Identifying and Finding Appropriate Clothing

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Identifying and Finding Appropriate Clothing

Post by Ernie »

steve-in-kville wrote:
Josh wrote:A group that switches from handmade clothes to clothes off the rack will eventually be wearing the immodest fashions of the world. I
I both agree and disagree with you, Josh. I see your train of thought and I have seen this happen. I have also seen individuals hold their ground as well. And don't forget the next generation will also push the boundaries.
Recently I took some seekers to visit the Bercot's. They were evangelicals who are heading the kingdom Christian/cons. Anabaptist direction. The lady was asking questions about headcovering, how to find suitable clothing, why Mennonites wear uniforms, etc. David explained that it is possible for people/churches to dress appropriately for a generation or two without a uniform, but it typically doesn't last much longer than that. He explained that the Anabaptists figured out a way to pass these values on and that is why he finally gave up on house churching and joined an Anabaptist church. His hat is off to anyone who wants to navigate the challenges of charting a course that preserves modesty without specifying a uniform but he tired of all the challenges that came with his attempts at this.
Judas Maccabeus wrote:We scoured every thrift store we could find, and only found one dress that would "pass."
My wife has taken to making her own.
J.M.
We have a lady in our church who has a knack for finding suitable clothing at yard sales, thrift stores, etc. She stocks far enough ahead that she never runs short. Others in our church who have higher standards have had difficulty finding appropriate clothing. One lady concluded that spent as much time shopping as she would have spent staying home with her family and sewing her own clothing.
The seeker lady mentioned earlier noticed that many Christian women who want to dress really modestly with longer sleeves end up wearing button down shirts that looks like men's shirts. This seemed counter intuitive to her as she thinks of dressing more modestly and spiritually.
But some people don't know how to sew and it feels like we will need to give them some grace with their choice of clothing until they have had time to shop for awhile and come up with a wardrobe of suitable clothing.

Some people don't have time to shop. If they have money, they can get suitable clothing here...
https://www.gehmanscountryfabrics.com/i ... esses.html
https://www.phyllisjean.net/

"Modest clothing" seems to have various components. Some people's definition does not include all these components and then there is a wide spectrum within each component as to what is appropriate.
Modesty components:
1. Covers the body sufficiently
2. Is simple, serviceable, and without unnecessary adornment
3. Not luxurious, not ostentatious, not flashy
4. Not form fitting
5. Not conforming to current fashion
6. Not resembling clothing of the opposite gender

I'm interested in hearing other thoughts on this topic.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: Identifying and Finding Appropriate Clothing

Post by steve-in-kville »

My wife wore the cape dress up until a few months ago. Out children attended a Mennonite school and they required the cape dress and a certain style covering. We attended a KMF church up until maybe three years ago. We are now COB (long story) and our children no longer attend a Mennonite school (even longer story... promise I'll tell it some day).

We debated this subject over her dress as well as for the girls. She originally wanted to do the jumper/blouse thing but jumpers are super expensive new. She was able to find a handful of denim skirts at thrift stores that were lengthy enough, as well as a few blouses. She did need to add another button to the top for her tastes.

We both feel that these combos are just as modest, if not more, than her cape dresses. Not form fitting and reasonable in price when bought second hand.

She also switched from a cap-style headcovering to a hanging veil, which is also more economical. Cap coverings need to be fitted and patterns made which can get pricey, at least in our area.

Hope this helps.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Ernie wrote:
Recently I took some seekers to visit the Bercot's. They were evangelicals who are heading the kingdom Christian/cons. Anabaptist direction. The lady was asking questions about headcovering, how to find suitable clothing, why Mennonites wear uniforms, etc. David explained that it is possible for people/churches to dress appropriately for a generation or two without a uniform, but it typically doesn't last much longer than that. He explained that the Anabaptists figured out a way to pass these values on and that is why he finally gave up on house churching and joined an Anabaptist church. His hat is off to anyone who wants to navigate the challenges of charting a course that preserves modesty without specifying a uniform but he tired of all the challenges that came with his attempts at this.
I agree with Bercot. There are those personalities who love to push boundaries in every group. In Catholic parochial schools, there will children who try to individualize their uniforms. Yet the schools have found uniforms create less of a problem than a simple dress code. Dress codes require constant vigilance and policing. When the boundary-pushers try to go too far with a uniform, it immediately stands out and then everyone notices and says something to the offender.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
steve-in-kville

Forgot to mentions, there are culottes or split skirts as well:

https://www.blair.com/p/27254.uts?produ ... lsrc=aw.ds#
0 x

Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I used to date a Oneness Pentecostal girl. She spent a lot of time scouring Goodwill and various other stores for anything suitable. (Many of you would not consider her clothing modest, either. People at my former conservative Mennonite church complained her clothing was too tight, too short, etc.)

