You Know You're Part of Your _____ Family If ...

The lighter side of things. A place for humor and joyful things.
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

You Know You're Part of Your _____ Family If ...

Post by Joy »

Here's a creative way to bring back family memories. Facebook has a similar one for my town, which gave me the idea, although I'm not on Facebook.

This is an abridged list that I wrote of my own family. Read and laugh. Or scowl, as the case may be. :D Then maybe write your own.

YOU KNOW YOU'RE A ___________ IF:

You know how to do concrete work.
You think six children is a medium-to-small family.
The only bling you owned growing up was siblings.
You’ve learned to play at least one instrument.
Chocolate is on your list of Heaven’s glories.
You were virtually bald for two years after birth.
You understand early that we need to serve the Lord.
Spiders don’t scare you as a female.
Books are as necessary as breathing.
You can milk goats and cows with the best of them.
You are athletic; probably have run in road races (yep, I ran in a skirt).
You started ministry young, by parental edict.
You are competitive.
You consider missionary barrels fun.
Humor plays a large part in your outlook on life (especially if you are the youngest).
Hunting holds little appeal for you.
Growing up, Blue Room/Pink Room meant the outhouse.
You’ve been a teacher.
You know what a PK is, ‘cause you were one.
You learned to read young, from the Bible.
What is central heating?
Part of family devotions was reading inspirational books.
One year your Christmas gift was exchanging names, with a .25 limit.
You caught June bugs and tied them to thread.
Climbing trees was a childhood pastime.
You did your stint on the platform of black school chapels, whether (a preschooler) behind the curtain or onstage.
You were well acquainted with the board of education applied to the seat of learning.
You have a habit of whistling under your breath.
You kept the family rule, “No fighting and no play fighting” in mind when you felt antsy.
You lived in a slave cabin at one time (all but me).
Tea is the medicine to pour over wounds to make them scab properly.
Ice cream was essential to a family gathering.
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Re: You Know You're Part of Your _____ Family If ...

Post by Hats Off »

Joy wrote:Here's a creative way to bring back family memories. Facebook has a similar one for my town, which gave me the idea, although I'm not on Facebook.

This is an abridged list that I wrote of my own family. Read and laugh. Or scowl, as the case may be. :D Then maybe write your own.

YOU KNOW YOU'RE A ___________ IF:

You know how to do concrete work. check
You think six children is a medium-to-small family. check
The only bling you owned growing up was siblings. check
You’ve learned to play at least one instrument.
Chocolate is on your list of Heaven’s glories. check
You were virtually bald for two years after birth.
You understand early that we need to serve the Lord.
Spiders don’t scare you as a female.
Books are as necessary as breathing.check
You can milk goats and cows with the best of them.my sisters - not I, that is girls work!
You are athletic; probably have run in road races (yep, I ran in a skirt).
You started ministry young, by parental edict.
You are competitive.
You consider missionary barrels fun.
Humor plays a large part in your outlook on life (especially if you are the youngest).
Hunting holds little appeal for you. check
Growing up, Blue Room/Pink Room meant the outhouse.
You’ve been a teacher. no but my father, 3 sisters and 3 daughters are/were
You know what a PK is, ‘cause you were one.
You learned to read young, from the Bible.
What is central heating? check
Part of family devotions was reading inspirational books.check
One year your Christmas gift was exchanging names, with a .25 limit. feels about right
You caught June bugs and tied them to thread.that is too cruel
Climbing trees was a childhood pastime.
You did your stint on the platform of black school chapels, whether (a preschooler) behind the curtain or onstage.
You were well acquainted with the board of education applied to the seat of learning. :shock: What? Never!
You have a habit of whistling under your breath. not whistling, but singing
You kept the family rule, “No fighting and no play fighting” in mind when you felt antsy. check
You lived in a slave cabin at one time (all but me).
Tea is the medicine to pour over wounds to make them scab properly.
Ice cream was essential to a family gathering. check
Too much work to try to come up with a list but enjoyed reading yours.

One night before Christmas when we went to bed, my father was breaking the plaster off a section of wall between two windows. Our's was an old log house - his excuse was that wall is too drafty. I thought it was weird starting that late in the day just before Christmas. Next morning that wall was a black board! Even the Monopoly game was not used as much as that blackboard was. It was our best Christmas gift ever.
0 x
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

Probably this would appeal more to the older generation with happy childhoods. We've had more time to consider/hash over our childhoods and appreciate family.

Now I don't think the June bugs were ever hurt by our leashing them like dogs. That's not to say they didn't run screaming when they saw us coming, though. :shock:

By ministry, I mean visiting nursing homes and singing, giving flannelgraph Bible stories at school, stuff like that. Not being put on the street preaching like my friend was at twelve, and he hated it.

Hats Off, it sounds like your dad was a creative parent. Such a better present than a video game that addicts children, maybe to violent behavior.

That's nice that you were the perfect kid, and never needed a paddling, unlike me! ;)
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

I do remember several reprimands I got from my father; there were very few words and no shouting but I knew what he meant. As a boy, sitting in the young boy's section at church, a teen sitting behind me was bugging me. I was turned around defending myself, when my father came, took me by the arm and asked me to sit on the front bench. At home I protested, saying it wasn't my fault; he was being mean to me. Dad just said "then it is good that I asked you to move to the front bench."
0 x