Evolution

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.

Do you believe in evolution

Total votes: 0

Franklin
Affiliation: Old Testament

Re: Evolution

Post by Franklin »

Valerie wrote:It's curious to me why you would endorse reading the New Testament- wouldn't you see it as a book full of lies?
A lie is something said that the speaker knows is false. I have no reason to believe that this happened in the New Testament. I agree with much of the New Testament but I also disagree with some of it. I don't view disagreeing with some of a book as meaning that the book is bad.

But even bad books can be worth reading. If someone asked me what to read to understand the causes of World War Two, I would tell them to read "Mein Kampf" by Hitler. I disagree with most of this book but I would endorse reading it to gain understanding.

I personally follow the Old Testament but I do not think this is the best religion for most people. Most people should be Muslim or Christian because these are easier religions to understand.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Valerie wrote:Christians do not take issue with being considered narrow minded. It is said in Scripture, that Jesus and the Apostles claimed we would be, and also seen as fools in " the world's " eyes. We were taught to contend for the faith once for all delivered to the saints. The enemy of our soul wants to lead people away from truth.
I agree.

But this is about the Gospel and the cross, not about evolution. For instance:
For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but it is the power of God to us who are being saved. For it is written,
I will destroy the wisdom of the wise,
and I will set aside the intelligence of the intelligent.
Where is the one who is wise? Where is the teacher of the law? Where is the debater of this age? Hasn’t God made the world’s wisdom foolish? For since, in God’s wisdom, the world did not know God through wisdom, God was pleased to save those who believe through the foolishness of what is preached. For the Jews ask for signs and the Greeks seek wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to the Jews and foolishness to the Gentiles. Yet to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ is the power of God and the wisdom of God, because God’s foolishness is wiser than human wisdom, and God’s weakness is stronger than human strength.
I think that calls us to proclaim Jesus, not to establish institutes of creation science.

My fear is that we get distracted by trying to prove all kinds of things that are not discussed in the New Testament and were not part of what Jesus preached. Or that we insist on our own worldly wisdom, promoting creation science as though it disproved mainstream science, and looking foolish in the process - for the wrong reasons.

By all means, let us contend for the faith, for the cross, for the Gospel. And let's keep the focus where it belongs, on Jesus.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Fidelio
Affiliation: ACCA Friend

Post by Fidelio »

Valerie wrote: Christians do not take issue with being considered narrow minded. It is said in Scripture, that Jesus and the Apostles claimed we would be, and also seen as fools in " the world's " eyes. We were taught to contend for the faith once for all delivered to the saints. The enemy of our soul wants to lead people away from truth.

It's curious to me why you would endorse reading the New Testament- wouldn't you see it as a book full of lies?
It also puzzles me why someone who is not a Christian would want to come here and engage in vigorous debate for evolution.

But I ask all who believe evolution is true, do you think that God is just kidding or using a made-up story of creation to justify setting apart the sabbath day?

For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it. Exodus 20:11

Clearly, all things were made in six days and that excludes long ages of evolution.
0 x
Convert to Anabaptist truth early 2019; now associated (friend) with the Apostolic Christian Church of America.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Fidelio wrote:
Valerie wrote: Christians do not take issue with being considered narrow minded. It is said in Scripture, that Jesus and the Apostles claimed we would be, and also seen as fools in " the world's " eyes. We were taught to contend for the faith once for all delivered to the saints. The enemy of our soul wants to lead people away from truth.

It's curious to me why you would endorse reading the New Testament- wouldn't you see it as a book full of lies?
It also puzzles me why someone who is not a Christian would want to come here and engage in vigorous debate for evolution.

But I ask all who believe evolution is true, do you think that God is just kidding or using a made-up story of creation to justify setting apart the sabbath day?

For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it. Exodus 20:11

Clearly, all things were made in six days and that excludes long ages of evolution.
:clap:
Christians didn’t seem to think Genesis 1 was at all allegorical or poetic for centuries until they decided it had to fit inside the theory of evolution.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Franklin wrote:
Valerie wrote:It's curious to me why you would endorse reading the New Testament- wouldn't you see it as a book full of lies?
A lie is something said that the speaker knows is false. I have no reason to believe that this happened in the New Testament. I agree with much of the New Testament but I also disagree with some of it. I don't view disagreeing with some of a book as meaning that the book is bad.

But even bad books can be worth reading. If someone asked me what to read to understand the causes of World War Two, I would tell them to read "Mein Kampf" by Hitler. I disagree with most of this book but I would endorse reading it to gain understanding.

I personally follow the Old Testament but I do not think this is the best religion for most people. Most people should be Muslim or Christian because these are easier religions to understand.
The entire New Testament is about God becoming flesh, the promised Messiah of the Jews, in Jesus Christ. He said "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one can come to the Father except through Me." John:14:6

On what basis was Jesus able to make that claim? It was either true or false. If true, the entire New Testament is founded on the Gospel of Jesus Christ. If His claim was a lie, then the New Testament isn't just a good philosophy fiction,/book. It's a book about an entire Church founded on deception? Who in their right mind would be interested in that?

Islam is truly full of deception, and many Muslims have and are turning to Christ. Their testimonies are astounding.
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Bootstrap wrote:
Valerie wrote:Christians do not take issue with being considered narrow minded. It is said in Scripture, that Jesus and the Apostles claimed we would be, and also seen as fools in " the world's " eyes. We were taught to contend for the faith once for all delivered to the saints. The enemy of our soul wants to lead people away from truth.
I agree.

