What Do You Regret Is Gone From MD?

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Re: What Do You Regret Is Gone From MD?

Post by lesterb »

Robert wrote:
lesterb wrote:Did nobody keep a complete backup of the data on MennoDiscuss??? :shock:

LB
I backed it up once, but could only back it up on the existing server. Since all was lost, the backup was lost too.
How much information does http://www.archive.orgback up? When I looked at it, it had something 173 snapshots from Mennondiscuss.
0 x
lesterb

Post by lesterb »

Has anyone successfully added an avatar? To get below 6 kb you have to make a jpg so small that you can't even see who it is.

Also, could we have the rimg function back? I always used that rather than Img. Img has never worked for me.
0 x
lesterb

Post by lesterb »

So, I managed to get a grey scale copy squeezed down far enough to get in, but it's pretty ugly... :yawn:

You trying to save space, Robert?
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

lesterb wrote:Has anyone successfully added an avatar? To get below 6 kb you have to make a jpg so small that you can't even see who it is.

Also, could we have the rimg function back? I always used that rather than Img. Img has never worked for me.
Good question...
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

gcdonner wrote:
Temporal1 wrote:My dear great-grandmother-in-law used to recite, "A move is as good as a fire."
This loss reminds me of losing a special library, as-if burned to the ground.

By the time i arrived on MD's doorstep, i'd had to adjust to many of life's losses, some awfully hard.
thus, my username. :)

Scriptures are literal about this temporal world. And where our treasures need to be.

MD made it to 11 years! 8-)
so many memories. what a privilege it was.
I wonder how many friends we have lost in this "fire", who may never find us again, because we have changed our name?
thing is, a good part of MD was always the read-only members, who did not rely on MD for contact, anyway. (i believe) their "footsteps" were present in numbers of views ..

for example, already on MN, one topic has 184 views!
Church Leadership: Term Limits
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8

some individual members receive numbers of views, whenever they post.
in general, again, as it appears to me.
so, word does get around.

even when a thread receives few replies, sometimes they receive lots of views! sometimes thousands. i believe that's an indicator of interest. not that all views are by members. i don't believe they are.

some families have one posting member, others read-only, some very regularly!

hopefully, the auto-redirect will be activated soon.

i have some email addresses i rarely use, do not want to be a nuisance. :-|
i've thought of sending a brief message with a link .. to let them know, and, it would be great to get an update from some of those who have not been active for awhile. likely some of those addresses are no longer active (?) .. but, for the ones that get through, those folks could share with ones they know ..

MD was always more than its face value, as much as its face value grew to be!
that was always an important part of its "allure" (to me.)

the page has turned.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

I was hoping to use the content of some of my writing in future writing. I also benefited from a lot of the critique and push back and now I won't be able to recall a lot of the critique and push back.
There are a lot of people who read the old threads and learned a lot about the Anabaptist world. That resource is no longer available.
One good thing is that the new forum may provide a more accurate picture of Anabaptism if the mods work hard at keeping the forum clean and free from the filth that was on MD.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
ShantyShaker
Affiliation: BMA

Post by ShantyShaker »

One thing I wish I had and maybe some one has a copy, and that is Sully's write-up of how he saw worship in today's Church.
1 x
Former user name: C&MJ
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

ShantyShaker wrote:One thing I wish I had and maybe some one has a copy, and that is Sully's write-up of how he saw worship in today's Church.
that should be do-able, if i think really hard, i might be able to come up with it; likely, someone has it readily available (?)

it would be nice to have the entire thread to review that led up to him writing+sharing. it was an interesting path, reading about him getting there.

possibly, Robert will have a category for such documents? i believe it was discussed.

i miss Diamonds.
but, the path of "missing" would turn into a very long list.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

lesterb wrote:Has anyone successfully added an avatar? To get below 6 kb you have to make a jpg so small that you can't even see who it is.

I had bumped up the dimensions and file size. Not sure why it is not fitting better. Will bump them up again.

I made another adjustment and any picture posted now should be reduced if oversized. If that does not work, I will re add the rimg command.

Addendum: I had bumped up the avatar size on the first install that I had to wipe. I forgot increase it and now I have. 150 px dimensions and 15000 kb max size. Should be plenty of space. Let me know if that is not working.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

temporal1 wrote: possibly, Robert will have a category for such documents? i believe it was discussed.
I plan to do that on the main website, but can easily build a link section here too.
1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.