needing science, for me it was really *instrumental* and opened me up to accepting more than the five senses.
We see in scripture how David could tame Saul with music and verses saying life and death are in the power of the tongue. I have come to believe that music is always worship and something too powerful for me to risk listening to something that appeals to my flesh.
Looking in Dr. Emoto's work is fascinating.
0 x
Wade

Post by Wade »

Last night while my wife was busy I was trying to calm a screaming two week old that wanted to be fed... Feeding him is not something I am able to help with...

With full hands I sang to him - Jesus loves me - but that song didn't really do much. Then - God is love - helped a bit more. Then when I sang - Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing - he completely calmed and stared up at me. 2/3rds of the way through the first verse he smiled. :D
Being a bit startled I laughed and so he immediately stopped. He started squirming so I started singing again and he calmed down and looked up at me. And near the end of the song he was smiling again in time for his mama to see.

A moment to be very grateful for the acapella we have learned in Mennonite churches. :D
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

I sort of tried the singing last night, I think my newborn just found my singing to be worthy of my skills. She stopped for a moment and went back to screaming :roll:
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Wade

Post by Wade »

Soloist wrote:I sort of tried the singing last night, I think my newborn just found my singing to be worthy of my skills. She stopped for a moment and went back to screaming :roll:
I wouldn't say it works every time. But nor do we give up on sharing the Gospel when it doesn't seem to have effect on some people.

My uncle who is not walking with the Lord came over the other day. We sang a Christmas hymn to him - he really enjoyed it. He said that he was reminded of going to the Catholic church when he was little with his parents (my grandparents on my mothers side).
He said that his mother was absolutely terrible at singing but to him it was the most beautiful sound because he truly felt it was coming from the heart.
I didn't ask him to critique us... :lol:
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Here's some accapella music. I think we have the CD of this someplace....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-1-MgOkiQo

EVERYBODY SAID (But Nobody Did)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.