Affiliation: Roman Catholic

Re: Baptism in the Catholic Church

Post by Falco Knotwise »

temporal1 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:24 pm Image
i believe “i see” the Briar Patch coming along in the near future. :mrgreen:

GAMEO / RCC
https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Roman_Catholic_Church
The final paragraphs:
.. Despite these changes, in many Mennonite circles, rural as well as urban, lay as well as theologically trained, considerable residual suspicion of Catholicism remains. Theologically literate Mennonites are suspicious of Catholic understandings of priesthood, sacrament, tradition, and teaching office; grass-roots Mennonites continue elements of the traditional Protestant rejection of Catholicism as idolatrous and apostate.

Exceptions to the above generalizations are illustrated by the pamphlet by Hans-Jürgen Goerz. Goerz passes over the "Constantinian Fall" theory of church history, places the "fall of the church" in the Gregorian Reform of the 11th century (a viewpoint remarkably similar to recent scholarship on the growth of the papacy), and maintains a tone of cautious openness toward a wide variety of Catholic teachings.

Roman Catholicism has a high view of the institutional church, her tradition, and her teaching office.
Mennonites have similarly held a high view of the visible church, depending, however, on unwritten rules and structures, in contrast to the highly developed theology, priesthood, and canon law of the Roman Catholics.

Similarly, since the Anabaptist movement, Anabaptists and Mennonites have taught a memorialistic view of baptism and communion as mere signs rather than sacraments (dynamic symbols), which places Mennonites at the opposite extreme from the Roman Catholic understanding of the use of visible and physical things in sacral worship.

Practically speaking, Mennonites have also made use of created things in a sacralized way, failing however, to develop a theology of sacrament to explain the relationship of spirit and matter. -- Dennis D. Martin

Personally, i’m intrigued understanding how Luther and Simons were devout Catholics with no desire to leave their Church.
i believe this to mean it was grueling, not at all frivolous. For me, this is an important aspect. “They loved their Church so much” .. they wanted Truth to lead. i just can’t get over how significant that part was.

(i suspect) the worst factor was that the Church+State were one, this made it impossble for .. the Waldensians, and others, to appeal to scriptural Truth, it was all mixed up with government, government saw it all through political-power lenses, basic, raw, human reasoning. They saw it as an existential threat.

Lutherans and Catholics today (as i’ve met them, not state churches) .. have much in common with Anabaptists, they aren’t drowning others, and (mostly) would be shocked at the thought this ever happened.

i believe Anabaptists have had a huge impact in the world. Often unrecognized.

i believe anyone (who actually READS+BELIEVES scriptures) is bound to find common ground with Anabaptists;
after all, that’s what the big problems were about: men READING+BELIEVING.

it mostly seems hard to imagine now, literacy and scriptures are taken forgranted.
at that time, tho, the idea that common people’s beliefs would not be strictly controlled by the state .. was grounds for death.

The RCC then was The State. That’s a hard concept for most in the west.

Correct where i misunderstand. :)
Very good, temp! :wave:

Some of us never really had a clue of all this history until well into our adulthood, and we’re still trying to figure it out!
Last edited by Falco Knotwise on Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Falco Knotwise wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:32 pm
ohio jones wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:28 pm
Falco Knotwise wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:02 pm
Why is it when I tried that I got no response?
Well, he said "I'm going to request" and then actually did so. I see now that you asked a question, but did you actually report a post? We don't necessarily read everything, especially in a thread on Catholicism that is tangential to the main content of the forum.
Thanks OJ. Next time I will more politely say, “I’m going to request.”

I did report it. I believe it went to Robert. The only response I got is “the report is closed” which I think means “nothing will be done about it?”

Is that what “Report Closed” means? I really don’t know and would appreciate some clarity.
"Report Closed" means that one of the moderators read the report and clicked the "close report" button. It is independent of any other action taken, or not taken as the case may be. The OP of the thread (Soloist in this case) does have priority in requesting janitorial services.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Falco Knotwise

Post by Falco Knotwise »

ohio jones wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:49 pm
Falco Knotwise wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:32 pm
ohio jones wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:28 pm
Well, he said "I'm going to request" and then actually did so. I see now that you asked a question, but did you actually report a post? We don't necessarily read everything, especially in a thread on Catholicism that is tangential to the main content of the forum.
Thanks OJ. Next time I will more politely say, “I’m going to request.”

I did report it. I believe it went to Robert. The only response I got is “the report is closed” which I think means “nothing will be done about it?”

Is that what “Report Closed” means? I really don’t know and would appreciate some clarity.
"Report Closed" means that one of the moderators read the report and clicked the "close report" button. It is independent of any other action taken, or not taken as the case may be. The OP of the thread (Soloist in this case) does have priority in requesting janitorial services.
I still felt like I was abandoned to the wolves though. :shock: Nonetheless, all’s well that ends well!

Thanks, OJ :)
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Falco Knotwise wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:45 pm

Very good, temp! :wave:
Some of us never really had a clue of all this history until well into our adulthood, and we’re still trying to figure it out!
o.thanks.
on this forum, i often feel i’m the only one who didn’t know, altho i realize that can’t be the case.

it was a rude awakening.
unforunately, my fav pastor had passed away before i stumbled onto MD.
i would have liked to talk with him about it.

it was a rude awakening, however, present problems in (all) churches beg primary focus.
my fav pastor saw it coming, i didn’t, but i realized he was doing all he could to stem the tide.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Falco Knotwise

Post by Falco Knotwise »

Josh wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:21 pm JM does indeed have a very negative view of the RCC. However, I think that provides helpful balance to this forum and is a viewpoint that needs to be respected.

Over the years, MD and MennoNet have tended to be infested (if I’m allowed to use that term) with promoters of the apostolic branches, that is, Eastern Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism. Whilst such viewpoints are allowed here, they should not expect this to be a place where the RCC or EOism is immune from criticism.
By the way Josh, there was supposed to be a smiley face :lol: after the “apostolics” there like so:
No, I’m sure no one will complain about your use of the word “infested” so long as it’s in reference to us “apostolics”. :lol:
No, im not offended in the least. I just thought it was funny considering what a deal was made of it in that other thread. We’re good, Josh! 👍
0 x
JayP
Affiliation: NA

Re: briar patch

Post by JayP »

This thread has really gone nuts. Ritualistic killings of priests,huh? Lol

When any thread on any topic gets dominated by those wearing tin foil hats it is time to run.

Where did I put the key to my bunker?
2 x
Falco Knotwise

Post by Falco Knotwise »

IMG_0009.png
What’s wrong with tin foil hats? Gotta protect ourselves from radiation somehow!
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

JayP wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:39 pm This thread has really gone nuts. Ritualistic killings of priests,huh? Lol
When any thread on any topic gets dominated by those wearing tin foil hats it is time to run.
i’m not sure anyone is looking forward to 2024. turmoil is expected.
i didn’t expect Jan 1 to be a wild day on MN. :wave:
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Falco Knotwise

Post by Falco Knotwise »

temporal1 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:55 pm
JayP wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:39 pm This thread has really gone nuts. Ritualistic killings of priests,huh? Lol
i’m not sure anyone is looking forward to 2024. turmoil is expected.
i didn’t expect Jan 1 to be a wild day on MN. :wave:
Just wait this week when the Jeffrey Epstein files come out.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Perhaps a good New Years Resolution is this year to stay out of this briar patch thread. Be real peacemakers.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit