Your Story

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Your Story

Post by Sudsy »

Last Sunday our lead pastor spoke on personal evangelism and one of the references was when Jesus told the disciples to leave their nets and He would make them fishers of men. I have heard sermons on this many times and using fishing for fish similarities to fishing for men. The one I would like some feedback on is when our pastor says to catch fish we need a hook. And he suggested that hook was our personal salvation story.

There are many sites one can link to here and they often suggest this 'hook' is something no one can question as it is 'your story' on your life. I know Paul had used his story at times in the NT but seems to me the 'hook' was more on our sinning, the result being spiritual death; what Jesus did to save us from the power and penalty of our sins and His offer to us of the free gift of eternal life.

What I'm curious about, and what I thought might be the case with many who have been brought up in church, is how a churched person, who cannot recall having a 'night to day' or 'damascus road' (like Paul had) experience refers to some 'new creation' time that would 'snag' other's attention. I have heard some say that when they were a certain age they 'went forward in a meeting' and/or 'accepted Jesus as their Lord and Saviour' or 'gave their heart to Jesus' and I'm wondering just how this is a 'hook' ? In a way, it sounds more like I did something to save me rather than what Jesus did to save me.

I don't believe there is one way only to share our faith but I think it might be good to talk about how we introduce people to the Saviour when we come from a churched background.

Myself, coming from a churched background, my sharing often pointed to the dramatic conversion of my unchurched parents and the change God made in their life. And not to accentuate the things that they quit doing but rather what this new life brought into their existence. And mainly to point them to what Jesus does as it is not a matter of one 'turning over a new leaf'.

So, everyone is welcome to share and I am especially interested in how those raised in church go about 'fishing for men'. What would you say is the 'lure' or type of 'hook' you have used ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Re: Your Story

Post by Hats Off »

I would say the "lure" we use with our children is the example we set ourselves and the teaching they receive at school and in church. I hate to think we might be using a hook since that implies something less than voluntary.
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Jesus preached the gospel of the kingdom of God says the scriptures. To see real living, loving, faithful, peaceful, vibrant churches living in Truth having ambassadors of the kingdom here on earth is very exciting to be apart of. And makes any ideas of turning from a sinful life to serving and following Christ together such a privilege and joy.
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Hats Off wrote:I would say the "lure" we use with our children is the example we set ourselves and the teaching they receive at school and in church. I hate to think we might be using a hook since that implies something less than voluntary.
I agree that an example can be a 'lure' and we are not trying to 'snag' fish but rather providing an attractive bait that they will voluntarily go for. And how is this example lure working to attract the unchurched ? Unless what Jesus said about making His disciples fishers of men only applied to the first disciples, He is still making us fishers of men. The early church caught many, many fish. If we are not, why not ? Thoughts ?
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Wade wrote:Jesus preached the gospel of the kingdom of God says the scriptures. To see real living, loving, faithful, peaceful, vibrant churches living in Truth having ambassadors of the kingdom here on earth is very exciting to be apart of. And makes any ideas of turning from a sinful life to serving and following Christ together such a privilege and joy.
Is this what you see happening ? Are the unchurched being attracted to the Kingdom way of life and wanting this life over their current ? Would love to hear some testimonies here from churches that are seeing the unchurched coming into the Kingdom life. What 'lured' them ?
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

I respect your point here, of course, Sudsy.. And what your preacher says. However, personal testimonies simply don't resonate with a lot of people. I was (hopefully not "am"..) one of that type.
It was just hard for me to draw parallels between someone else's conversion and my own life.. The differing realities and variables made it feel like apples and oranges.

I for one am a firm believer in the seeing of falsity/ hypocrisy as a first step towards seeing truth. Hold things up to the light to see their darkness. JWs and LDS utilize this tactic, theology aside, and it's effective.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Hooks, bait, and lures make interesting analogies. Jesus was talking to those who used nets. How can we use nets as our metaphor?
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

JimFoxvog wrote:Hooks, bait, and lures make interesting analogies. Jesus was talking to those who used nets. How can we use nets as our metaphor?
as in “Menno” “Net?” :)
Robert’s choice of words for the new forum, and “fishnet” theme for MN harkens the metaphor.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Sudsy wrote:
Wade wrote:Jesus preached the gospel of the kingdom of God says the scriptures. To see real living, loving, faithful, peaceful, vibrant churches living in Truth having ambassadors of the kingdom here on earth is very exciting to be apart of. And makes any ideas of turning from a sinful life to serving and following Christ together such a privilege and joy.
Is this what you see happening ? Are the unchurched being attracted to the Kingdom way of life and wanting this life over their current ? Would love to hear some testimonies here from churches that are seeing the unchurched coming into the Kingdom life. What 'lured' them ?
I talk to people often asking if they are a Christian and whatever I can to lead into spiritual discussion. The excuse by far over anything else why people tell me they are "sort of a Christian" or not at all is because; Christians aren't Christ-like. What I read about how Mennonites live is part of what lured me to the kingdom.
However, do I see this happening where more people enter the kingdom because of a good witness? No. But my main experience is very limited to a church that had many internal struggles.
I do have people often ask about my demeanor. Which one gentleman after a few weeks of talking told me a couple days ago that he talked to his wife about moving to the nearest town I told him has Mennonites. She told him that he was crazy...
I have had older(mid-fifties) hardened men in tears when sharing about the love I have seen in one Mennonite Church.
We all need to get over "I" to be that witness to reach these people and expand to places where there are not options of Anabaptist churches.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

This week I was in a business meeting where one non-Mennonite man was overcome emotionally and in tears because of the personal and positive way that he has been treated by the Mennonite ownership. This man was not a Christian when he was hired 10 years ago, and has become a Christian.
There have been multiple key employees at this company who have rejected higher pay at other companies. The reason they have given for staying is because the like the way this company operates.
0 x