jm's random thots

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
justme
Affiliation: hermit

Re: jm's random thots

Post by justme »

first impressions on the experiment.
i was afraid that postings would drop drastically, but they don't seem to have.
and the content is dramatically different.
much less political.
0 x
Anything seems possible if you don't know what you are talking about. fb meme
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

justme wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:46 pm first impressions on the experiment.
much less political.
Maybe we're just all on our best behavior, but things seem a bit gentler and it's as if there is space for other people who don't post as often to post

Of course it also strikes me how much smaller the group of regulars are than before.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

much less political.
Maybe the rest of us are scared that we will be invited to a sabbatical as well. :)
0 x
Sliceitup
Affiliation: Keystone, for now

Post by Sliceitup »

Szdfan wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:13 pm
much less political.
Maybe we're just all on our best behavior, but things seem a bit gentler and it's as if there is space for other people who don't post as often to post

Of course it also strikes me how much smaller the group of regulars are than before.
Contrary to your thoughts on everyone being on their best behavior, I am feeling much more free to say what I think. I’ve made a few posts that I wouldn’t have otherwise, because I knew who would respond and how that would go. Now I don’t worry about someone pulling apart a small part of the post and incinerating me for it.
2 x
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

Sliceitup wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:25 am
Szdfan wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:13 pm
much less political.

Contrary to your thoughts on everyone being on their best behavior, I am feeling much more free to say what I think. I’ve made a few posts that I wouldn’t have otherwise, because I knew who would respond and how that would go. Now I don’t worry about someone pulling apart a small part of the post and incinerating me for it.
That's really great. Maybe I should say that I'm on my best behavior -- I've intentionally avoided posting about politics.

I know what you mean -- I posted about teaching because I didn't think I was going to get lectured about the evils of "government schools" and CRT and nonsense like that. I'm going to miss the gentler tone that's currently prevailing on MN. There's still discussion and disagreement, but it doesn't feel like the usual bloodsport.
2 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
justme

Post by justme »

Szdfan wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 8:05 amMaybe I should say that I'm on my best behavior -- I've intentionally avoided posting about politics.
that's what my unformed opinion at this point in the experiment says.
ban politics altogether.
2 x
justme

Post by justme »

RZehr wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 12:40 amMaybe the rest of us are scared that we will be invited to a sabbatical as well. :)
you offered to go on the sabbatical as well
remember??

(altho i think you just wanted the money!)
0 x
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

justme wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 8:18 am
Szdfan wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 8:05 amMaybe I should say that I'm on my best behavior -- I've intentionally avoided posting about politics.
ban politics altogether.
I thought about that. I'm not sure it's that easy. I think even if the politics forum was dropped, political topics would still get posted because that's what some people really want to talk about (while insisting simultaneously that they're not political). A ban on politics requires vigilant moderation.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Szdfan wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 8:27 am
justme wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 8:18 am
ban politics altogether.
I thought about that. I'm not sure it's that easy. I think even if the politics forum was dropped, political topics would still get posted because that's what some people really want to talk about (while insisting simultaneously that they're not political). A ban on politics requires vigilant moderation.
In my observation, the current events forum is the one most often used to talk politics against the guidelines. We have a 'no politics' option that I use and when someone uses the current events forum to talk politics, we can call them on it. There should be respect for those who want to keep away from the fighting that goes on over politics. The current events forum criteria on the home page says that forum is discussion here is 'not part of politics'.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Szdfan wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 8:05 am

I know what you mean -- I posted about teaching because I didn't think I was going to get lectured about the evils of "government schools" and CRT and nonsense like that.
I am still here to call all things government evil. 8-)
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.