briar patch

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
eccentric_rambler
Affiliation: NMB->Ultra

Re: Baptism in the Catholic Church

Post by eccentric_rambler »

Falco Knotwise wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:25 am Well, if Robert wants to ban me because of my Catholicism he’s more than welcome to, I wouldn’t even be offended. But if not, people here had better learn to respect me whether they like it or not. :D

I will not tolerate open antiCatholic bigotry directed at me, and I will call anyone out for it out when I see it. The right to be an antiCatholic bigot because of one’s religious beliefs is a pathetic argument in this day and age.

I think I do try and will continue to try to respect your beliefs without bigotry as well.
I went back and reread the last several pages, and starting with JM's response to Josh re: going to a Catholic forum I entered your and his responses in two separate text documents side by side.

While JM has made his position toward the large C Catholic church quite clear I see nowhere that he has attacked you or engaged in any sort of bigotry toward you. His denial to show respect to your church is not bigotry toward you. Your ad hominem attacks toward him are another matter. Perhaps you should reread your posts and consider whether they display a heart of peace and joy. James 3:4-12
1 x
Falco Knotwise
Affiliation: Roman Catholic

Post by Falco Knotwise »

eccentric_rambler wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:19 pm
Falco Knotwise wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:25 am Well, if Robert wants to ban me because of my Catholicism he’s more than welcome to, I wouldn’t even be offended. But if not, people here had better learn to respect me whether they like it or not. :D

I will not tolerate open antiCatholic bigotry directed at me, and I will call anyone out for it out when I see it. The right to be an antiCatholic bigot because of one’s religious beliefs is a pathetic argument in this day and age.

I think I do try and will continue to try to respect your beliefs without bigotry as well.
I went back and reread the last several pages, and starting with JM's response to Josh re: going to a Catholic forum I entered your and his responses in two separate text documents side by side.

While JM has made his position toward the large C Catholic church quite clear I see nowhere that he has attacked you or engaged in any sort of bigotry toward you. His denial to show respect to your church is not bigotry toward you. Your ad hominem attacks toward him are another matter. Perhaps you should reread your posts and consider whether they display a heart of peace and joy. James 3:4-12
Really? Just one example:

His constant “You want respect?” remarks for example, was very disrespectful, and arrogant. That was addressed to me, personally, ad hominem, implying that I didn’t have it, and that I wouldn’t get it till certain conditions are met. It was arrogant and condescending.

Respect is owed to your dialogue opponents whether you like it or not.

Don’t Mennonites believe in that? I’m pretty sure personal respect for others is in the rules of this forum even though no one came to my defense here.
Last edited by Falco Knotwise on Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

OP, P.1 / “Baptism in the Catholic Church” / Soloist / General Theology
Soloist wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:21 am So the Vatican came out saying transgenders could now be baptized, from a theological view, does this mean that the Catholic Church doesn’t care if repentance is done?

It certainly seems like there is some careful language in the official statement which implies if they are not repentant,
then it’s not a real baptism.
https://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/cong ... -negri.pdf
Mennonet.com / “A place where Mennonites and others connect.”
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
eccentric_rambler
Affiliation: NMB->Ultra

Post by eccentric_rambler »

Respect seems quite important to you, Falco, you have used the word multiple times in this thread. I think an honest rereading of JM's post (the only place I think it is possible to (mis)interpret his words as an ad hominem attack) shows that he refused respect to the organization you were demanding respect for, not to you. Please do read from James and consider the passage in light of your comments in this thread.
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:03 pm You expect respect for the Church of Rome? I might consider it when the institution is repentant of all that it has done to us and others, and seeks to make right its sins against us. The first step would to give us back the documents that were stolen from us, that almost certainly reside in the Vatican library.

Until that happens, I feel free to consider the Church of Rome an unrepentant sinner. Not to mention what the institution did to several of my friends, it is all covered in the Maryland Attorney General's report. So what does the Church of Rome do? Declares bankruptcy so it does NOT have to pay the legal claims it certainly owes.

You want respect? The institution has none.
Off to get some work done now. I have not the luxury of spending the rest of the day here.
1 x
Falco Knotwise

Post by Falco Knotwise »

eccentric_rambler wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:44 pm Respect seems quite important to you, Falco, you have used the word multiple times in this thread. I think an honest rereading of JM's post (the only place I think it is possible to (mis)interpret his words as an ad hominem attack) shows that he refused respect to the organization you were demanding respect for, not to you. Please do read from James and consider the passage in light of your comments in this thread.
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:03 pm You expect respect for the Church of Rome? I might consider it when the institution is repentant of all that it has done to us and others, and seeks to make right its sins against us. The first step would to give us back the documents that were stolen from us, that almost certainly reside in the Vatican library.

Until that happens, I feel free to consider the Church of Rome an unrepentant sinner. Not to mention what the institution did to several of my friends, it is all covered in the Maryland Attorney General's report. So what does the Church of Rome do? Declares bankruptcy so it does NOT have to pay the legal claims it certainly owes.

Off to get some work done now. I have not the luxury of spending the rest of the day here.
How are your reading comprehension skills? “You want respect? Is directed at me, ad hominem, followed by sophistic deflection.

If you want to make respect for me a topic of your conversation you had better make sure you make it crystal clear you have it, because I will not appreciate any equivocations.

