Standing When an Adult Enters the Room

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: Standing When an Adult Enters the Room

Post by Neto »

Ernie wrote:
Valerie wrote:Same with when 'the judge' enters a courtroom. It's a matter of 'respect'.
Is this still the norm in all parts of the USA?
If one can make any assumption based on how it is portrayed in films, the bailiff announces the entrance of the judge by saying "All rise", then the name of the judge. (The only time I was in a court room the judge was already there. Texas, pulled in for accidentally turning up a one-way street.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Ernie wrote:
Valerie wrote:Same with when 'the judge' enters a courtroom. It's a matter of 'respect'.
I'm not sure- I know when I've been in a courtroom- in CA & OH, bailiff announced - "All rise" when the judge was entering the room if I remember right- it could be like Neto said by way of films I've seen-

I would be guessing to answer your question.
0 x
cmbl
Affiliation: Pilgrim, NMB

Post by cmbl »

Neto wrote:
Ernie wrote:
If one can make any assumption based on how it is portrayed in films, the bailiff announces the entrance of the judge by saying "All rise", then the name of the judge. (The only time I was in a court room the judge was already there. Texas, pulled in for accidentally turning up a one-way street.)
When I was in high school, I visited a (federal?) court in Philadelphia as part of a school field trip. We were told to rise by our teachers (and court staff, if I remember correctly). The judge we visited was a fairly humble, personable fellow, and mentioned he considered rising as a symbol of respect for the office rather than for him himself. But we did rise each time he entered the room.

I was a courtroom visitor when Timo Miller was released. (It was some kind of hearing to determine whether Timo would need to serve more time - and the answer was no.) We got the "all rise" from a member of the court staff (perhaps the bailiff), though I don't think we got the judge's name.

Can't say as to all parts, but it seems to be the norm in the Northeast U.S. (I for one would very much look askance at someone who failed to rise if they were able.)
0 x
"Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."
Biblical Anabaptist
Affiliation: Unaffiliated Menno

Post by Biblical Anabaptist »

Ernie wrote:Can anybody tell me when and why the practice started of children standing when an adult enters the room?

Can anybody tell me why this school only expects 4th and 5th graders to do so? https://www.sjs.org/about-sjs/our-mission
Actually that practice is very old
“Thou shalt rise up before the hoary head, and honour the face of the old man, and fear thy God: I am the LORD.” Lev 19:32
It appears from this verse that respect for elders is somehow related to our fear of God. I was not allowed to call uncles and aunts just by their given names without prefacing it with Aunt or Uncle. We taught our children the same. It seems in the circles I move in that practice is fast fading away. Frankly this bothers me a bit.

And speaking of the South. Where my daughter lives in GA, if a funeral procession approaches from the opposite direction, you are expected to pull to the side of the road and stop until it passes even when on a divided 4 lane highway.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Biblical Anabaptist wrote:
Ernie wrote:Can anybody tell me when and why the practice started of children standing when an adult enters the room?

Can anybody tell me why this school only expects 4th and 5th graders to do so? https://www.sjs.org/about-sjs/our-mission
“Thou shalt rise up before the hoary head, and honour the face of the old man, and fear thy God: I am the LORD.” Lev 19:32
It appears from this verse that respect for elders is somehow related to our fear of God. I was not allowed to call uncles and aunts just by their given names without prefacing it with Aunt or Uncle. We taught our children the same. It seems in the circles I move in that practice is fast fading away. Frankly this bothers me a bit.

And speaking of the South. Where my daughter lives in GA, if a funeral procession approaches from the opposite direction, you are expected to pull to the side of the road and stop until it passes even when on a divided 4 lane highway.
The Aunt & Uncle thing. In my background (Mennonite Brethren "Russian Mennonite") it is insulting to an uncle or aunt to not be addressed in that way by their nieces and nephews. (Where as in my wife's Amish background, it would be cold and stand-offish to do so. It kinda' bothered me when my wife's nieces & nephews didn't address me that way, and although my wife told me that they aren't MY nieces & nephews, only hers, some of them DO call me Uncle.) Also, all older folks in the congregation were always addressed that way, regardless of whether there was any family relationship at all.
And yes, we always pulled off to the side of the road when a funeral procession passed, although there were no four-lane highways anywhere near where I grew up, back then, so I don't know about that. (I always thought it was the law to do so.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Biblical Anabaptist

Neto wrote:
Biblical Anabaptist wrote:

The Aunt & Uncle thing. In my background (Mennonite Brethren "Russian Mennonite") it is insulting to an uncle or aunt to not be addressed in that way by their nieces and nephews. (Where as in my wife's Amish background, it would be cold and stand-offish to do so. It kinda' bothered me when my wife's nieces & nephews didn't address me that way, and although my wife told me that they aren't MY nieces & nephews, only hers, some of them DO call me Uncle.) Also, all older folks in the congregation were always addressed that way, regardless of whether there was any family relationship at all.
And yes, we always pulled off to the side of the road when a funeral procession passed, although there were no four-lane highways anywhere near where I grew up, back then, so I don't know about that. (I always thought it was the law to do so.)
I don't know if it is a law but my son-in-law was pulled over by law enforcement for not pulling over on a 4 lane (not interstate)
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

My husband said it's a Scottish practice (he's Scotch/Irish) both for children to rise, and men to rise when a woman enters. So far no one has answered your questions, fully
0 x
Pelerin
Affiliation:

Post by Pelerin »

I always thought of it as kind of an older British thing. I can’t find quite the right word for it, but looking at their website it looks like the kind of school that likes to put on fancy and formal airs, and the rising for the teacher is just a part of it.
0 x
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

Ken wrote:
Neto wrote:
Ken wrote:I don't know about standing. But calling adults "sir" and "Ma'am" is definitely still a southern thing. My kids picked it up in Texas when we lived there and their teachers here in WA all found it quaint when we moved.
I grew up in Oklahoma (whether that counts as 'The South' or not is a matter for someone else to resolve), and at 65, after not having lived in any place that could be called 'The South' for over 35 years, I still address men, even those much younger than myself, as 'Sir'. Now with women it's a bit more tricky, as many now-a-days take offense at being addressed as "Ma'am". (But I do occasionally slip up & use that form of address.)
In Texas if you call the wrong woman "Ma'am" you'll probably get a "Well bless your heart honey...but you can call me____"
A Hispanic boy of about nine held the door open for me at the post office, so I responded with a "Thank you, sir." He turned excitedly to his mom and said, "Did you hear that? She called me 'sir'!" I looked back and grinned. He acted like a gentleman, so I treated him as one.
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Biblical Anabaptist

Neto wrote:
Ernie wrote:
I have attended court on numerous occasions working with ex-convicts and I think it has always been asked that you rise when the judge enters the room. Also, one of my nephews as a small boy who was tired got sharply reprimanded for sitting at the changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldier.

I have also been present at church services here the congregation stood for the reading of the Scripture.
0 x