Communication norms

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Communication norms

Post by Soloist »

In my experience... Silence is used quite often and tends to make me feel very uncomfortable but I have a deep respect for someone who waits to talk rather than babble like I tend to do. :P
The Bible would suggest as a song would too, be slow to speak, slow to wrath but quick to hear and quick to care. (words probably horridly wrong)
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Soloist wrote:In my experience... Silence is used quite often and tends to make me feel very uncomfortable but I have a deep respect for someone who waits to talk rather than babble like I tend to do. :P
The Bible would suggest as a song would too, be slow to speak, slow to wrath but quick to hear and quick to care. (words probably horridly wrong)
I do think it funny how my experience with people on here is some of us with high post counts talk less than those with low post counts when meeting in real.life. :) Sometimes I think I probably have people wondering if I am still there during phone conversations... :lol: We need talkers too. :hug:

But look out if you are not saved and ask a question or two... :blah:

My experience with Mennonites is silence is okay and I don't mind that. Other times silence meant I likely said something that steered conversation a direction they didn't want to go.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

hillperson wrote:One thing about most Mennonites is they are German/Swiss background. The German part of them makes them very stoic for the most part.... If you keep that in mind it helps to communicate with them. Work is very important to them and a lot of them need help with being effective communicators
I've heard this a few times before. There has to be a point where people realize that German stoicism, regardless of how it may be romanticized in a subculture, isn't the norm, nor is it appreciated/ understood by the vast majority of Americans. In fact, I imagine that it could damage ones mission if he or she isn't conscious about it.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
hillperson wrote:One thing about most Mennonites is they are German/Swiss background. The German part of them makes them very stoic for the most part.... If you keep that in mind it helps to communicate with them. Work is very important to them and a lot of them need help with being effective communicators
I've heard this a few times before. There has to be a point where people realize that German stoicism, regardless of how it may be romanticized in a subculture, isn't the norm, nor is it appreciated/ understood by the vast majority of Americans. In fact, I imagine that it could damage ones mission if he or she isn't conscious about it.
No kidding. Likewise, when I’m working in Germany or in another non-North-American country, I have to adjust my communication norms.

It would do well to adjust one’s behaviour if one plans to do missions to North American people’s.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

[quote="Josh"No kidding. Likewise, when I’m working in Germany or in another non-North-American country, I have to adjust my communication norms.

It would do well to adjust one’s behaviour if one plans to do missions to North American people’s.[/quote]

It's really odd for people who are so into applying seperation to be seen clinging to a communication style that is specific to an earthly kingdom.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
DarkShallNotPrevail
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by DarkShallNotPrevail »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
I find the contrast very interesting between Germanic ethnic Hutterites and Germanic ethnic Mennonites; the quiet stoicism you'd expect reflected within Hutterite circles due to similar backgrounds simply isn't there! They say what they think, and are very blunt and straightforward even to the point of socially perceived rudeness. It's very refreshing once you get used to it ☺️
0 x
The meaning of life is to find your gift.
The purpose of life is to give it away.
-w.s.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Generally speaking, Mennonites and Amish act more Swiss and Hutterites act more Austrian.

It bothers me quite a bit how much being Dutch, Swiss, or Austrian gets confused with being a godly person.
0 x