College

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: College

Post by Josh »

Spending time doing Pimsleur and DuoLingo did Hebrew (a half hour a day will suffice) will get you to the point you can watch TV in Hebrew. If you can get to that point, bridging the gap to Biblical Hebrew isn’t that hard - sort of like jumping from watching modern English language TV to reading an 1611 edition KJV.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
Neto wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote:
It would be my contention that a Greek concentration like you describe may be better done in grad. school. I don't know what someone with that as an undergrad major would actually do with it.

J.M.
Bible translation. My graduate level courses were almost all in linguistics and literacy methods. (Two courses was sort of Biblical in nature, Translation I & II. But that was actually applied linguistics.)
Yes. But somehow I do not think translating minority languages, or foreign missions in general are the focus of Sattler, at least what I have read so far.

J.M.
Sorry, I did read & comment out of context. (Although I personally think that Bible translation should be a high priority for the Church - it is necessary, or at least highly beneficial, to completing the commandment received from our Master.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Neto wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote:
Neto wrote:
Bible translation. My graduate level courses were almost all in linguistics and literacy methods. (Two courses was sort of Biblical in nature, Translation I & II. But that was actually applied linguistics.)
Yes. But somehow I do not think translating minority languages, or foreign missions in general are the focus of Sattler, at least what I have read so far.

J.M.
Sorry, I did read & comment out of context. (Although I personally think that Bible translation should be a high priority for the Church - it is necessary, or at least highly beneficial, to completing the commandment received from our Master.)
Not a problem, I kinda wish that was the focus.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote:
YorkandAdams wrote:How long until faith builders becomes "EMU liberal"? Is it only a matter of time or does faith builders have a plan for combating this "cancer"?
That's a good question. People who are involved with FBEP and Sattler assure me that it will just be different this time, and to be fair to them, there are some people who are cognizant of the history of EMU. At the same time, I can't help but think of some very notable figures at EMU who were cognizant of the same thing... That's a track record that should concern anyone.

My perspective of FBEP and Sattler is that they already have strong contingents inside them that trend liberal, although at this point that's amongst the student body, not with the faculty and staff - although in my experience, university faculty and administration generally tends to trend more and more liberal over time.
For FBEP, it will depend on whether or not it transitions along with the constituency it presently serves, or whether it will decide to hold to its values, and let the congregations and fellowships fade in and out accordingly.

For Sattler, the future will depend a lot on the board and administration since there are not a couple hundred churches that it gives account to. I expect it to stay conservative for a number of decades, since the founder is in his early forties and is known to take an uncompromising stand on many things.
A couple years ago one of the board members told me that it will go liberal at some point, but he is happy to be involved with it as long as it stays conservative/scriptural.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Ernie wrote:
Josh wrote:
YorkandAdams wrote:How long until faith builders becomes "EMU liberal"? Is it only a matter of time or does faith builders have a plan for combating this "cancer"?
That's a good question. People who are involved with FBEP and Sattler assure me that it will just be different this time, and to be fair to them, there are some people who are cognizant of the history of EMU. At the same time, I can't help but think of some very notable figures at EMU who were cognizant of the same thing... That's a track record that should concern anyone.

My perspective of FBEP and Sattler is that they already have strong contingents inside them that trend liberal, although at this point that's amongst the student body, not with the faculty and staff - although in my experience, university faculty and administration generally tends to trend more and more liberal over time.
For FBEP, it will depend on whether or not it transitions along with the constituency it presently serves, or whether it will decide to hold to its values, and let the congregations and fellowships fade in and out accordingly.

For Sattler, the future will depend a lot on the board and administration since there are not a couple hundred churches that it gives account to. I expect it to stay conservative for a number of decades, since the founder is in his early forties and is known to take an uncompromising stand on many things.
A couple years ago one of the board members told me that it will go liberal at some point, but he is happy to be involved with it as long as it stays conservative/scriptural.
FBEP has the advantage of not being accredited, which permits them to hire any staff they want, even if they do not have the proper academics. Sattler lacks this advantage. My suspicion is that it will go liberal sooner, due to the pressures that accreditation brings.

This issue was why Nyack college went liberal. They had to hire faculty with diverse academic backgrounds until they had a prof. in the theology dept. that denied a literal hell. By that time, it was too late.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

From the SCROLL PUBLISHING FB page/website:
https://www.scrollpublishing.com/store/index.html

The Historic Faith / Online Christian Courses and Community
https://www.scrollpublishing.com/store/ ... faith.html
We are excited to introduce you to http://www.TheHistoricFaith.com.
The Historic Faith is the result of a partnership between Sattler College and Scroll Publishing.
This project seeks to promote the precepts of the historic Christian faith through online courses that will strengthen your love-faith relationship with Jesus and His kingdom.

Every nation prioritizes teaching its children the history of their people. Why do they do this? The story of who we are and where we came from is an essential component of identity. As we all strive to understand how Christians should relate to the most important issues of our day there is an incredible opportunity to be unified by our common spiritual ancestors. By studying the first Christians, we can learn how they navigated their diverse world and impacted humanity.

Initially, TheHistoricFaith.com is launching with six courses and we plan to regularly expand our content library. In a distraction-filled world, stay engaged with learning methods that keep you motivated by earning badges, points, levels, and certificates of completion. To get started visit TheHistoricFaith.com, enroll in your free introductory course, and explore the course catalog.

“I’m enthusiastic about partnering with Sattler College in this new online learning platform as it will free me to focus on research and teaching, while they handle the technical end of everything. As a result, I’ll be able to release far more teaching messages with fresh new content than I’ve been able to do previously. I’m also excited that this platform will make the historic faith accessible to a far larger audience than before.”
David Bercot
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

This promises “intellectual honesty”. I wonder how honest it will actually be.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote:This promises “intellectual honesty”. I wonder how honest it will actually be.
That remains to be seen. i find the idea interesting.

i’m thinking about enrolling to view this series with my granddaughter.
she’s young, but we have enjoyed some interesting things together. she’s interested.

one PBS DVD series we’ve (dabbled in) was “Ancient Roads, from Christ to Constantine,”
sadly, i cannot find a link to it anymore. this is an interesting physical walk through ancient lands, with narration of the history. probably the closest i would ever come to visiting.

for me, it was so well done, i could imagine the warm air of the desert climates, and the feel of the stones of the Roman roads underfoot. it added physical world dimension to the spiritual experiences these real life folks experienced.

i’m wondering if these two productions are in any way similar.
i thought others might like to know about it.
0 x

UNKNOWN
francis
Affiliation:

Post by francis »

temporal1 wrote:
Josh wrote:This promises “intellectual honesty”. I wonder how honest it will actually be.
That remains to be seen. i find the idea interesting.

i’m thinking about enrolling to view this series with my granddaughter.
she’s young, but we have enjoyed some interesting things together. she’s interested.

one PBS DVD series we’ve (dabbled in) was “Ancient Roads, from Christ to Constantine,”
sadly, i cannot find a link to it anymore. this is an interesting physical walk through ancient lands, with narration of the history. probably the closest i would ever come to visiting.

for me, it was so well done, i could imagine the warm air of the desert climates, and the feel of the stones of the Roman roads underfoot. it added physical world dimension to the spiritual experiences these real life folks experienced.

i’m wondering if these two productions are in any way similar.
i thought others might like to know about it.
Haven't seen it myself but I found a link for anyone interested, sold through iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-season/a ... 1093204000
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

francis:
Haven't seen it myself but I found a link for anyone interested, sold through iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-season/a ... 1093204000
thank you. :D
i don’t have that app, but, i’m glad to know where to find it.
0 x

UNKNOWN