Small Talk

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Re: Small Talk

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Today [something] made me think... I really wish that more churches preached health consciousness and a lifestyle that follows suit. Doesn't seem like a stretch that it's a part of respecting and caring for the Divine's creation. Only ones I can think of would be SDA...
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

KingdomBuilder wrote:Today [something] made me think... I really wish that more churches preached health consciousness and a lifestyle that follows suit. Doesn't seem like a stretch that it's a part of respecting and caring for the Divine's creation. Only ones I can think of would be SDA...
I agree this is an area where we lack, but I think “health consciousness” needs to start from a spiritual basis:

“Is anyone among you suffering? He should pray. Is anyone in good spirits? He should sing praises. Is anyone among you ill? He should summon the elders of the church, and they should pray for him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick and the Lord will raise him up – and if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven.”

Rather than oddball theories of health or supplements, perhaps we should focus on spiritual flaws and character flaws which lead to bad health.

Excessive pride about one’s strength leads to hurt, sore backs. (I’ve seen too much of this and it makes me sad.)

Without a very high degree control to not indulge the flesh leads to being overweight, a uniquely modern phenomenon - we are surrounded by addictive options for eating and other behaviour. We need the help of our brethren to avoid this.

Modern life offers many ways to be very lazy: one can indulge in endless information (a sure temptation for me), various forms of entertainment, eating out as entertainment, and much else. This eventually to not just weak minds but weak, ill bodies.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

KingdomBuilder wrote:Today [something] made me think... I really wish that more churches preached health consciousness and a lifestyle that follows suit. Doesn't seem like a stretch that it's a part of respecting and caring for the Divine's creation. Only ones I can think of would be SDA...
I agree that this could be good to a point - same as caring for the environment. However, these things too often take over the religious efforts of the people involved. There are far too many people whose religion is health or the environment.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Hats Off wrote:
I agree that this could be good to a point - same as caring for the environment. However, these things too often take over the religious efforts of the people involved. There are far too many people whose religion is health or the environment.
Amen and amen. Such is the imperfect nature of men. The tendency of making idols out of movements, fads, politics, health, finances or even pets is a temptation to everyone.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Hats Off wrote:I once had to be told to remove my hat - I walked into a Legion Hall - usually I will even remove my hat in elevators, at the hospital etc. This one time I forgot, and I was told!
The rule in a Legion Hall for not removing your hat is about disrespect for the picture of the Queen and they must have let you off the penalty which is buying everyone present a drink of their choice.

When I finish a game of golf the accepted norm to follow is removing your hat, shaking the hand of each person you play with and thanking them for their fellowship. No penalty for violators but there is if you step up and tee off before someone else who just birdied a hole. The round of drinks penalty is the norm here.

It still makes me uncomfortable when I see a young guy wearing a hat in church although only one or two I see doing this. And some see removing your hat is a must at a dinner table.

We do have our acceptable norms of respect but I think many of these are or have disappeared. Like opening the car door for a female and/or entering a building in front of a female. I do like the competition I see lately to being very polite by businesses. This increase in just being friendly as you serve others does have a positive impact.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

One of the biggest harms to our bodies is being anxious about things. We are not to be anxious over anything. We are to let the peace of God rule in our hearts. And our hearts (which I think often refers to our thoughts) must be transformed and guarded from things that can disturb us and often these disturbances come from other believers.

Sometimes when we see anxiousness taking over, it is just best to step back and quit participating on the topic. Some here seem to do this better than others. I'm trying to work on this when I feel anxious but still need work in this area. Worry and being anxious lead to all kinds of health issues. Peace and joy are what brings healing to not only ourselves but to others we are in contact with.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

KingdomBuilder wrote:Hopefully folks will participate here. :)
Just did! 8-)
0 x
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Hats Off wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:Today [something] made me think...
True. As Josh mentioned, we'd be better to stay away from preaching specifics or drilling the physical too much- focus on the Spirit instead.
"Get your B12 after the age of accountability" might be pushing it :mrgreen:
0 x
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

While watering my tiny seedlings today, I had the thought that everyone should raise at least one seed from seed to fruit to better understand all the parables likening the Kingdom to a seed.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

KingdomBuilder wrote:While watering my tiny seedlings today, I had the thought that everyone should raise at least one seed from seed to fruit to better understand all the parables likening the Kingdom to a seed.
Gardens, crops and livestock really do connect us to meaning of the parables featuring those things.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God