She was trying to learn to sew, as was one of her friends who started a “modest fashion blog” on Instagram.

Keep in mind a Oneness church can easily hit 500 attendees. That’ll completely clean out Goodwill’s supply of denim skirts.
0 x
steve-in-kville

In our area, the cape dress has become more of a symbol or identifier more than anything. That's why I've most likely said its purpose is outdated.

If I see a conservative woman/girl at the grocery store, I used to be able to nail down were they attend by adornments and such. Same with covering styles. It was all the rage for a while that the Charity types had a matching vest. The Dunkard church girls had squared necklines. Horning/Joe Wenger had dresses were the cape was separate from the dress. And fabric patterns, too.
0 x

Josh

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote:In our area, the cape dress has become more of a symbol or identifier more than anything. That's why I've most likely said its purpose is outdated.
I'm not advocating for the cape dress. Holdemans haven't ever really used the cape dress style, yet they continue to sew their own garments for women and girls.
If I see a conservative woman/girl at the grocery store, I used to be able to nail down were they attend by adornments and such.
I don't know why this fact bothers some people so much. It seems the only way to make such folks happy is to look identical to the world.
0 x
Ms. Izzie
Affiliation: CA

Post by Ms. Izzie »

Ernie wrote:Recently I took some seekers to visit the Bercot's. They were evangelicals who are heading the kingdom Christian/cons. Anabaptist direction. The lady was asking questions about headcovering, how to find suitable clothing, why Mennonites wear uniforms, etc. David explained that it is possible for people/churches to dress appropriately for a generation or two without a uniform, but it typically doesn't last much longer than that. He explained that the Anabaptists figured out a way to pass these values on and that is why he finally gave up on house churching and joined an Anabaptist church. His hat is off to anyone who wants to navigate the challenges of charting a course that preserves modesty without specifying a uniform but he tired of all the challenges that came with his attempts at
While I can see why people like the idea of a uniform and it can carry values with it, the secret hidden behind the uniform is that a heart may not actually be what the uniform is trying to demonstrate. Uniforms can be vehicles that carry values and people in the seats, but sometimes when the people get to where they are going the uniform and value are left behind. I don't think the Anabaptists have done well at finding out where a person's heart actually is, even while the uniform is present. Does that mean we should never have uniforms? Not necessarily. We have to do better at knowing where a person's heart and affections actually are and finding out what is motivating the wearing of the uniform. Is it really out of obedience and love for God?

A uniform doesn't have the ability to change a heart. Uniforms are tricky things. They can cover a heart that is truly wanting to honor God, but they can also cover an unrepentant heart. On the outside they can look the same.

When you have mandated uniforms for only the women, you open yourself to another whole set of problems. The way I have seen Anabaptists do this, in my opinion, accelerates the speed with which the group as a whole assimilates to the world. (Maybe that isn't something we are worried about. I thought maybe that was part of the reason for the uniform in the first place.) The uniform gets shed by the men while they are still in the church and stays off when they leave. The women do it after they leave.
0 x
Sunbeam
Affiliation:

Post by Sunbeam »

So, why is it that the modest dress isn't carried on for more than a generation or two without a uniform?

The answer to this is the root problem. The uniform might very well bandage this problem for another generation or two, but the problem it covers will not be treated. Obscured by the mask, it will grow.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Sunbeam wrote:So, why is it that the modest dress isn't carried on for more than a generation or two without a uniform?

The answer to this is the root problem. The uniform might very well bandage this problem for another generation or two, but the problem it covers will not be treated. Obscured by the mask, it will grow.
Oneness Pentecostals never had a uniform yet have remained modest, and if anything, have trended moreso, not less, compared to the 1920s. Perhaps we should seek to understand why.
0 x