Blogs

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Blogs

Post by MaxPC »

appleman2006 wrote:
lesterb wrote: Two elderly men meet. Both fought in the Korean war, but on opposite sides. Both were present in the same battle, probably shooting at each other. Both became Christians eventually.

One is dead, but I know several of his daughters. The other is still living.
Great story and one that I think would make many people think.
I agree. What about a collection of short stories? Jesus used parables which are really really short stories, nevertheless they make for a good lesson coated in honey.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

MaxPC wrote:
appleman2006 wrote:
lesterb wrote: Two elderly men meet. Both fought in the Korean war, but on opposite sides. Both were present in the same battle, probably shooting at each other. Both became Christians eventually.

One is dead, but I know several of his daughters. The other is still living.
Great story and one that I think would make many people think.
I agree. What about a collection of short stories? Jesus used parables which are really really short stories, nevertheless they make for a good lesson coated in honey.
Yes, and interspersed with essays. [Maybe a modern day Montaigne?] :-|
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

lesterb wrote:
MaxPC wrote:
Yes, and interspersed with essays. [Maybe a modern day Montaigne?] :-|
Exactly, especially Montaigne's more didactic essays. You read my mind so to speak. :lol:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
lesterb

Post by lesterb »

This is part of a video blog that might interest some of you.
[video][/video]
0 x
lesterb

Post by lesterb »

I updated my website with a new theme. I tend to get tired of things a bit faster than some people. :-|

Anyhow, drop by if you care to. You can click here.
0 x
lesterb

Post by lesterb »

Check out this announcement on my blog.
0 x
lesterb

Post by lesterb »

Would you read a book that started like this? Is there a place for introspective writing in today's world?

Let’s Talk About Me!
I was pretty obnoxious when I was young. At least that’s how it seems to me when I think back over the years. I thought I was pretty big and smart, when really I was one of those youngsters who embarrass their parents and their friends at every turn.

It makes me shudder when I think back.

Of course, if you know me at all, you know that I’m not at all like that any more. So I’m going to tell you how it came about that I’m so different now than I was.

I should warn you that I’m using some satire, mixed with a dash of hyperbole, and maybe some sarcasm and irony throughout this book. So don’t take me too seriously. But I do have a plot and a conflict and a moral and all that good stuff. So bear with me while I get there.

Like I said in my introduction, I was pretty obnoxious when I was a kid. But let me tell you a little more about my background before I get into that. My parents were Old Order Mennonite when I was born. We drove a horse and buggy and went to a church where everyone else drove a horse and buggy as well. My father owned a secluded farm (I think it was landlocked) and we were around a mile from the closest road. I’ve got a few memories from those days, which I’ll get to eventually.

I felt pretty secure in my little world those days. But things didn’t stay that way very long.

My parents were poor. They also struggled with health problems. This wasn’t a good combination in the days before health care, and Employment Insurance. I’m not sure how much of this I caught at the time, but this was what shook up my world the first time.

My father didn’t know this, but he had an auto-immune disease called ankylosing spondylitis caused by the HLA-B27 genotype. No one had really figured that out back then, but we just called his condition arthritus. It was bad enough that we lost our farm and had to move to a rental house.

My second shakeup came soon after this. I started school. That’s upheavel enough for most children, but I didn’t know much English. We spoke a German dialect at home called Pennsylvania Dutch. It isn’t Dutch, and it didn’t originate in Pennsylvania—it came from the Swiss Palatinate—but that was my first language. My parents tried to teach me English, but the real pressure started when I got to school. It was bad enough that some times my teacher had to hire a second grade girl who knew the language to tell me what was going on.

As usually happens in such situations, I got teased and picked on by my elite classmates. School was pretty miserable for a while, but it did do one thing for me—I learned English very quickly. Or I guess I did. We moved again about for or five months after I started school, and I don’t remember having a language problem at all at the next school.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

I would read it - I remember well that loooong lane way back into the sand hills. I never thought I was big and smart but I think I also got teased because I came from a poor family. I didn't need help with English in grade one - in fact I was the one who got called on to help those who couldn't speak English.

That introduction surely isn't from your Ecclesiastes book? If it is I may need to read it anyhow.
0 x
lesterb

Post by lesterb »

Hats Off wrote:I would read it - I remember well that loooong lane way back into the sand hills. I never thought I was big and smart but I think I also got teased because I came from a poor family. I didn't need help with English in grade one - in fact I was the one who got called on to help those who couldn't speak English.

That introduction surely isn't from your Ecclesiastes book? If it is I may need to read it anyhow.
No this is something else I've got up my sleeve. It's already into plan B, I think. I'm not sure I could handle writing a whole book in satire.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

lesterb wrote:
Hats Off wrote:I would read it - I remember well that loooong lane way back into the sand hills. I never thought I was big and smart but I think I also got teased because I came from a poor family. I didn't need help with English in grade one - in fact I was the one who got called on to help those who couldn't speak English.

No this is something else I've got up my sleeve. It's already into plan B, I think. I'm not sure I could handle writing a whole book in satire.
That's good. A whole book written in satire would appeal to me about as much as a whole meal of jalapeno peppers. :D
0 x