Helping Venezuela

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Once Again
Affiliation: church of Christ

Helping Venezuela

Post by Once Again »

I've been hearing reports of how bad things are in Venezuela. Are there any reputable relief agencies operating in the country right now, preferably CA/CM?
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Helping Venezuela

Post by temporal1 »

everything i read on Venezuela is dire. not very much reported.
January
http://www.news.com.au/finance/economy/ ... 1f0801f2d5
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

It has to be really bad there, for the people to be fleeing into COLOMBIA. My best friend in HS (and in our youth group) was born there, while his father was working there in the oil industry. That was once one of the richest countries in South America. But I am personally unaware of any aid work there.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

At this point the government there is not receptive to aid. The best thing any of us can do is if you know someone still managing to live there, ask them what would help. The last person I spoke to who lives there said it’s too hard to get anything in or out and that even money doesn’t help at this point. They advised finding a program to help migrants who are in Colombia.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

One of the most telling statistics about the nature of the crisis is the average weight that each Venezuelan has lost last year: 24 pounds. They call it the Maduro diet. Venezuela appears to be a modern nation retreating into third-world status.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Once Again
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by Once Again »

Josh wrote:At this point the government there is not receptive to aid. The best thing any of us can do is if you know someone still managing to live there, ask them what would help. The last person I spoke to who lives there said it’s too hard to get anything in or out and that even money doesn’t help at this point. They advised finding a program to help migrants who are in Colombia.
Do you know of one?
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Once Again wrote:
Josh wrote:At this point the government there is not receptive to aid. The best thing any of us can do is if you know someone still managing to live there, ask them what would help. The last person I spoke to who lives there said it’s too hard to get anything in or out and that even money doesn’t help at this point. They advised finding a program to help migrants who are in Colombia.
Do you know of one?
We do and we are trying to get them help. I will have to ask our Pastor for an update if the items have been received yet as it is true that it is hard to get anything into the country.
We recieved a letter from a sister Baptist congregation that had three bags of flour for two weeks. And that is for an entire congregation of 600... The letter said their babies are dying...
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Got word they received there first pallet of food in Venezuela.
What's more fortunate is that they have been able find more local resources too.
0 x