"If you don't vote, you have no right to complain!"

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: "If you don't vote, you have no right to complain!"

Post by temporal1 »

mike wrote:
Dan Z wrote:Honest question: Is it godly to pray against a particular leader...or must our prayers always be supportive? King David seems to have done both.
Absolutely - I think we must pray against the wicked aims of leaders. I believe we can do so while respecting their office and position as being God-appointed.
"pray against a particular leader?"
i believe the NT response would be to pray for (errant, or even evil) leaders to open their hearts to Truth, to be led onto godly paths. the Holy Spirit can touch anyone, can change hearts.

(i believe) this is part of the NT challenge of loving one's enemies, and, separating the sin from the sinner. at times, more easily done than at other times.

i come across believers praying for leadership in this way often, perhaps more often would be better!

i can become angry, irritable, distraught, and more, but when i go to pray, i try to lift myself up+away from these base emotions, to beg for guidance, for God's Will .. it would be very hard to pray for anyone's destruction .. praying for their eyes to be open, hearts to be changed, is the constructive path (i believe) Jesus wants His followers to take. as He did.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Dan Z wrote:Honest question: Is it godly to pray against a particular leader...or must our prayers always be supportive? King David seems to have done both.
Sure we can pray against leaders.
I think it is better if it is in regard to particular actions that the leader is taking, or has said that he will take, instead of a general prayer against him, because of our need to honor the king.
If he is really absolutely evil, it is understandable to pray a general prayer against him. But we also need to remember to pray "not my will but thine be done," because God may have a plan to use his wickedness.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

temporal1 wrote:
mike wrote:
Absolutely - I think we must pray against the wicked aims of leaders. I believe we can do so while respecting their office and position as being God-appointed.
"pray against a particular leader?"
i believe the NT response would be to pray for (errant, or even evil) leaders to open their hearts to Truth, to be led onto godly paths. the Holy Spirit can touch anyone, can change hearts.

(i believe) this is part of the NT challenge of loving one's enemies, and, separating the sin from the sinner. at times, more easily done than at other times.

i come across believers praying for leadership in this way often, perhaps more often would be better!

i can become angry, irritable, distraught, and more, but when i go to pray, i try to lift myself up+away from these base emotions, to beg for guidance, for God's Will .. it would be very hard to pray for anyone's destruction .. praying for their eyes to be open, hearts to be changed, is the constructive path (i believe) Jesus wants His followers to take. as He did.
Rather than praying "against a leader" I think, like I said, that I would pray more specifically the parts of their agenda that appear to be wrong or evil. I could pray that for President Obama and will also for President Trump.
1 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

mike wrote:Rather than praying "against a leader" I think, like I said, that I would pray more specifically the parts of their agenda that appear to be wrong or evil.
I could pray that for President Obama and will also for President Trump.
me, too. i did not intend to contest either you or Dan. just intended to reply to Dan's "honest question." :)
0 x

UNKNOWN
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Praying against a leader is an interesting question. Think of an extreme example, such a Hitler. I think I could faithfully pray for his conversion, and failing that, that his evil plans be thwarted.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

JimFoxvog wrote:Praying against a leader is an interesting question. Think of an extreme example, such a Hitler. I think I could faithfully pray for his conversion, and failing that, that his evil plans be thwarted.
Which also needs to be prayed for every US leader in my lifetime.
0 x
JimFoxvog

Post by JimFoxvog »

Josh wrote:
JimFoxvog wrote:Praying against a leader is an interesting question. Think of an extreme example, such a Hitler. I think I could faithfully pray for his conversion, and failing that, that his evil plans be thwarted.
Maybe you aren't as aged as I am, but Carter was (and is) a serious Christian who tried to be faithful. I didn't agree with him on everything. He wasn't a pacifist, but is the only President in my lifetime that didn't invade other countries. So I don't think praying for his conversion to Christ is needed, just a fuller understanding of Jesus' teachings.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

JimFoxvog wrote:
Josh wrote:
Maybe you aren't as aged as I am, but Carter was (and is) a serious Christian who tried to be faithful. I didn't agree with him on everything. He wasn't a pacifist, but is the only President in my lifetime that didn't invade other countries. So I don't think praying for his conversion to Christ is needed, just a fuller understanding of Jesus' teachings.
Saying he needs a fuller understanding is an understatement. Carter has been busy going around praising brutal dictators - hardly what is becoming to a "pacifist".
1 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

i find Carter confusing as a politician, and as a Christian; either-or, both.
more effective, after leaving office.
i have a cousin who -loves- him. possibly after he left office? i'm not clear on that.
0 x

UNKNOWN
JimFoxvog

Post by JimFoxvog »

I attended Carter's Sunday School class a couple times after he left office. Struck me as a sincere, thoughtful, moderately conservative Baptist. Intelligent, but no Biblical scholar. When I was with a group that hosted a Habitat for Humanity board meeting, he attended. Maybe our pacifist group compromised by not insisting the several Secret Service guys disarm? I appreciated his humility. He waited in the buffet line to serve himself the food we prepared and washed his own dishes like everyone else.
0 x