But this is about the Gospel and the cross, not about evolution. For instance:
For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but it is the power of God to us who are being saved. For it is written,
I will destroy the wisdom of the wise,
and I will set aside the intelligence of the intelligent.
Where is the one who is wise? Where is the teacher of the law? Where is the debater of this age? Hasn’t God made the world’s wisdom foolish? For since, in God’s wisdom, the world did not know God through wisdom, God was pleased to save those who believe through the foolishness of what is preached. For the Jews ask for signs and the Greeks seek wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to the Jews and foolishness to the Gentiles. Yet to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ is the power of God and the wisdom of God, because God’s foolishness is wiser than human wisdom, and God’s weakness is stronger than human strength.
I think that calls us to proclaim Jesus, not to establish institutes of creation science.

My fear is that we get distracted by trying to prove all kinds of things that are not discussed in the New Testament and were not part of what Jesus preached. Or that we insist on our own worldly wisdom, promoting creation science as though it disproved mainstream science, and looking foolish in the process - for the wrong reasons.

By all means, let us contend for the faith, for the cross, for the Gospel. And let's keep the focus where it belongs, on Jesus.

My point is boot, Christians stent under pressure to not appear foolish in any of our beliefs. A few years ago, a Methodist woman (who mentors teen girls, was surprised I still believe the whole story of Noah's Ark, as if I should know better. We do not relate to the carnal wisdom of the world- and we know the Father of lied is cunning and knows his time is short. He is using every weapon of warfare to deceive the masses. I am around teens brought up in public schools every day. So many seem lost, empty, anxious, depressed, & don't know if they believe there is a God or not. Why should they? Evolution has been shoved down their throats most of their school days. I was probably in one of the last year's where creation "theory" was still in the text books. I support Creation Scientists and favor their cause- back to Genesis. Actually do some reflecting on Scriptures and what Jesus said that was from Genesis- be a Berean who searched the OT too to verify. Our "faith" is not based on science which is ever changing
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Valerie wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:My fear is that we get distracted by trying to prove all kinds of things that are not discussed in the New Testament and were not part of what Jesus preached. Or that we insist on our own worldly wisdom, promoting creation science as though it disproved mainstream science, and looking foolish in the process - for the wrong reasons.

My point is boot, Christians stent under pressure to not appear foolish in any of our beliefs. A few years ago, a Methodist woman (who mentors teen girls, was surprised I still believe the whole story of Noah's Ark, as if I should know better. We do not relate to the carnal wisdom of the world- and we know the Father of lied is cunning and knows his time is short. He is using every weapon of warfare to deceive the masses. I am around teens brought up in public schools every day. So many seem lost, empty, anxious, depressed, & don't know if they believe there is a God or not. Why should they? Evolution has been shoved down their throats most of their school days. I was probably in one of the last year's where creation "theory" was still in the text books. I support Creation Scientists and favor their cause- back to Genesis. Actually do some reflecting on Scriptures and what Jesus said that was from Genesis- be a Berean who searched the OT too to verify. Our "faith" is not based on science which is ever changing.
I don't think we have to justify ourselves to the world at all. Many things we believe will be nonsense to people who do not know God.

I know who created the earth, I don't know how, and I'm really not sure how literally to read Genesis 1 for reasons I have mentioned earlier. Evolution is not really an issue that I have a strong position on either way. In general, I find it more useful to focus on other things.

Which may be my cue to drop out of this thread so I can do that ;->
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Bootstrap wrote:
Valerie wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:My fear is that we get distracted by trying to prove all kinds of things that are not discussed in the New Testament and were not part of what Jesus preached. Or that we insist on our own worldly wisdom, promoting creation science as though it disproved mainstream science, and looking foolish in the process - for the wrong reasons.

My point is boot, Christians stent under pressure to not appear foolish in any of our beliefs. A few years ago, a Methodist woman (who mentors teen girls, was surprised I still believe the whole story of Noah's Ark, as if I should know better. We do not relate to the carnal wisdom of the world- and we know the Father of lied is cunning and knows his time is short. He is using every weapon of warfare to deceive the masses. I am around teens brought up in public schools every day. So many seem lost, empty, anxious, depressed, & don't know if they believe there is a God or not. Why should they? Evolution has been shoved down their throats most of their school days. I was probably in one of the last year's where creation "theory" was still in the text books. I support Creation Scientists and favor their cause- back to Genesis. Actually do some reflecting on Scriptures and what Jesus said that was from Genesis- be a Berean who searched the OT too to verify. Our "faith" is not based on science which is ever changing.
I don't think we have to justify ourselves to the world at all. Many things we believe will be nonsense to people who do not know God.

I know who created the earth, I don't know how, and I'm really not sure how literally to read Genesis 1 for reasons I have mentioned earlier. Evolution is not really an issue that I have a strong position on either way. In general, I find it more useful to focus on other things.

The subject comes up all around us. It can be an open door of opportunity to share more
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Valerie wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:
Valerie wrote:

The subject comes up all around us. It can be an open door of opportunity to share more
although if shared improperly can be a great way to slam doors shut.
0 x
AnthonyMartin
Affiliation: LMC

Post by AnthonyMartin »

I haven't read all the way through this thread so if this question has already been discussed I apologize.

What does dogmatic adherence to 6-day creation add to the good news of the Kingdom?
0 x