Plus, I never asked JM to respect the Church of Rome. I couldn’t care less whether he does one way or the other. That’s his business. But how he expresses that disrespect for the Church of Rome to me IS my business. I don’t excuse anyone unloading their vindictive hatreds of any institution towards to me, regardless of what it is they hate. He was acting like an arrogant fool, and I let him know it.

That goes for every last one of you on this forum.

Also, even if you or anyone on this forum hates the Catholic Church, open hatred and disrespect is not what Menno Simons taught. He always insisted it was out of love that he separated from Rome.

1 John 2:11 applies even to Mennonites who think of themselves as good Christians . . .
Whoever hates his brother is in the darkness and walks around in the darkness; he does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded him.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Falco Knotwise wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:02 pm
eccentric_rambler wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:44 pm Respect seems quite important to you, Falco, you have used the word multiple times in this thread. I think an honest rereading of JM's post (the only place I think it is possible to (mis)interpret his words as an ad hominem attack) shows that he refused respect to the organization you were demanding respect for, not to you. Please do read from James and consider the passage in light of your comments in this thread.

How are your reading comprehension skills? “You want respect? Is directed at me, ad hominem, followed by sophistic deflection.

If you want to make respect for me a topic of your conversation you had better make sure you make it crystal clear you have it, because I will not appreciate any equivocations.

Plus, I never asked JM to respect the Church of Rome. I couldn’t care less whether he does one way or the other. That’s his business. But how he expresses that disrespect for the Church of Rome to me IS my business. I don’t excuse anyone unloading their vindictive hatreds of any institution towards to me, regardless of what it is they hate. He was acting like an arrogant fool, and I let him know it.

Also, even if you or anyone on this forum hates the Catholic Church, open hatred and disrespect is not what Menno Simons taught. He always insisted it was out of love that he separated from Rome.

1 John 2:11 applies even to Mennonites who think of themselves as good Christians . . .
Whoever hates his brother is in the darkness and walks around in the darkness; he does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded him.
When I first read that post, I assumed that JM was referring to the Church of Rome, of which you are a part. I didn’t read it as a personal attack on you. But maybe he did mean you personally, I don’t know. My take matches what eccentric_rambler said.
0 x
Falco Knotwise

Post by Falco Knotwise »

RZehr wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:46 pm
Falco Knotwise wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:02 pm

When I first read that post, I assumed that JM was referring to the Church of Rome, of which you are a part. I didn’t read it as a personal attack on you. But maybe he did mean you personally, I don’t know. My take matches what eccentric_rambler said.
It isn’t even just that, nor was that even the only time. It was that plus the whole thing of dumping his vindictive emotions towards the Catholic Church on me. Imo, too many people here (not a whole lot) think they have a special entitlement to hatred because of a history of persecution.

That is not what Jesus taught. That’s what revolutionaries teach.
0 x
Falco Knotwise

Post by Falco Knotwise »

First, this is not the only thread he and I have had conversations, so there’s a history there. I tried to avoid him because I always found his conversations toxic. What started it this time was a comment he made to Josh about me that I should go to another forum for questions instead of a forum of people that Catholics burnt at the stake 500 years ago.

I had been trying to avoid him and he’s following me around making snide remarks like that “behind my back” right in front me, with his usual vindictive venom!

I openly complained about it to mods and got no response.

Far from “demanding respect” for the Catholic Church from him I was trying to avoid him but he was following me around just to throw his hatred for it into my face.

I’d call that harassment.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

JM does indeed have a very negative view of the RCC. However, I think that provides helpful balance to this forum and is a viewpoint that needs to be respected.

Over the years, MD and MennoNet have tended to be infested (if I’m allowed to use that term) with promoters of the apostolic branches, that is, Eastern Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism. Whilst such viewpoints are allowed here, they should not expect this to be a place where the RCC or EOism is immune from criticism.

I myself am very tolerant of Roman Catholicism. However, it is a fundamentally different faith than plain Anabaptism, and at some point that must be said, out in the open. The confessions I hold to claim that infant baptism is the chiefesr abomination of the pope.
0 x
Falco Knotwise

Post by Falco Knotwise »

Josh wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:21 pm JM does indeed have a very negative view of the RCC. However, I think that provides helpful balance to this forum and is a viewpoint that needs to be respected.

Over the years, MD and MennoNet have tended to be infested (if I’m allowed to use that term) with promoters of the apostolic branches, that is, Eastern Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism. Whilst such viewpoints are allowed here, they should not expect this to be a place where the RCC or EOism is immune from criticism.
Criticism and venomous poison are two different things. No, I’m sure no one will complain about your use of the word “infested” so long as it’s in reference to us “apostolics”

I’ve been here 4 years. When was the last “infestation” of apostolics? I’ve seen quite a few apostolics come through here, all very polite.

I myself am very tolerant of Roman Catholicism. However, it is a fundamentally different faith than plain Anabaptism, and at some point that must be said, out in the open. The confessions I hold to claim that infant baptism is the chiefesr abomination of the pope.
That’s fine if you feel that way and it’s fine if you say it that way. If Judas Maccabaeus had the skills to say it that way, instead of going off the deep end, we wouldn’t be having this problem. He needs to learn some serious people skills.

Also, there was no excuse for his following me around the forum just to make snide remarks to others about me, and frankly I didn’t much care that you participated in it, Josh.
0 x