Christian Fads

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Re: Christian Fads

Post by gcdonner »

JimFoxvog wrote:A good list is being developed.

Others might be:

End Times
Rapture is coming
Christian Zionism
Jesus People
I guess you aren't a Dispensen-sationalist?
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

The Glory Barn, the Lapp Bros.' programs, and everything related to that

Pilgrimages to fake arks that can't float

"Christian" movies like Fireproof, Flywheel, &c.

"Conservative homeschooled Christian" movies like Beyond the Mask

"Christian" colleges to change the government like Patrick Henry College
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Josh wrote:The Glory Barn, the Lapp Bros.' programs, and everything related to that

Pilgrimages to fake arks that can't float

"Christian" movies like Fireproof, Flywheel, &c.

"Conservative homeschooled Christian" movies like Beyond the Mask

"Christian" colleges to change the government like Patrick Henry College
Unfortunately, some of those things you listed are not "fads", like Christian colleges which have been around for hundreds of years here in the US alone, though not all with the focus that you suggest.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

That's true. Some of the "Christian" colleges are transitioning to becoming godless, immoral institutions, like Malone University. Others, like Harvard, finished that transition a long time ago.
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

gcdonner wrote: I guess you aren't a Dispensen-sationalist?
I probably am a dispensationalist in a way. I do think that God dealt and will deal with people differently in different ages, although people get much too detailed. There was the age before the Law, the Law, the Gospel age, and there is the Age to Come.

It is my way to both believe in the authority of scripture, including God's commands for killing and war, and Jesus' teaching of love and peace.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

JimFoxvog wrote:
gcdonner wrote: I guess you aren't a Dispensen-sationalist?
I probably am a dispensationalist in a way. I do think that God dealt and will deal with people differently in different ages, although people get much too detailed. There was the age before the Law, the Law, the Gospel age, and there is the Age to Come.

It is my way to both believe in the authority of scripture, including God's commands for killing and war, and Jesus' teaching of love and peace.
I see that as the difference between covenants, one of law and one of grace/truth, as John says, "The law came by Moses, but grace and truth through the Lord Jesus Christ."
What age to come? The only age to come for me is heaven...
0 x
JimFoxvog

Post by JimFoxvog »

gcdonner wrote: I see that as the difference between covenants, one of law and one of grace/truth, as John says, "The law came by Moses, but grace and truth through the Lord Jesus Christ."
I think the language of covenants is more biblical, but a dispensation to me is mostly synonymous.
gcdonner wrote:What age to come? The only age to come for me is heaven...
Jesus taught of a resurrection, probably similar, but not exactly the same as heaven. I fit this with the new heaven and new earth of Revelation. Should I call it the Resurrection Age?
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

JimFoxvog wrote:
gcdonner wrote: I see that as the difference between covenants, one of law and one of grace/truth, as John says, "The law came by Moses, but grace and truth through the Lord Jesus Christ."
I think the language of covenants is more biblical, but a dispensation to me is mostly synonymous.
gcdonner wrote:What age to come? The only age to come for me is heaven...
Jesus taught of a resurrection, probably similar, but not exactly the same as heaven. I fit this with the new heaven and new earth of Revelation. Should I call it the Resurrection Age?
Being a Preterist, I see the new age/coming age as already present and that the general resurrection began at the cross initially (remember those that rose and went about Jerusalem after the crucifixion?), but was fulfilled in the end of the age, ie, the OC age in AD 70 when it passed away and the NC came into full bloom. (see Heb 8:13) The resurrection continues on down through history, as does the "rapture". The "new heaven & the new earth" are synonymous with the New Jerusalem, which the writer of Hebrews told his readers they were already coming to. (Heb 12:22-24)
But perhaps this should all be discussed in another thread, since eschatology itself is not a fad, though some forms of it are.
0 x
JimFoxvog

Post by JimFoxvog »

gcdonner wrote:But perhaps this should all be discussed in another thread, since eschatology itself is not a fad, though some forms of it are.
OK, I started a new thread, Preterism, under Theology. I'd like to hear more.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

JimFoxvog wrote:
gcdonner wrote:But perhaps this should all be discussed in another thread, since eschatology itself is not a fad, though some forms of it are.
OK, I started a new thread, Preterism, under Theology. I'd like to hear more.
I started, so let's see where we can go.
0 x