Science versus politics - how can you tell?

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Science versus politics - how can you tell?

Post by Bootstrap »

As I mentioned in other threads, I do best discussing one topic at a time, and sticking with that topic while we exchange views. I'd like to use this thread to discuss one thing mentioned in the Global Warming thread.
Wayne in Maine wrote:I enjoy a good discussion, but clearly this topic is tainted with political philosophy (which I don't care to debate), and I don't have as much time to invest in a defense of a scientific skeptics position as others have to defend the IPCC.
Obviously, politicians like the sound of "science says". Even if they don't want to hear what science says. So how do we make sure we aren't doing the same thing?

My answer: you look at the sources that reflect mainstream science. In general, I expect sources like these to be more science than politics:
  • Peer-reviewed scientific journals
  • Scientific associations
  • Reviews of the scientific literature done by scientific associations
  • Textbooks used to teach science at universities
In general, if I were looking for scientists who are not "tainted by politics", I would steer clear of politicians who have worked with think tanks and lobbyist groups or who spend significant time working with Congress, and stick with scientists who focus mainly on research and teaching. I would steer clear of scientists who receive funding that is tainted by special interests. But on the whole, I think the most important thing is to look at the discussion among scientists, and see how scientists evaluate each other's work.

Are there better answers to this question?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Science versus politics - how can you tell?

Post by RZehr »

That is good.
While truth is true regardless of who is saying it, I also lean away from scientist who are operating under certain false assumptions of human origin, human life, human morality. I listen to what they have to say, but am on the lookout for these things. If what they are saying is influence by, or is biased upon these errors, then I have to either reject it, or draw different conclusions, or reconcile them where possible.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Science versus politics - how can you tell?

Post by Bootstrap »

RZehr wrote:That is good.
While truth is true regardless of who is saying it, I also lean away from scientist who are operating under certain false assumptions of human origin, human life, human morality. I listen to what they have to say, but am on the lookout for these things. If what they are saying is influence by, or is biased upon these errors, then I have to either reject it, or draw different conclusions, or reconcile them where possible.
Can you say more about those assumptions?

I usually assume human morality is not a scientific question, it's not what scientists are expert at. I also think we know that God created the universe, but without telling us the details of how he created it, and that it's beyond the scope of what scientists can study with any accuracy. Is that the kind of thing you are talking about, or are you saying something different?

When you say "human life", what assumptions are you thinking of? When I was younger, scientists used to tell us that life begins at conception, when there is a unique living individual - that's a more precise answer than anything I see in the Bible. Scientists now tend to dodge the question of when life begins ...
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?