briar patch

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Re: briar patch

Post by Robert »

Jesus is a part of the Godhead, because of an act of God, not an act of Mary. Mary is the biological mother of the human Jesus. God is the parent of the divine Christ. Mary died. God is eternal. Mary was faithful. God is graceful.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: Are Plain Catholics Anabaptists?

Post by ohio jones »

Valerie wrote:I didn't realize the Anabaptists do not consider Jesus God.
God the Father
God the Son
God the Holy Spirit-
I thought that was a pretty universal understanding among most Christians-
Valerie wrote:But to be clear, do Anabaptists say that "Jesus is God"? Or would that be wrong terminology for them. For instance if I asked you as an unbeliever, if Jesus is God? Is there a yes no answer to this? (from an Anabaptist understanding?)
Some might be more comfortable referring to Jesus as the Son of God (since that phrase is found repeatedly in scripture) than as God the Son (which is not in scripture). But in general the short answer is "yes" and the long answer is "what do you mean by that question?"
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

silentreader wrote:Is Jesus God? The best I can do is to say, yes He is, and no He isn't.
Jesus is not the Father, but He is unquestionably God. I do not recall any passage that says that Jesus is not God, or anything of the sort. On the contrary: "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." "Before Abraham was, I am."

(It does not follow that it is proper to refer to Mary as the mother of God. I believe it would be correct to say that she was the mother of His humanity, not of His divinity.)
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

PeterG wrote:
silentreader wrote:Is Jesus God? The best I can do is to say, yes He is, and no He isn't.
Jesus is not the Father, but He is unquestionably God. I do not recall any passage that says that Jesus is not God, or anything of the sort. On the contrary: "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." "Before Abraham was, I am."

(It does not follow that it is proper to refer to Mary as the mother of God. I believe it would be correct to say that she was the mother of His humanity, not of His divinity.)
I agree with this- I posted a link to all this in the "Mary" thread that Boot started that is in Ortodoxwiki that helped me understand WHY they called her that (it really had more to do with Jesus, than Mary, making sure people were clear that He is God-
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

ohio jones wrote:
God the Father
God the Son
God the Holy Spirit-
Valerie wrote:But to be clear, do Anabaptists say that "Jesus is God"? Or would that be wrong terminology for them. For instance if I asked you as an unbeliever, if Jesus is God? Is there a yes no answer to this? (from an Anabaptist understanding?)
Some might be more comfortable referring to Jesus as the Son of God (since that phrase is found repeatedly in scripture) than as God the Son (which is not in scripture). But in general the short answer is "yes" and the long answer is "what do you mean by that question?"
The reason I resist the "Mother of God" label is because people using it generally are saying that Mary has special status. Like one priest said, she has a back door to Christ, and as such can be a mediator. That is false doctrine. There is one mediator between God and man and that is Jesus. Not Mary. Jesus. I'm supposing that you could innocently use the label and it would technically be true, but I've never run into anyone who used it in that sense.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Someone asked a question about our take on the Sports Culture. I wanted to answer but we are so negative on the sports question that my internet filter blocks anything to do with sports. That should give you an idea on some plain Anabaptists view of the sports culture.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

lesterb wrote:
ohio jones wrote:
God the Father
God the Son
God the Holy Spirit-
The reason I resist the "Mother of God" label is because people using it generally are saying that Mary has special status. Like one priest said, she has a back door to Christ, and as such can be a mediator. That is false doctrine. There is one mediator between God and man and that is Jesus. Not Mary. Jesus. I'm supposing that you could innocently use the label and it would technically be true, but I've never run into anyone who used it in that sense.
I think that the difference is between the usage of the word 'mediator' and 'intercessor'. There are some differences in later history after the Church split in 1054 A.D. (Rome and the East) and some doctrines about Mary that the EO's don't exactly see the same way- but my understanding from explanations given to me, is that she is Jesus' mother and just like when she had influence over Him at the wedding of Cana, where He performed His first 'public' miracle- remember- Jesus said His time was 'not yet' however, Jesus listened to His mother's request, and performed His first miracle at her insistance- Jesus was about 30 at this time I believe? Anyways- it is part of the basis for the recognition of how much HE listened to her-and probably that had to do more for His love for her than anything else- especally considering the fact He went against His own 'timing' saying "my time is not yet" but obeyed the request anyways-
As the ancient Church sees the departed in the New Covenant Church as present at the throne, their understanding and teaching is that these departed saints are interceding for us, as we do for one another- it's not that she is 'mediator' between God and man, that is Jesus- but she can make requests/intercession there, just like she did on earth- like the wedding of Cana-
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Hats Off wrote:Someone asked a question about our take on the Sports Culture. I wanted to answer but we are so negative on the sports question that my internet filter blocks anything to do with sports. That should give you an idea on some plain Anabaptists view of the sports culture.
I’m interested in how I can use your filter...
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Hats Off wrote:Someone asked a question about our take on the Sports Culture. I wanted to answer but we are so negative on the sports question that my internet filter blocks anything to do with sports. That should give you an idea on some plain Anabaptists view of the sports culture.
.. that is helpful. i hope steve finds your comment here. but, in the briar patch? :?
(are you referring to this thread?) -
.. "sports culture"
http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=828

or, you can't read that particular thread? :?
i wondered why no CM responses. yet, anyway.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

not intending to be difficult. my thoughts on your thoughts - :)
Robert:
Jesus is a part of the Godhead, because of an act of God, not an act of Mary.
yes, sending Jesus to earth in human form was an act of God, as scriptures describe.
Robert:
Mary is the biological mother of the human Jesus.
not sure about "biological."
in scriptures, Mary is used as a special vessel, chosen by God, to bring His creation to life.
"biological" (to me) suggests DNA was mixed as it is with humans, but, where do we get this idea?
God creates all, but, Jesus was created specially.

God created Adam, not with a woman, not even as a vessel. God created Eve from Adam, but Adam is not Eve's biological parent (is he?) God has ways that we do not have, nor are we able to understand His ways in full.
Robert:
God is the parent of the divine Christ.
God is the creator of all things, He is the Father of all things; He is the creator of the divine and human Jesus. He did not "require" Mary to create Jesus in any form, but, He chose to use Mary as a special vessel for His purpose. Mary remained a virgin even after giving birth to Jesus.
Every part of Jesus Christ is A Miracle, of miracles.
Robert:
Mary died.
Mary died, but, through Jesus Christ, Son of God, she has eternal life.
we presume and pray.
Robert:
God is eternal. Mary was faithful. God is graceful.
Amen.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN