briar patch

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Re: Are Plain Catholics Anabaptists?

Post by silentreader »

silentreader wrote:
Sudsy wrote:
silentreader wrote: Do we agree that Jesus was pre-existent before He was born of Mary? Perhaps as (God) the Word as in John 1?
I agree.
Did Mary have anything to do with the existence of that pre-existent Christ?
Not that I can see.
Yes Jesus did take on human flesh to become man. But did He not also 'empty' Himself, (to what degree I don't know), as in Philippians 2:7, and in that process, did not Mary become the mother of Jesus in His human incarnation?
I like the way the Amplified puts it - Philippians 2:7

That's good. And then slightly different than "I and the Father are one", are Jesus' words in the Olivet Discourse,
Matthew 24:36English Standard Version (ESV)
No One Knows That Day and Hour
36 “But concerning that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only.
Another somewhat similar interesting statement by Jesus,
Matthew 20:23English Standard Version (ESV)
23 He said to them, “You will drink my cup, but to sit at my right hand and at my left is not mine to grant, but it is for those for whom it has been prepared by my Father.”
English Standard Version (ESV)
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Are Plain Catholics Anabaptists?

Post by temporal1 »

silentreader wrote: .. Another somewhat similar interesting statement by Jesus,
Matthew 20:23English Standard Version (ESV)
23 He said to them, “You will drink my cup, but to sit at my right hand and at my left is not mine to grant, but it is for those for whom it has been prepared by my Father.”
English Standard Version (ESV)
Jesus consistently, without fail, honors God, His Father.
Jesus states He is God, while never suggesting He is above, separate, or outside, God.
i accept this as part of the miracle that is God, that humans can glimpse, but not know in full.
what is the purpose of Jesus on earth? Jesus is the One Way; Jesus modeled on earth how we are to live out His commands.
He did not just say, "You do as I say." He modeled how to do it, in words and actions. to the extreme. that word, "humility."
The Greatest Commandment
…37 Jesus declared, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’

38 This is the first and greatest commandment.

39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’…
Not words alone. Words HE lived on earth.
Jesus is Lord, and, Jesus never failed to keep God, His Father, at center, in His unique perspective, as Son of God, and, Lord, too. Jesus is ever humble to His Father.

for me, it's spectacular.
when i read how Jesus (perfectly) honors His Father, as only He can, i marvel at it.

God is not represented in scriptures exactly like Jesus, neither is the Holy Spirit.
three parts of the one God.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: briar patch

Post by JimFoxvog »

temporal1 wrote: as to PeterG's post, the words, Son of Man, have stumped me.
i've not used them, because i know i do not "get" them. why is "Man" capitalized? but, it consistently is capitalized (in my limited reading.) similar with the rest of Peter's comment above.
"Son of Man" is usually seen as a title, so it is capitalized. A common interpretation is that it refers to Daniel's vision:
[bible]Daniel 7,13-14[/bible]
It is used because it was one of the most common ways Jesus referred to himself.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Whatever Jesus' source was for calling himself "The Son of Man", it seems pretty clear that the Jewish leaders understood it as a title referring to the Messiah of God, and to some extent, also as a claim to being "the Son of God", and therefore also to being deity. The charges of blasphemy they made against Jesus just do not make sense unless one understands the term in this way. (In my understanding & opinion)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

This thread has way too much serious content; y'all need to take it to the briarless patch if you insist on using plowshares.

Since the OP of the Becoming Conservative Mennonite thread has requested to stay on topic, I'll put this here:
steve-in-kville wrote:
Hats Off wrote: I will support this argument. When a 30ish bachelor comes, the parents of single girls watch closely. And apparently not only Mennonite parents do that. One such person who was raised Catholic but was baptized by Jehovah's Witness, Penetecostals, and Mennonites suggested that he experienced that everywhere. The pastors always watched him even though they baptized him. He is over fifty and still single.
One of those 17-ish girls was my sister-in-law!! It made for some tense moments.

So while we are defining the stereotype that all older bachelors are serial stalkers, what about older woman that never married?? Are they all gossips and busybodies?! I could prove this one in mennonite court if I had to! :D
All you ever need to know on the subject can be found in the Daily Bonnet:

The Most Effective Mennonite Pick-Up Lines

City to Replace Surveillance Cameras With Mennonite Ladies
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

ohio jones wrote:This thread has way too much serious content; y'all need to take it to the briarless patch if you insist on using plowshares.

Since the OP of the Becoming Conservative Mennonite thread has requested to stay on topic, I'll put this here:
steve-in-kville wrote:
Hats Off wrote: I will support this argument. When a 30ish bachelor comes, the parents of single girls watch closely. And apparently not only Mennonite parents do that. One such person who was raised Catholic but was baptized by Jehovah's Witness, Penetecostals, and Mennonites suggested that he experienced that everywhere. The pastors always watched him even though they baptized him. He is over fifty and still single.
One of those 17-ish girls was my sister-in-law!! It made for some tense moments.

So while we are defining the stereotype that all older bachelors are serial stalkers, what about older woman that never married?? Are they all gossips and busybodies?! I could prove this one in mennonite court if I had to! :D

Yes, that is no-till for sure.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Now, I had to re-read that one!
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Neto wrote:Whatever Jesus' source was for calling himself "The Son of Man", it seems pretty clear that the Jewish leaders understood it as a title referring to the Messiah of God, and to some extent, also as a claim to being "the Son of God", and therefore also to being deity. The charges of blasphemy they made against Jesus just do not make sense unless one understands the term in this way. (In my understanding & opinion)
The New Testament also refers to Adam being the “son of God” as well.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

JimFoxvog wrote:
temporal1 wrote: as to PeterG's post, the words, Son of Man, have stumped me.
i've not used them, because i know i do not "get" them. why is "Man" capitalized? but, it consistently is capitalized (in my limited reading.) similar with the rest of Peter's comment above.
"Son of Man" is usually seen as a title, so it is capitalized.
A common interpretation is that it refers to Daniel's vision:
[bible]Daniel 7,13-14[/bible]
It is used because it was one of the most common ways Jesus referred to himself.
Neto wrote:Whatever Jesus' source was for calling himself "The Son of Man", it seems pretty clear that the Jewish leaders understood it as a title referring to the Messiah of God, and to some extent, also as a claim to being "the Son of God", and therefore also to being deity.
The charges of blasphemy they made against Jesus just do not make sense unless one understands the term in this way. (In my understanding & opinion)
Josh wrote:
Neto wrote:Whatever Jesus' source was for calling himself "The Son of Man", it seems pretty clear that the Jewish leaders understood it as a title referring to the Messiah of God, and to some extent, also as a claim to being "the Son of God", and therefore also to being deity.
The charges of blasphemy they made against Jesus just do not make sense unless one understands the term in this way. (In my understanding & opinion)
The New Testament also refers to Adam being the “son of God” as well.
these are helpful for me.
knowing how my brain does+doesn't work, i will have to study+pray on this before i become at all comfortable .. i'm not sure why this phrase, in particular, draws such a blank in my mind.
learning about how it was used in those times is likely key, along with Jesus' first-person use.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

ohio jones wrote:This thread has way too much serious content; y'all need to take it to the briarless patch if you insist on using plowshares.

steve-in-kville wrote:

what did you rob? .. which page? :?
now you've for-sure trailed off the Mary topic in the bp. :P

maybe you'll land in bunny trails next. :mrgreen:
0 x

UNKNOWN