When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Mennogal
Affiliation: Budding Mennonite

Re: Depression discussion

Post by Mennogal »

karpos wrote:
mike wrote:
karpos wrote:
The knowledge that I have it better than most of the people that have ever lived helps me when I'm feeling down.
That is very interesting. Depression really does not seem to have a correlation with "having it better" in life.
Maybe but being content whether you are rich or poor has something to do with it. I've known plenty of miserable rich people and many happy poor people.

There is a great documentary called "born rich" by jaime Johnson. The rich young heirs do not appear happy or content to me.
Depression doesn’t have an income requirement. Just look at all the musicians, poets and actors that have suffered from depression - all very successful people in their own right - who have taken their own life because of depression. I cried when I heard about Robin Williams and thought, how could I have any hope when someone like Robin chooses to end his life. Or the lead singer from one of my favorite “heretical” (lol) bands, Chester Bennington, who had a relatively new wife and children, a new life, a very successful career and the wont of nothing.

I do think that it’s a choice that has to be made. I do think it is simply, you either give in or you fight. I guess that after all these years still walking the earth, I’m a fighter.
0 x
Mennogal

Post by Mennogal »

This was posted on another thread and thought it appropriate here...
temporal1 wrote:Recently, i’ve been seeing this quote:
“Depression is living in a body that fights to survive,
with a mind that tries to die.”
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ad/77/09 ... af4735.jpg
This seems accurate.
It’s like our struggles with sin. We fight God’s Truth, but, why?

Plants, animals, microbes, don’t wrestle like humans (so often) do.
The inborn instinct to live, no matter what our brains “want.”
I find this to be an accurate statement about depression, and I believe that the weak-minded, those that lack sufficient drive and instinct, are likely the ones who don’t make it, who take their lives. Previously, I would have argued for the strength in an individual to take his/her life, but on much reflection, those of us who choose to battle it out every day are the strong ones. It’s often not easy for me, and it would be much simpler, easier, to end it all. But for whatever reason, Jesus keeps me going; He keeps me alive, and surely He must be present in me. I had fought God’s truth, to live, but eventually saw things differently and try to fight the fears and death. And it is often a struggle. I think that instinctually we do strive for life, but like saying that our instinct is to also love, instinct many times does not carry the day and our addled brains throw us off the path.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

mike wrote:That is very interesting. Depression really does not seem to have a correlation with "having it better" in life.
Depression is like other common diseases; it strikes the the poor, the wealthy, those who are sick with other illnesses, and those who are otherwise healthy.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Can depression be diagnosed by blood samples like other diseases?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

RZehr wrote:Can depression be diagnosed by blood samples like other diseases?
There aren't yet widely available tests, but research is ongoing and looks promising. There are other diseases that also don't have simple tests, like MS; instead, a process of elimination has to happen to rule out other possible causes.

Modern medicine has reached a consensus that depression is a physical disease, just like multiple sclerosis or Parkinson's.
0 x
Mennogal

Post by Mennogal »

Josh wrote:
There aren't yet widely available tests, but research is ongoing and looks promising. There are other diseases that also don't have simple tests, like MS; instead, a process of elimination has to happen to rule out other possible causes.

Modern medicine has reached a consensus that depression is a physical disease, just like multiple sclerosis or Parkinson's.
There has also been alot of research into utilization of brain scans for diagnosis. Sadly, we are just now really uncovering the mysteries of neurology, and neuropsychology has a long way to go to catch up.
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Can you diagnose a broken leg with a blood sample? Can you diagnose poor eyesight that way? How about sleep apnea?

I'm not sure that I would call depression a disease as much as a disorder. But there are ways to diagnose it, and some of those have been mentioned here.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Talking about depression, I had a call from Lucy last night at 10pm our time, the first contact in a year. I can do with prayers for wisdom. I can't walk away from her but I don't have much to offer her. For her life without baptism and membership just isn't worth living. She is on 24 hour suicide watch.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Hats Off wrote:Talking about depression, I had a call from Lucy last night at 10pm our time, the first contact in a year. I can do with prayers for wisdom. I can't walk away from her but I don't have much to offer her. For her life without baptism and membership just isn't worth living. She is on 24 hour suicide watch.
All you can do is care and pray. That's worth a lot. The rest is in God's hands.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Hats Off wrote:Talking about depression, I had a call from Lucy last night at 10pm our time, the first contact in a year. I can do with prayers for wisdom. I can't walk away from her but I don't have much to offer her. For her life without baptism and membership just isn't worth living. She is on 24 hour suicide watch.
:pray
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God