Evolution

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.

Do you believe in evolution

Total votes: 0

Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Re: Evolution

Post by Valerie »

AnthonyMartin wrote:I haven't read all the way through this thread so if this question has already been discussed I apologize.

What does dogmatic adherence to 6-day creation add to the good news of the Kingdom?
That you can trust the Word of God? As soon as we start doubting it, well.....
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

appleman2006 wrote:
Valerie wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:
I don't think we have to justify ourselves to the world at all. Many things we believe will be nonsense to people who do not know God.

I know who created the earth, I don't know how, and I'm really not sure how literally to read Genesis 1 for reasons I have mentioned earlier. Evolution is not really an issue that I have a strong position on either way. In general, I find it more useful to focus on other things.

Which may be my cue to drop out of this thread so I can do that ;->
The subject comes up all around us. It can be an open door of opportunity to share more
although if shared improperly can be a great way to slam doors shut.
Agreed- there's lots of ways to do this propetly- we also have to keep in mind most people walked away from Christ & His truth at the time. For they loved darkness more than light. And various other reasons many walked away from Him
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

AnthonyMartin wrote:I haven't read all the way through this thread so if this question has already been discussed I apologize.

What does dogmatic adherence to 6-day creation add to the good news of the Kingdom?
What does it detract? Did the good news of the Kingdom spread more widely and successfully before, or after, the theory of evolution took root? Is the Gospel more receptive in societies that believe in evolution, or in societies that believe creation was created by God? Lets be honest, belief in evolution does not help bring people to Christ, contrary to what people want to think. For many Christians it is simply a fear of ridicule that makes them entertain evolution. I'm not saying this is the case with all evolution believing Christians, but many.
Maybe your answer is found in the last 20 pages. But what an approach to scripture! I'm not sure that is a good approach at all, I mean, What does dogmatic adherence to the story of Jonah, or Noah, and on and on we could go, add to the good news of the Kingdom? Or conversely, what does dogmatic adherence to evolution add?
Last edited by RZehr on Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
AnthonyMartin
Affiliation: LMC

Post by AnthonyMartin »

Valerie wrote:

That you can trust the Word of God? As soon as we start doubting it, well.....
I would not see being less than a confident adherent to 6-day creation doubting the Word of God. I believe in a six day creation, but I do not see the value in a dogmatic adherence to the literal six.

I do not understand what it adds to, or takes away from, the Gospel of the Kingdom and from the message of Jesus Christ, the Word of God.
0 x
AnthonyMartin
Affiliation: LMC

Post by AnthonyMartin »

RZehr wrote:

What does it detract? Did the good news of the Kingdom spread more widely and successfully before, or after, the theory of evolution took root? Is the Gospel more receptive in societies that believe in evolution, or in societies that believe creation was created by God? Lets be honest, belief in evolution does not help bring people to Christ, contrary to what people want to think. For many Christians it is simply a fear of ridicule that makes them entertain evolution. I'm not saying this is the case with all evolution believing Christians, but many.
Maybe your answer is found in the last 20 pages. But what an approach to scripture! I'm not sure that is a good approach at all, I mean, What does dogmatic adherence to the story of Jonah, or Noah, and on and on we could go, add to the good news of the Kingdom? Or conversely, what does dogmatic adherence to evolution add?
I certainly don't suggest that evolution is good for the Kingdom. To me, that argument with an evolutionist is about as valuable as arguing polygamy is wrong and disastrous to a Muslim who is not acquainted with Jesus Christ.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Come to think of it, I've had conversation about polygamy with some Muslims that don't know Jesus. I agree with you on that.
I think there will be a place to discuss evolution/creation with an atheist, depending on relationship and conversation flow. I wouldn't pick that subject as an initial evangelistic topic. :)
0 x
QuietObserver
Affiliation:

Post by QuietObserver »

RZehr wrote:For many Christians it is simply a fear of ridicule that makes them entertain evolution. I'm not saying this is the case with all evolution believing Christians, but many.
I think it’s more of a case that they can’t intellectually hold to a 6 day creation 6,000 years ago. Answers in Genesis apologetics don’t hold up very well when you examine them closely.

I think there’s a wide space between atheistic evolution and Young Earth Creationism. I don’t like the idea of forcing people in either camp. Life evolving from nothing is pretty unbelievable. I think poking holes in atheistic evolution is sufficient.
0 x