Check as many as apply:

Total votes: 0

joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Re: Hunting - Poll

Post by joshuabgood »

DrWojo wrote:
mike wrote:
joshuabgood wrote:The truth is, I've never really understood sport hunting or trophy hunting (posing with dead animals). And I don't understand the level of emotion around killing animals that leads people to get the shakes (buck fever).
I can help you out here. It is very similar to the shakes when you stand in front of the crowd and you are seconds away from the difficult solo - and to the rush of triumph when you totally nail it. :)
If ‘shakes’ can be defined as a rush of euphoria or adrenaline, I’d say it has more to do with the act of killing the animal by taking a shot at it — no different from dropping my own home - raised steer or pig; not restricted to sport hunting. As to whatever possesses a body to want to pose with their trophy prey, I dunno, I guess the same thing that makes the Mennonites want to pose for engagement pictures and send them to all their friends and acquaintances? There’s a whole other ‘hornet’s nest,’ if anyone wants to carry on further. I mean, after all, what with the breaking of the commandment to not make any graven image and all . . .
I am with you around having questions about flashy engagement pictures...but still, is that really the same as posing with a corpse. I get it...many Menno's love hunting. A number of my own family members...but does that mean we shouldn't critically analyze what is underneath? Or since that is something men enjoy it, like many other things, is off limits?

And we haven't even discussed the taking off work, money invested in idols (I mean mounts=), at home etc etc...

*Don't take the comments above too seriously if you are a hunter. I am just looking to put out food for thought and push some thinking.
0 x
AnthonyMartin
Affiliation: LMC

Post by AnthonyMartin »

"idols" might have been going a little far :)

Most mounts are more pride in self accomplishment than an actual symbol of worship. Unless your thinking in the Richard Connell sense, but that would really be going off the deep end. IMHO
0 x
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

AnthonyMartin wrote:"idols" might have been going a little far :)

Most mounts are more pride in self accomplishment than an actual symbol of worship. Unless your thinking in the Richard Connell sense, but that would really be going off the deep end. IMHO
Fair enough...but when it is seems easier to get somebody to give a testimony about a hunting story than it is a testimony about a "Jesus" story perhaps it is a fair critique. The stories we like and enjoy telling perhaps show us what we really love.

This of course also applies to me as well. As Mike pointed out...though perhaps not with hunting...singing stories might be an angle...also with the time away from home factor and money invested. (Still the defensive part of me would like to argue that singing is categorically different than trophy hunting in some rather obvious ways...)
0 x
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

DrWojo wrote:
mike wrote:
DrWojo wrote:
I think he means if you’re not a resident of Oregon, as an out-of-State hunter the license costs $615.50.

BTW - do you know what Pennsylvania’s out-of- State hunter’s license currently costs?
$101.90. Come on up.
Thanks. Is that an invitation?
Sure, why not. It's like inviting somebody to somebody else's house because I hunt on my brothers' land. ;)
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
DrWojo
Affiliation: Sylvian Christian Fe

Post by DrWojo »

mike wrote:
DrWojo wrote:
mike wrote:
$101.90. Come on up.
Thanks. Is that an invitation?
Sure, why not. It's like inviting somebody to somebody else's house because I hunt on my brothers' land. ;)
That’s very generous and kind, however, if I ever got serious enough to spend that kind of time and money, let alone the logistics of traveling from Oklahoma, I’d probably try to round up my 5 old buddies (one of them from Barnett, MO near Versailles) and see if we could for one more time, pull one more all-nighter staying up playing Rook, drinking coffee and then hunting the next day. I sure miss those old times :up:
0 x
"Too often believers have trivialized goodness by concentrating on their various denominational brands of legalism, becoming a 'peculiar people' set at odd angles to the world rather than being an attractive light illuminating it." -Unknown
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

RZehr wrote:Our state charges residences $34.50 for a hunting license plus $28.50 for a deer tag. One deer per year limit unless you are drawn for an additional one. Non-residences will pay $615.50. Landownership of 160+ acres in one contiguous chunk gets you additional tags, but full price.

I buy a tag most years, might hunt 1-2 days most years. I view trophy hunting as negative, but at the same time I sure would be happy to shoot a trophy. I go duck or dove hunting a few times a year.
Speaking of trophies, my father was quite active in baseball with many trophies, jackets, banners, pictures, etc. compiled throughout his baseball years. When he became a Christian he got rid of all this stuff as for him it was all about pride in his accomplishments. I got rid of a box full of these of my own, including deer antlers, but kept a few trophies as reminders of extra special events. I haven't quite got to that point of getting rid of all of these yet in my battle with the ego. But the trophy case is gone and the ones I have kept are pretty privately located. God isn't done with me yet in learning humility in various areas.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

DrWojo wrote:….. pull one more all-nighter staying up playing Rook, drinking coffee and then hunting the next day. I sure miss those old times :up:
That sounds like border-line torture to me 8-)
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
AnthonyMartin
Affiliation: LMC

Post by AnthonyMartin »

joshuabgood wrote:
AnthonyMartin wrote:"idols" might have been going a little far :)

Fair enough...but when it is seems easier to get somebody to give a testimony about a hunting story than it is a testimony about a "Jesus" story perhaps it is a fair critique. The stories we like and enjoy telling perhaps show us what we really love.

This of course also applies to me as well. As Mike pointed out...though perhaps not with hunting...singing stories might be an angle...also with the time away from home factor and money invested. (Still the defensive part of me would like to argue that singing is categorically different than trophy hunting in some rather obvious ways...)
I certainly agree on the ease of testimony. I also have close folks in my life who believe all concerts and musical performances are idolatry and show.

I feel I've been able worship God sincerely at concerts as well as in a tree stand. Although to be honest, I don't know that I have worshiped God while a trophy buck was walking my way :)
0 x
undershepherd
Affiliation: Mountain Valley Menn

Post by undershepherd »

joshuabgood wrote:The truth is, I've never really understood sport hunting or trophy hunting (posing with dead animals). And I don't understand the level of emotion around killing animals that leads people to get the shakes (buck fever). And it seems to me that when animals are killed it should be the quickest cleanest most efficient manner out of respect for the animal, so I don't understand archery either.

There...now that I poked that hornets nest...carry on:)
Josh in regards to your question about archery let me say this. A well placed archery shot is probably a more humane and efficient way to kill an animal than a gunshot. I have killed more deer with a bow than I have with a gun. None of them ran more than 40 or 50 yards and most of them dropped in their tracks with very little struggle or alarm. The ones I have killed with a gun have all ran at the sound of the shot and often went further than the ones I have killed with a bow.
0 x
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

If my boys ever want to get into hunting, I’d be ok with it, even encourage it. My oldest is right hand, left eye dominant so shooting is challenging for him.

I did my share of varmint hunting in my single days and still love the baying of a coon hound. Deer was something I never really got into hunting. When I got married I pretty much quit. I just wouldn’t feel ok leaving my family and spending evenings away from home all the time. I’d feel even less ok with leaving my family for a week at a time and going on a hunting trip, tho I try to be generous with folks who do so, assuming all parties are amicable.

I understand the draw hunting has. And frankly, it makes more sense to me than a lot of sports folks get involved with.
0 x