When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.

Do you believe in evolution

Total votes: 0

Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Re: Evolution

Post by Wade »

Bootstrap wrote:
Hats Off wrote:Are there actually people today who believe the earth is flat? I did not realize this a question to ask.
The part I'm standing on right now seems pretty flat.
And for long time this was a common belief. They should have just read the book of Isaiah, it says the world is round and has for a couple thousand years before science "proved" it... :roll:
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Wade wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:And for long time this was a common belief. They should have just read the book of Isaiah, it says the world is round and has for a couple thousand years before science "proved" it... :roll:
On flat vs. round, I checked "other". The earth is not round. And no, it's really not as smooth as a billiard ball, though we could certainly argue that as long as we've argued climate change ;->
Last edited by Bootstrap on Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Hats Off wrote:Are there actually people today who believe the earth is flat? I did not realize this a question to ask.
I heard someone say recently that flat earth was coming into fashion among certain Nationwide people. I have no idea if this is true or not.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

RZehr wrote:
I heard someone say recently that flat earth was coming into fashion among certain Nationwide people. I have no idea if this is true or not.
Would be a nice way to ensure you get no converts :lol:
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

RZehr wrote:
I’ve run into one Nationwide person who believed this (along with other conspiracy theories), but I hope this is not becoming the norm.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
RZehr wrote:
Would be a nice way to ensure you get no converts :lol:
In my own circles, I have now run into this twice amongst converts. It’s a rather controversial opinion to have.

The last time I heard a Holdeman arguing for a round earth, their argument was the travel times it takes them to get to/from mission outposts in Africa and China... a good argument for mission work, I guess.
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Bootstrap wrote:
Wade wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:And for long time this was a common belief. They should have just read the book of Isaiah, it says the world is round and has for a couple thousand years before science "proved" it... :roll:
On flat vs. round, I checked "other". The earth is not round. And no, it's really not as smooth as a billiard ball, though we could certainly argue that as long as we've argued climate change ;->
It certainly must not be flat because that would take the hollow earth theory out of the equation, which has some solid evidence with no holes in it...
:wave:
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Wade wrote:t certainly must not be flat because that would take the hollow earth theory out of the equation, which has some solid evidence with no holes in it...
:wave:
I've actually read Tarzan at the Earth's Core, so I'm familiar with some of this evidence ...
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

I actually have a lot of respect for young earth, floating-boat-full-of-all-species, flat earthers. They are consistent in their biblical hermeneutic.

But like it or not, the earth is a round ("shaped like or approximating a sphere") oblate spheroid. It's easy to measure this and even in Jesus' time people who took the trouble to investigate the physical world knew it was spherical - they even had calculated its size fairly accurately.

I don't know why flat-earth and Darwinian-evolution have to be tied together.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Wayne in Maine wrote:I actually have a lot of respect for young earth, floating-boat-full-of-all-species, flat earthers. They are consistent in their biblical hermeneutic.
What’s most peculiar about many folks who believe such is how their hermeneutic doesn’t make it all the way to Matthew 5. For them, a literal belief of Genesis 1 & 2 is required, but Matthew 5 - 7 or 1 Corinthians 11 get explained away.
0 x