briar patch

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Falco Knotwise
Affiliation: Roman Catholic

Re: Baptism in the Catholic Church

Post by Falco Knotwise »

Soloist wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:43 pm Try sharing Anabaptist doctrines on a Catholic forum. See how far that would go. Most people here are very tolerant of Catholic heresy but we believe it to be heresy without apology.
Catholic heresy is far from the only heresy promoted here though and generally we don’t have Catholic doctrine shoved into multiple Anabaptist conversations. Orthodox doctrines, Pentecostal doctrines and on.
My guess is if you go on a Catholic forum screeching about the Whore of Babylon and get off on a Judas Maccabaeus rampage you might get some pushback. I dont think you’d get such hate just for trying to discuss doctrines. I think we can discuss doctrinal differences between us without going ballistic.

If I use Catholic sources to argue Biblical viewpoints its because I think they’re the best arguments. (I do read nonCatholic sources as well.) I expect a person either to argue against them logically if they can or not, but I don’t expect “shut up dumb Catholic.”

Btw, I appreciate your sincerity here, Soloist.
Last edited by Falco Knotwise on Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Soloist wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:43 pm Try sharing Anabaptist doctrines on a Catholic forum. See how far that would go. Most people here are very tolerant of Catholic heresy but we believe it to be heresy without apology.
Catholic heresy is far from the only heresy promoted here though and generally we don’t have Catholic doctrine shoved into multiple Anabaptist conversations. Orthodox doctrines, Pentecostal doctrines and on.
Just within the Anabaptist spectrum from Nebraska Amish to MCUSA there is enough diversity of belief and difference in doctrine to find plenty of heresy to go around. One doesn't even have to leave the Anabaptist fold to find it in spades regardless of what your starting point is.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Falco Knotwise wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:56 pm
My guess is if you go on a Catholic forum screeching about the Whore of Babylon and get off on a Judas Maccabaeus rampage you might get some pushback. I dont think you’d get such hate just for trying to discuss doctrines. I think we can discuss doctrinal differences between us without going ballistic.

If I use Catholic sources to argue Biblical viewpoints its because I think they’re the best arguments. (I do read nonCatholic sources as well.) I expect a person either to argue against them logically if they can or not, but I don’t expect “shut up dumb Catholic.”

I was banned trying to ask questions when they found out I was Anabaptist.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Soloist wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:02 am

I had a similar experience on Islamic sites. Minute I asked who Jesus’s father was, you are gone.
0 x
:hug:
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:05 am

I had a similar experience on Islamic sites. Minute I asked who Jesus’s father was, you are gone.
Well I was asking some questions related to when some traditions were first recorded as practiced. I don’t remember specifics but it wasn’t actually a challenge to any specific Catholic teaching unless you take historical inquiries as a challenge.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Soloist wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:13 am
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:05 am

Well I was asking some questions related to when some traditions were first recorded as practiced. I don’t remember specifics but it wasn’t actually a challenge to any specific Catholic teaching unless you take historical inquiries as a challenge.
In a similar vein, the Quran proclaims that Jesus was born of a virgin. This I affirm as well.
All living beings must have a father. So who is Jesus’s father?

That is apparently explosive, and if you ask that, it appears they will disappear both you and the question.
0 x
:hug:
Falco Knotwise

Post by Falco Knotwise »

Well, if Robert wants to ban me because of my Catholicism he’s more than welcome to, I wouldn’t even be offended. But if not, people here had better learn to respect me whether they like it or not. :D

I will not tolerate open antiCatholic bigotry directed at me, and I will call anyone out for it out when I see it. The right to be an antiCatholic bigot because of one’s religious beliefs is a pathetic argument in this day and age.

I think I do try and will continue to try to respect your beliefs without bigotry as well.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Falco Knotwise wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:25 am

Well, if Robert wants to ban me because of my Catholicism he’s more than welcome to, I wouldn’t even be offended. But if not, people here had better learn to respect me whether they like it or not. :D

I will not tolerate open antiCatholic bigotry directed at me, and I will call anyone out for it out when I see it. The right to be an antiCatholic bigot because of one’s religious beliefs is a pathetic argument in this day and age.

I think I do try and will continue to try to respect your beliefs without bigotry as well.
Maybe you do try but if you read over the last dozen or so of your posts on this thread it becomes pretty obvious that you don't respect JM or his beliefs.
0 x
Falco Knotwise

Post by Falco Knotwise »

ken_sylvania wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:00 pm
Falco Knotwise wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:25 am

Maybe you do try but if you read over the last dozen or so of your posts on this thread it becomes pretty obvious that you don't respect JM or his beliefs.
I don’t respect arrogance or bigotry from anyone regardless of beliefs.
0 x
Falco Knotwise

Post by Falco Knotwise »

ken_sylvania wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:00 pm Maybe you do try but if you read over the last dozen or so of your posts on this thread it becomes pretty obvious that you don't respect JM or his beliefs.
Besides, if you can read his posts to me and still think he showed any kind of respect for my beliefs whatsoever then I’d like to know what you’ve been smoking? :wave:
0 x