Passive-Aggressive: How can you tell?

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Re: Passive-Aggressive: How can you tell?

Post by KingdomBuilder »

lesterb wrote:
temporal1 wrote:the way i understand KB's intent is that he was using PA "hallmarks," language+icons, to bring a bit of levity to the discussion. i may have misunderstood. he knows his intent. i was guessing.
I can't speak for KB, but that sure wasn't how I understood his post. The smiley's at the end of his post were simply illustrating the ones that people use to try to disguise their purpose.

You know...

"I'm going to tell him what I think." Then add a :hug: to hide behind. And if someone calls me out, I have no idea what they are talking about. I guess that's the "christian" way of being nasty. It happens in church life all the time - people say what they think, then claim everyone misunderstood them.
Lester is correct; no levity meant
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

KingdomBuilder wrote:Lester is correct; no levity meant
thank you, KB.
i am trying to get to know you on MN. i value your posts.
it takes time. it always takes time, even in real life, even in church settings.

i sometimes think of Country Boy's personal story of how he and his beloved wife got off to an awkward, uncomfortable start, then, after getting to know one another, "all that" was put to the side. his account was especially charming, but, i believe, "awkward" happens quite a lot.

CB hasn't been posting much for awhile, he has a business and growing family. i miss his presence.
not sure if he remains as a moderator? some mods can be very quiet. then they pop in to revisit. :D
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Sunbeam
Affiliation:

Post by Sunbeam »

I see passive aggressiveness on-line as being covert snark or sarcasm, often referring to someone or a group of people instead of being directly addressed. But not always.
Used at times to deliver a barb without becoming a target. Or if the deliverer of the barb is called out, it was nebulous enough that he can pop up with an innocent face and say, "Who? Me??"

To balance that analysis, I also believe that some people are wont to cry "Passive-aggressive!!" where none at all exists.

Both passive aggressiveness and calling people passive aggressive, exists the most where charity is thinnest.

Let it go. If someone is being covertly ugly, move on. Do not get caught up in the drama of name calling or whining about being treated poorly. It is small. Do not be small.
Last edited by Sunbeam on Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Sunbeam wrote:Let it go. If someone is being covertly ugly, move on. Do not get caught up in the drama of name calling or whining about being treated poorly. It is small. Do not be small.
Well said.

Talk about the subject, not about the other people. If you don't want drama, don't do drama. If you don't like whining, don't whine. If you don't like lies, check facts carefully, and welcome fact checking from others.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?